• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Biggest worry for an offensive replacement in 2019

Biggest position worry for 2019

• Replacing Stanley Morgan at WR

Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Replacing Devine Ozigbo at RB

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • Replacing Tanner Farmer at C

Votes: 51 44.0%
  • Replacing Jerald Foster at G

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I'm not as worried about the receiver and running back position because of depth at both. I'm trusting that its next man up. Last year Ozigbo wasn't the back we saw the first 3 years and I'm guessing we will have a back or two next year that look much better than they did their first year or two. Same at wide receiver.

I agree with you on the RB. DO developed and was a much better player than anyone thought he would be, which in my opinion adds confidence that similar improvement can occur from somebody in the RB room next year as well. WR on the other hand, had many players who were given a full season to step up and make plays, yet the IA game showed that nobody was able to fill that role. Having a number of bodies at a position is better than having nobody, but if they can't develop into reliable targets, i think SM is missed the most. Without a 2nd option, Spielman sees more coverage and the entire crew will struggle.

Reactions: RMR
I think Ozigbo turned into exactly what Frost wanted. A back that could lower his head and get that extra couple yards everytime, but also had speed to breakaway from 90% of defenders. The transformation that kid made was nothing short of amazing, Duval deserves a ton of credit there.

Yeah, I definitely didn't see that coming from Ozigbo. Although it's not like he had a ton of opportunities his previous 3 years. But would you agree that if Frost gets the talent and speed he wants at RB, we won't see someone get that % of carries in this offense?

Get the right guy at center and see this offense go to an entirely different level in year two.

Yup. I voted for Farmer also. And he brought assets to the developing culture (along with Foster, Morgan, and Zigs) as well. We had a small but extremely influential group of seniors as starters last year, and their replacements will necessarily be young guys. Good for long term...but may create growing pains at times...

I was really thinking Farmer on the O-line, but ultimately I went with Morgan. We need a playmaker to help Spielman. You don't just snap your fingers and replace a guy that gained almost 2000 yards receiving the past two seasons... do you?

For the record, I'm a guy that if I had to build a team from the ground up, I'd worry about an offensive line first and foremost. But Morgan was a record-setting talent; Farmer was good, but not spectacular. If we were talking about replacing an Outland Trophy winner, my vote would probably be different.

It is tight between Stan and OZ. The difference is I think we have a lot more talent at WR. Ozigbo was a different type of back to replace. Especially if we do not get Mills. Then we do not have a similar back. Not to say we do not have good backs just no one like him.
I think the exact opposite ... there is enough talent onhand ... and already committed that we will be fine at RB. Mills would be nice but we have sufficient albeit young depth.

I just do not see who on the roster is going to come anywhere close to replacing Stanley Morgan's production next year. Third best wideout this past season was a walk-on - Kade Warner.

I think the exact opposite ... there is enough talent onhand ... and already committed that we will be fine at RB. Mills would be nice but we have sufficient albeit young depth.

I just do not see who on the roster is going to come anywhere close to replacing Stanley Morgan's production next year. Third best wideout this past season was a walk-on - Kade Warner.
Wandale is coming in early. Looks to be just what the Dr. ordered. Not big but dang is he fast. Already being compared to Rondale Moore. The WR almost no one could stop.

Reactions: RMR
My guess is that the other teams had to scheme for Morgan more than anyone else on our team, and rightly so. He was an exdcellent recevier and among the best we have ever had. He will be the hardest to replace, and a key to the offense. I hope those are right who say we have replacements on the shelf, but I haven't seen that yet. It would be great if it turns out to be the case. As for linemen, both lines have to get stronger and more agile, and at last they are recruiting that way. But regardless of how good a lineman the guy may be, only a great pass rushing end means as much to a team as a receiver that requires the other team to scheme specifically for him, in my opinion.

I cannot argue with anyone who picked Farmer but what tipped the scales for me was the leadership that Morgan provided in addition to his exceptional talent. I get the impression the ownership of Frost's teams are/will be player centered and player leadership will be critical to his teams success.

I was really thinking Farmer on the O-line, but ultimately I went with Morgan. We need a playmaker to help Spielman. You don't just snap your fingers and replace a guy that gained almost 2000 yards receiving the past two seasons... do you?

For the record, I'm a guy that if I had to build a team from the ground up, I'd worry about an offensive line first and foremost. But Morgan was a record-setting talent; Farmer was good, but not spectacular. If we were talking about replacing an Outland Trophy winner, my vote would probably be different.

Pfft, you nod your head and blink your eyes Thill, c’mon man! :Biggrin:

On the serious side both you an Pop Corn bring very good counters to the discussion, with leadership and sheer production. My vote is still on the line/center position as I want to believe Frost’s culture will naturally build leaders and there has been a lot of recruiting focus on skill players. That said, outside of Speilman I don’t see anyone filling Morgan shoes, Mcquitty or someone needs a strong push to help free up Speilman. I only mentioned Mcquitty as Frost personally named him mid late in season as someone making a push (it was in a presser, sorry no link). I just think we find a skill player that has matured enough to show some leadership, understand defenses, run capable routes, block, and catch enough balls to free up JD and Mo and AM needs some protection to be able to find them... my :Sign2cents:

Replacement for Farmer first and a replacement for Ozigbo is a close second. We saw how the OL performed when Farmer slid over and Ozigbo took over.

1) "Right now" the Center position is in a tough spot because Nebraska is looking at Benhart (true FR) to be ready to fill a slot so another guy can move over. You then have two walk-ons that are in your top 3 at the position. Depth at C is not good.

2) Mo Washington is definitely not a replacement for Ozigbo and if Nebraska doesn't get Dedrick Mills then Nebraska doesn't have the big thumper at RB. The next "biggest" guy on the roster is Mazour at 200lbs. The next "viable" option is true FR Rahmir Johnson but he needs to add some muscle to his frame. R. Tompkins's status (knee) is up in the air. J. Bradley is MIA and the rest of the RBs don't have the frames to add a lot of muscle nor the experience.

RB thoughts: Nebraska doesn't necessarily need a 220lb RB, but in this offense it helps because they take a lot of hits. Which is why, as you recall, Mo Washington limped off the field a lot and was one play away from getting broken in half. That kid needs to add muscle to his frame. The O needs "at least" 2 true RBs in this offense.

GET TICKETS

Back