1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

Being PJ Fleck

Discussion in 'Football' started by Big Red Shrine, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Paramus

Paramus Junior Varsity 5 Year Member

I'll bet you feel good knowing that Bob Devaney was not one of those mid-major flops.

Neither was Ara Parseghian, nor is Chris Pederson, but I suppose you could care less.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  2. Paramus

Sounds like you think Minnesota = Oregon State. But if Fleck has a .500 record at Minnesota, I have a feeling Husker fans will judge his record more harshly than they have Mike Riley's .500 record at Oregon State.

Riley .500 at Oregon State = Success!

Fleck .500 at Minnesota = Fail!

[​IMG]

3. RedInMyVeins

RedInMyVeins Tannhauser Gate Veteran 2 Year Member

Is PJ Fleck related to Scott Frost or something?

4. 1standten

1standten Scout Team 2 Year Member

His kids may buy into his silly 'row the boat' mantra up until their little rowboat gets swamped by a passing speedboat in tOSU or Michigan. Then they'll start jumping ship.

5. Paramus

He is related to all of us. He is a human being. And if you listen with an open mind to what he has to say, you will understand that along with being a colorful used car salesman, he is also an exceptional educator pouring out his life in service to others in an attempt to give others a better quality of life.

His goal is to help his players grow academically, athletically, socially, and spiritually. That is the direction he will keep on rowing his boat, regardless of what the scoffers say. Personally I admire his goals. They are pro-people goals...he has an "All lives Matter" mantra.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  6. Big Red Shrine

Big Red Shrine Scout Team

Can you discuss the OP without taking veiled (& direct) shots at Riley in almost every post? It's near impossible to discuss anything on this board anymore.

7. Bman

Bman Recruit

8. bilsker

bilsker Husker Fan 10 Year Member

trolls troll.

9. TFrazier

TFrazier Red Shirt 5 Year Member

Say what you want about PJ Fleck but this is pretty cool. Hard to say something bad about him after watching this video. :thumbsup:

Californication likes this.
  10. Mack The Shark

Mack The Shark Starter 2 Year Member

A certain poster would probably get more reasoned discussion on Frost and Fleck if it didn't feel like this every time they were brought up.

[​IMG]

solesrfr likes this.
  11. LarstheRed

LarstheRed Scout Team 2 Year Member

It's rare it last very long. That's what I wanted to point out to the poster who said their son went to a camp. Players like energy, they like enthusiasm, but bringing pom poms to practice everyday will wear thin with many players. It's like playing for a screamer; at first you are shocked, scared, and moving like your life depended on it. After a while you just don't hear the volume. You don't differentiate. There were many who said TO wasn't enthusiastic enough. His assistant coaches were, and when he did get a little pumped up, it had a serious impact on the players. Everyday, all the time, is really hard to sustain, and those valleys coming off those peaks are usually really deep.

12. Big Red Shrine

Big Red Shrine Scout Team

That's an interesting point. This is why I like balancing a guy like Diaco with someone like Riley. I don't know enough about Fleck's assistants to know if either of his coordinators is a more mellow, down to earth guy, but I'd guess that would help with that a bit.

13. LarstheRed

LarstheRed Scout Team 2 Year Member

I think you need to blend a staff. Devaney had a very mellow Osborne as a counter. McBride could be animated for sure, which was a nice contrast to TO. I thought it was a great sign when Elliott was brought in, especially when he already had an association with Diaco. It goes to show that Diaco also recognizes the positives in having assorted personalities and skills.

14. NUinID

NUinID Red Shirt

Good post completely agree. In my personal experience coaching HS for 20 years, it is better to have a head coach that isn't too up or screaming all the time.

Let an assistant do the day to day ball busting, usually a d-line or o-line coach or both.

Then when it is needed for the head coach to yell it really means something.

LarstheRed and solesrfr like this.
  15. solesrfr

solesrfr Junior Varsity 2 Year Member

Fleck, Frost, Urban, and Harbaugh love by Paramus knows no bounds. If only it was the same for the head coach of the program he professes to be a fan of.

C

Mack The Shark and Cyberbach like this.