• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Besides Dantonio which coaches needed more than 3 years to become successful?

cactusboy

Husker Fan
10 Year Member
They mentioned this during the game today. They said a couple more names, but I didn't catch them...

I don't know, but Dantonio took over a program that hadn't had a winning season since 2003 and immediately took them to a bowl game.

i think they said dantonio was 22-17? if riley had gone 7-5 to get to 22-17 he MAY have had a chance. MAY.

I think Chatelain or one of the sportswriters did some legwork after MR’s first year. Showed that great coaches breakout in first or second year.

Odds of good to great coaches breaking out in year 3 or 4 goes down every year.

The problem is that Riley has taken us to historical lows... as in we haven't been this bad since the 40's or 50's. A coach who showed any progress or was even treading water would likely get a fourth or even fifth year to truly get it right.

I don't like going "three and out" with a coach, but Riley has given us no choice. You can't take a program like Nebraska and make it THIS BAD.

Many fans have their minds made up. But it's quite telling when virtually every college fb expert outside of Nebraska thinks he should be given more of a chance and not fired.

Nothing changes this...even if he gets fired it doesn't change it.

The announcers said it and showed the data... Who is more unhinged in their thoughts...the announcers or some Husker fans on a message board? :)
"unhinged"?
That seems like an excessive descriptor. Why are you attacking the character of the announcers and/or husker fans on this board?

It's a stupid argument, isn't it? Jeezy creezy.
i was as hopeful as anyone. but at this point anyone who says he dererves another year is just out of their mind...and i think most deserve 4 or 5 years. But the step back this year is just too indicative of systemic (i don't mean scheme) problems with BASIC things like tackling, blocking, catching that it would be criminally negligent to not clean house.

We can talk about schemes and PPO and 3-4 and all that crap but NU doesnt do the basic things winning teams do. Dropped an easy INT. Tackling like they are armless. Consistent QB pressure with 6 or 7 guys blocking. RBs dodging defensive linemen 4 yards deep as soon as they get the ball. And on and on. There is still a case where a guy here or there is a step too slow...a couple inches too short...just not as good as the man across from him. NU doesn't have big 10 title talent. But going back to game 1, season 3....none of that explains the crap we see on the field.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back