1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Snyder and his recruiting strategy.

Discussion in 'Other Teams' started by joncarl, Apr 19, 2017.

1. NUinID

NUinID Red Shirt

No, you are right in many cases in a lot of small towns across Nebraska and the mid west in general football partisipation is down. So there will be less talent.

No Byzata and Ott were not "Diamonds in the Rough" They were just looked down apon because they didn't come from big time HS football by the previous staff. I mean look at the Englehaup kid out of Norfolk Catholic. He was given a plan C scholarship the weekend before signing day. He is going to play a lot this year as a Rfrosh. He was second on the TE list of receptions in the spring game. The Snyder kid out of Cali that was suppose to be great had 1 reception. I know he has been hurt a lot. But the plan C kid is going to play a lot this year and he was an afterthought.

2. The Big Red Lebowski

The Big Red Lebowski Travel Squad 5 Year Member

I hear ya. It wouldn't bother me at all if more Nebraska kids got scholarships. I'd definitely prefer a marginal local talent to a marginal California or Texas talent.

The fan base can be really hypocritical when it comes to home grown players though. If a local kid doesn't pan out, the fans wonder why he was offered at all (see Kreikemeier, Micah). The only walk-ons that are celebrated are the really good ones (e.g., Janovich). Guys likes Dylan Utter get completely eviscerated. The story goes from "scrappy walk-on inspires scholarship players" to "we need a big-time recruiter if we are ever gong to win" in a big hurry.

3. BigRedFox

BigRedFox Scout Team 2 Year Member

Yes, aware of that. I was thinking he was after Herian, but I guess he was a year or two before.

4. NUinID

NUinID Red Shirt

Kreikemeier was a little bit of a reach, but I do remember him making a little headway as rfrosh or soph in a spring game he just couldn't stay healthy. He was always nicked up.

I am not bagging on Matt Snyder either, he was a good recruit and he may pan out if he can stay healthy.

IMO TE are are an easy homegrown football player. There are so many 6'4" 215 lb guys with decent hands and decent speedplaying on teams all over the Midwest it's almost silly. Bring them in put 30 lbs on them and you have a very serviceable TE.

5. Bean

Bean Grey Shirt 2 Year Member

I have always been impressed with Snyder and his coaching ability/preparation to win games with the athletes he has.