• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bill Snyder and his recruiting strategy.

http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post...recruiting-strategy-continues-to-defy-and-win

While I may never, ever like K-state, there is something about Bill Snyder that I like. He is a heck of a coach and I love this philosophy. It would work wonders at Nebraska (I think).

Nebraska used to get instate guys that most would consider under the radar all the time. Guys that would never have been any more than a 2* recruite with any service. Guys like Terry Connely, Shane Swanson, Randall Jobman, Mark Daum, Loren Kaiser, Dean Steinkhuler, Brett Clark, Matt Davison, Russ Hochstein and the list goes on. These guys were good football players from small town Nebraska that got Scholarships to play at Nebraska right out of HS.

Who is the last kid that was below class B that got a scholarship to play football at Nebraka. I can't remember, everyone of those guys I just listed played at C or below. Four of them played 8 man football.

Last edited:
Nebraska used to get instate guys that most would consider under the radar all the time. Guys that would never have been any more than a 2* recruite with any service. Guys like Terry Connely, Shane Swanson, Randall Jobman, Mark Daum, Loren Kaiser, Dean Steinkhuler, Brett Clark, Matt Davison, Russ Hochstein and the list goes on. These guys were good football players from small town Nebraska that got Scholarships to play at Nebraska right out of HS.

Who is the last kid that was below class B that got a scholarship to play football at Nebraka. I can't remember, everyone of those guys I just listed played at C or below. Four of them played 8 man football.

Maybe Matt Herian out of Norfolk Catholic?

Maybe Matt Herian out of Norfolk Catholic?

That would be a good choice, he went to Pierce. Played C1 football was phenominal athlete. Watched him play 4-5 times in HS. Lets see that was over 12-13 years ago.

That would be a good choice, he went to Pierce. Played C1 football was phenominal athlete. Watched him play 4-5 times in HS. Lets see that was over 12-13 years ago.

2002? I don't know for sure if there were any others, he just kind of popped into my head so I looked him up.

Zach Sterup from Hastings St. Cecilia. 2011, is another one, but you are right there are not alot of them.

Kind of funny as I was looking up players that fit the category of class c and below on Huskers.com, if you went to the roster and sorted alphabetically but home town and position the player listed right under Sterup is Peyton Newell from Hiawatha Kansas, population 3100. We might have had more players from small towns in other states than our own state.

2002? I don't know for sure if there were any others, he just kind of popped into my head so I looked him up.

Zach Sterup from Hastings St. Cecilia. 2011, is another one, but you are right there are not alot of them.
Sterup there you go. Not a lot inbetween him and Herian.

Sterup there you go. Not a lot inbetween him and Herian.

The thing is that Hastings SC and Norfolk Catholic are power houses. I am sure there are some more but I doubt if you get off the beaten path (lesser known schools) you won't find many. In the article it sounds like Bill and his staff go into each school regardless of there talent level or how good the team is. This is not a knock on this staff at all, I am a big Mike fan, but I just like the philosophy of touching base with each school and coach so maybe if that diamond in the rough shows up, the foot is in the door.

The thing is that Hastings SC and Norfolk Catholic are power houses. I am sure there are some more but I doubt if you get off the beaten path (lesser known schools) you won't find many. In the article it sounds like Bill and his staff go into each school regardless of there talent level or how good the team is. This is not a knock on this staff at all, I am a big Mike fan, but I just like the philosophy of touching base with each school and coach so maybe if that diamond in the rough shows up, the foot is in the door.

The real problem is that Nebraska just doesn't want to miss on these small town guys. Lots of them are taking D2 and lots of 1AA scholarshipss. SDSU, SDU, NDSU, and NDU are full of kids like this.

As good as Snyder is, Nebraska fans would not accept his results at NU. Since his return to K State in 2009, he's averaged 4.63 losses per season. That won't cut it.

In a parallel universe where Snyder is coaching NU, the hope would be that he could attract more talent than KSU and thus win more games. If he used the exact approach he uses at KSU - recruit the same JUCOS and scout the small towns for "diamonds in the rough," I don't see how he'd achieve anything better than KSU-like results.

Osborne is one of the greatest college coaches of all-time, but it was the influx of talent that took him from winning 9 games to winning 12 or 13. It took Gill/Rozier/Fryar to get to the title game. It took Frazier/Phillips and Frost/Green and more talent on defense (Wistrom, Peter Bros, T. Farley, Mike and Ralph Brown et al) to start winning titles.

