• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Biggest worry for a defensive replacement in 2019

Who is the biggest worry to replace in 2019?

• NG Mick Stoltenberg

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • DE Freedom Akinmoladun

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OLB Luke Gifford

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • ILB Dedrick Young

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Safeties Antonio Reed, Tre Neal, Aaron Williams

Votes: 51 51.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Same as the offensive poll... which spot are you most worried about replacing for 2019 on defense. Take into account your thoughts on who we have filling that void, so for example when we lost Ozigbo, did it not matter to you because we still had Washington and Mills committed? Curious everyone's thoughts before my write-up.

Same as the offensive poll... which spot are you most worried about replacing for 2019 on defense. Take into account your thoughts on who we have filling that void, so for example when we lost Ozigbo, did it not matter to you because we still had Washington and Mills committed? Curious everyone's thoughts before my write-up.
If he had played most of the year last year I would probably be saying big Miick. As it was his backups got most of the time. So it came down to the Safeties and the system knowledge leaving with our transplant, or the OLB Luke Gifford. I picked Luke because I thought he was the inspirational leader of the team. The best athletes still need a motivator.

As I see the way we play defense, we need a massive runstuffing nose tackle and a great pass rushing end or linebacker. I'm not sure these are replacments since I don't think we had either of those this year, but they are our greatest needs.

And we always can use more really good cover DBs, whatever postion in which you place them - long,fast and agile.

If we had those along with what should be a good offense, we'd win a lot of games.

If he had played most of the year last year I would probably be saying big Miick. As it was his backups got most of the time. So it came down to the Safeties and the system knowledge leaving with our transplant, or the OLB Luke Gifford. I picked Luke because I thought he was the inspirational leader of the team. The best athletes still need a motivator.
I wrestled with this one too... this is the most important position per our defensive coordinator. But we played without him most of the year. We also went 4-8. The other thing I worried about is I think the Davis twins are better suited at DE, not NG, so I think they are playing a bit out of place there.

I wrestled with this one too... this is the most important position per our defensive coordinator. But we played without him most of the year. We also went 4-8. The other thing I worried about is I think the Davis twins are better suited at DE, not NG, so I think they are playing a bit out of place there.
agree with all of that. This is much tougher to me than the Offense question yesterday.

Bigger worry. None of the things really concern me offensively. We will get ours because we can scheme to it. On defense, you are what you are and you have to stop the offenses. Not to mention we literally lose someone at every position but CB.
That is exactly right. We have issues everywhere. Here is to hoping some of the young guys come in and hit the road running.

The Daniel's brothers will fill the NG spot with Davis probably contributing at some point. I'm torn between OLB and S, but will go with safety. No real experience on the back end of the defense is frightening (although I love D. Williams) and losing Neal is a big deal...not necessarily for his output, but for being the QB of the defense and getting our young guys aligned.

I went with Stoltenberg as nose tackle is the point of the spear and that is a critical position, even though Mick was personally out for extended periods of time. If the player here can hold his position, the rest of the defense can flow and fill in. Nose tackle is the foundation upon which to build a cohesive defense.

I went with Stoltenberg as nose tackle is the point of the spear and that is a critical position, even though Mick was personally out for extended periods of time. If the player here can hold his position, the rest of the defense can flow and fill in. Nose tackle is the foundation upon which to build a cohesive defense.

ESPECIALLY in a 3-4.

Once again, torn between the safeties and the nose with the other two at nearly the same level of importance. Much tougher choices here.

I finally went with the Mick because of what I perceive as a priority in Chinander's defense and that is to stop the run and once again because of his obvious emotional and almost spiritual leadership on this team. We bled rushing yards profusely after Mick's injury. Even though we get graduate transfer help there, the guy has never played the position so it appears that little brother has the jump on him there. Even though he showed flashes of excellence he needs to be a lot better conditioned and consistent.

Last edited:

I would have been concerned with the NG position except we picked up Daniels from OSU and he'll fill that roll nicely. We can put the Davis' at DE where they belong.

I am very concerned about safeties but without a stud LB directing and cleaning up I think we're in some trouble.

GET TICKETS

Back