• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Best QB Class in CF History? - Lee is included

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
After talking with 8 NFL draft experts, Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports is making an argument that the 2018 NFL draft could embody its best-ever QB class.

He lists Josh Allen of Wyoming, Sam Darnold of USC, and Josh Rosen of UCLA as the top 3 QB draft prospects...all 3 likely to become top 10 NFL draft picks.

Tanner Lee and Clayton Thorson of Northwestern vie for the #4 spot in the class. However, Lee may not elect to enter the 2018 NFL draft.

When the discussion led to who is #4, one draft expert started by mentioning Nebraska quarterback Tanner Lee, a transfer from Tulane who multiple sources indicated was among the most impressive quarterbacks among the college counselors at the Manning Passing Academy. Throwing in Thibodeaux, La., in shorts in June is a lot different than playing in pads in State College in November. But two others mentioned Lee, who at 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds impressed a lot of observers. “The most intriguing one out there is Tanner Lee,” Savage said.” I’d put him in there as the fourth one. I think he’s going to be the name that no one knows that much about that has a really rapid ascent once the season gets started.” That said, Lee’s career TD-INT ratio is 23-21, and he has two years of eligibility left."

https://sports.yahoo.com/best-college-qb-class-history-065830268.html

Last edited:
It'll be hard to beat the '83 class with Elway, Marino and Jim Kelly, though they only went 2-9 in the Super Bowl with Elway snagging those his last two seasons. Always good to hear positive things about Lee.

Last edited:
It'll be hard to beat the '83 class with Elway, Marino and Jim Kelly, though they only went 2-9 in the Super Bowl with Elway snagging those his last two seasons. Always good to hear positive things about Lee.

Yep, the 1983 class is the standard. It will be many years from now before we know if Thamel is correct.

Everyone is becoming aware of Lee's natural skill and potential. As long as Lee does not get a bad case of "Deer in the headlights" syndrome, he should be good to go.

Lee took a lot of hits at Tulane and kept on rolling. I am sure he is a tough guy that does not get rattled easily. Obviously, if our O-line performs well, it will help Lee a great deal.

Last edited:
I wonder how the conversations are in the Yahoo Sports department between Pete Thamel and Pat Forde. Apparently, the two handle research in different ways as Thamel has Lee as potentially the fourth best QB in the 2018 NFL Draft while Forde thinks that Lee is orange with an 01 painted on the sides. Wait...I apologize for implying that Forde does research.

Here's the link to the Forde write-up that @Ackos posted in another thread where Lee wasn't mentioned.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-footballs-25-intriguing-quarterbacks-2017-071043792.html

Last edited:

Yep, the 1983 class is the standard. It will be many years from now before we know if Thamel is correct.

Everyone is becoming aware of Lee's natural skill and potential. As long as Lee does not get a bad case of "Deer in the headlights" syndrome, he should be good to go.

Lee took a lot of hits at Tulane and kept on rolling. I am sure he is a tough guy that does not get rattled easily. Obviously, if our O-line performs well, it will help Lee a great deal.

He seems like a real cool customer, which is never a bad attribute for a QB.

He seems like a real cool customer, which is never a bad attribute for a QB.

Absolutely agree. He appears to be a very cool customer. He exudes confidence. His presence should elevate the entire offense.

We could be in for a whole lot of good times this season.

Last edited:
I wonder how the conversations are in the Yahoo Sports department between Pete Thamel and Pat Forde. Apparently, the two handle research in different ways as Thamel has Lee as potentially the fourth best QB in the 2018 NFL Draft while Forde thinks that Lee is orange with an 01 painted on the sides. Wait...I apologize for implying that Forde does research.

Here's the link to the Forde write-up that @Ackos posted in another thread where Lee wasn't mentioned.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-footballs-25-intriguing-quarterbacks-2017-071043792.html

Well, you have an option. You can side with Forde or you can side with Thamel. I agree with Thamel.

:Koolaid2:

Last edited:

Of course, that's 11 Super Bowls. I agree, 83 is the standard,and I don't think they beat it this year.

What fuels the concern in bold?

Of course, that's 11 Super Bowls. I agree, 83 is the standard,and I don't think they beat it this year.

What fuels the concern in bold?

That is a fair question. The answer is simple. I have never seen him play when real bullets are flying. He was great in the Spring game, but he played that game knowing he would not be touched.

Everything about Lee seems to be perfect. It seems to me the only fault he could possibly have is some undue anxiety when the games really count or jitters when he hears footsteps.

Sometimes people are great practice players, but for some reason, they do not perform well in actual contests.

I seriously doubt Lee has those problems or falls into that category, but can't know for sure until the games begin.

Last edited:
That is a fair question. The answer is simple. I have never seen him play when real bullets are flying. He was great in the Spring game, but he played that game knowing he would not be touched.

Everything about Lee seems to be perfect. It seems to me the only fault he could possibly have is stage fright or jitters when he hears footsteps.

I seriously doubt he has those problems, but can't know for sure until the games begin.

I don't think he displayed those problems when playing for Tulane, but his TD/Int issue needs to be resolved, maybe with better talent? Still, if he is the 4th Qb picked, we had one hell of an offensive season.

Easy to understand why this Northwestern team is touted as Pat Fitzgerald's most-talented.

Clayton Thorson as potentially the #4 QB in the NFL draft and Justin Jackson as the #3 RB.

That's some serious talent for the Wildcats in 2017.

Northwestern will not be an easy win for an opponent.

Last edited:

I don't think he displayed those problems when playing for Tulane, but his TD/Int issue needs to be resolved, maybe with better talent? Still, if he is the 4th Qb picked, we had one hell of an offensive season.

I did not see him play at Tulane. He is great in practice. He was great at the Manning Academy. He was great at the spring game. But that is just training for the real thing. How was he in HS and at Tulane when playing actual games? Does he perform better in practice than in games, or the same? I have no clue. But I have a clue that we will soon find out.

I have experienced it myself. I play great tennis in practice when there is no pressure...swinging freely at the ball with no worries. Then when I get in a tournament match, I tend to get tentative because I am afraid to make an error and give my opponent a cheap point. I reduce the pace on my shots and stop going for the lines.

Mental blocks like that can be hard to overcome. One should never be afraid to make mistakes when competing, but oftentimes that is easier said than done. Like I said, I seriously doubt that TL has that problem, but if he does, TL has top coaching on his side, so he has an advantage.

Last edited:
I did not see him play at Tulane. He is great in practice. He was great at the Manning Academy. He was great at the spring game. But that is just training for the real thing. How was he in HS and at Tulane when playing actual games? Does he perform better in practice than in games, or the same? I have no clue. But I have a clue that we will soon find out.

Can we just leave it at that...?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back