In both those eras, there was also obviously stellar O-line play. It's the "pipeline" that so many fans seem to think would magically return if we just had a Nebraska guy dong it Tom's way at the helm.

It seems like Bo and a staff of Solich guys (including an ex-Husker lineman coaching the OL) with Tom himself as the steward at AD would have been perfectly positioned to recruit and develop local O-line talent like the glory days. And yet, not one consensus All-American lineman and very few All-Conference performers were recruited or developed during Bo's tenure.

Last edited:
As good as Snyder is, Nebraska fans would not accept his results at NU. Since his return to K State in 2009, he's averaged 4.63 losses per season. That won't cut it.

In a parallel universe where Snyder is coaching NU, the hope would be that he could attract more talent than KSU and thus win more games. If he used the exact approach he uses at KSU - recruit the same JUCOS and scout the small towns for "diamonds in the rough," I don't see how he'd achieve anything better than KSU-like results.

Osborne is one of the greatest college coaches of all-time, but it was the influx of talent that took him from winning 9 games to winning 12 or 13. It took Gill/Rozier/Fryar to get to the title game. It took Frazier/Phillips and Frost/Green and more talent on defense (Wistrom, Peter Bros, T. Farley, Mike and Ralph Brown et al) to start winning titles.

In both those eras, there was also obviously stellar O-line play. It's the "pipeline" that so many fans seem to think would magically return if we just had a Nebraska guy dong it Tom's way at the helm.

It seems like Bo and a staff of Solich guys (including an ex-Husker lineman coaching the OL) with Tom himself as the steward at AD would have been perfectly positioned to recruit and develop local O-line talent like the glory days. And yet, not one consensus All-American lineman and very few All-Conference performers were recruited or developed during Bo's tenure.

Dude, I agree, most Nebraska fans see the 10-2 seasons that Snyder has put up since his return but forget about the 6-6 ones inbetween.

I do agree that only real talent is going to take Nebraska where most fans want to be, but I do feel there are always a few "Diamonds in the Rough" in the small towns. Ott and Byzata are great examples of kids that would hve killed to play at Nebraska and were not even given a sniff. Obviously BP evaluation left something to be desired cause Iowa sure thought enough of them to offer.

I don't think it is an every year thing, but there are definitely small town kids that can contribute.

Last edited:

Dude, I agree, most Nebraska fans see the 10-2 seasons that Snyder has put up since his return but forget about the 6-6 ones inbetween.

I do agree that only real talent is going to take Nebraska where most fans want to be, but I do feel there are always a few "Diamonds in the Rough" in the small towns. Ott and Byzata are great examples of kids that would hve killed to play at Nebraska and were not even given a sniff. Obviously BP evaluation left something to be desired cause Iowa sure thought enough of them to offer.

I don't think it is an every year thing, but there are definitely small town kids that can contribute.

There's some talent in small town Nebraska, but I'm not sure how much of it is overlooked anymore. I agree that Ott and Bazata should have gotten NU offers, especially given how difficult it is to recruit D-line talent. But when they are getting 3 stars from Rivals and offers from Iowa, it's hard to call them hidden gems anymore. All 3-star+ O and D line talent from Nebraska should probably get scholarship offers from NU.

It's my understanding that participation in 8-man football and just high school football overall is way down in Nebraska vs. 25 years ago. Beyond Nebraska kids taking scholarships elsewhere instead of walking on like the glory days, I wonder if there is just less talent period? There really were a ton of Nebraska kids on the 3-deep O-line back in the day. Where'd they all go? If they are being overlooked by NU and then lighting it up at Ohio or SDSU, I'm not hearing much about it.

Last edited:

There's some talent in small town Nebraska, but I'm not sure how much of it is overlooked anymore. I agree that Ott and Bazata should have gotten NU offers, especially given how difficult it is to recruit D-line talent. But when they are getting 3 stars from Rivals and offers from Iowa, it's hard to call them hidden gems anymore. All 3-star+ O and D line talent from Nebraska should probably get scholarship offers from NU.

It's my understanding that participation in 8-man football and just high school football overall is way down in Nebraska vs. 25 years ago. Beyond Nebraska kids taking scholarships elsewhere instead of walking on like the glory days, I wonder if there is just less talent period? There really were a ton of Nebraska kids on the 3-deep O-line back in the day. Where'd they all go? If they are being overlooked by NU and then lighting it up at Ohio or SDSU, I'm not hearing much about it.

The bolded statement is definitely something to consider.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back