• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bball discussion - my overview.....

I saw this at the bottom of the Matt Davison article from KWBE.com.

After last season, Boehm said Tim Miles sat down with Tucker Zeleny, who runs analytics for Nebraska sports.

In that meeting, