• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Biggest worry for an offensive replacement in 2019

Biggest position worry for 2019

• Replacing Stanley Morgan at WR

Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Replacing Devine Ozigbo at RB

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • Replacing Tanner Farmer at C

Votes: 51 44.0%
  • Replacing Jerald Foster at G

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Center!
Everything starts with restoring the Pipeline.

Understanding this is similar to what they say about understanding the military:
"amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics"

Well here amateurs talk WR and RB while professionals talk "big uglies" :)

I voted for Farmer. You have to win the battle in the trenches first. QB needs protection so he can work his magic.

We keep hearing how a lot of this offense will mask the O-line's need to hold blocks and be overwhelming. I thought Farmer was OK at the position last year, but he wasnt a guy I thought we couldnt live without. He played in what, 9 games his whole career there? Hell, I was more worried about whether he was going to be able to get the ball to AM on the snap than I was his blocking.

Stan was far and away our best WR. The guy was a leader in that room of little experience. I love JD, and the guy is crazy explosive, but if we needed a catch, Stan was the guy I hoped we threw it to. Our all time receiving leader, yards and catches. The only guy the ever hit 1000 yards. 38 straight games with a reception. Thats a huge hole, in an offense where we struggled to put capable WR's on the field last year, especially when JD was hurt.

Doing a write-up and trying to incorporate others thoughts with it. I will be doing this with the defense tomorrow, but would like the boards opinion on offense so I can post my thread tonight. In your mind, what is the most pivotal position to replace for 2019, and what position are you the most worried about? For example, we lose Ozigbo, but we have Maurice Washington, are you more worried about that than who we have to replace Stanley Morgan on the outside? You can only choose one, just trying to get a gauge.
We have lacked a quality center for many years. Will there be someone to fill the void? Jurgens? Need someone to step up and lead the O-line.

Last edited:
Seemed to be a huge drop off when JD got hurt, going to be a huge drop off with out Morgan.

I'll give another Farmer vote.

A collection of players will gain the yardage and score the TDs that Stanley provided. I expect the passing attack to improve despite losing Stanley Morgan because better overall talent in the room. Wandale, Chase, and Nance will likely all contribute this year. McQuitty has a chance to step up. Mike Williams should be a year better.

There's enough talent coming into the RB room to go along w/ Mo Washington (who I'm excited to see after a good year of S&C).

Who replaces Farmer is a much more difficult question and a position that holds a ton of responsibility. It will be interesting to see if they think Jurgens will be ready (I don't think so). Then do they think that Desmond Bland could come in late and figure it out? I'm not of the opinion that they should pass on Bland. If he's an NFL talent like many seem to think, you bring him in whether you get a full 2 or just 1.5 out of him.

The thing that worries me about the center position is that I don’t see anyone “waiting in the wings”. Our options are maybe a walk-on, Jurgens, who’s never played the position, is currently under-weight, and coming off of injuries the past two years, moving a scholarship player who’s also never played the position and hasn’t been able to crack the starting lineup at guard or tackle, or hoping for a JUCO who may or may not make it to Lincoln.

Rairdon (sp?) if he’s developed at all should/could be an option at center. Any know how he is coming along?

A collection of players will gain the yardage and score the TDs that Stanley provided. I expect the passing attack to improve despite losing Stanley Morgan because better overall talent in the room. Wandale, Chase, and Nance will likely all contribute this year. McQuitty has a chance to step up. Mike Williams should be a year better.

I keep hearing this from people, but the guys you listed have a grand total of 12 receptions between them - all by Williams. Add in Warner’s 17 and that’s about it aside from JD. We had another JUCO guy come in and snag 1 catch for us. McQuittybhasbt even sniffed the field yet. We had to resort to a walk on RS-Fr starting games in 3 wide sets.

I’m just not ready to count on any freshman, let alone kids that haven’t even stepped on campus yet, in an offense that relies so much on timing and route running, along with blocking from its WR. I think we’re going to be hurting there big time.

I picker Farmer at center if for no other reason than knowing how high SF felt about Jurgens at TE, having him convert to center speaks volumes to what Scott has identified as an area that needs an upgrade.

Quite torn on a choice between Farmer and Stan, but chose Farmer. OL strength/experience/skill is critical ... not suggesting TF was All-Conference material, but OL play improved with him in the middle and Nebraska loses significant snaps at the position for 2019. Big hole to fill IMO.

I went with Ziggy . . . he was just such a beast and as good as Mo was, he's just a totally different kind of runner. Washington shows flashes and is better as a receiver, but he's yet to pop the same home runs that Ziggy did repeatedly. Need to find another back who can make the defense a little scared.

Farmer was better than Conrad and he was better as C than G . . . but he was pretty average as a C, IMHO. Got the job done, and thank God he did. But we ought to be able to come up with "good enough" again. Foster was ok, too, but it doesn't seem like we ever had a game where you walked away from it going "boy, Farmer and Foster really graded the road".

Losing Morgan could hurt, but assuming JD is healthy and Frost's offense does what it should . . . should be ok there.

GET TICKETS

Back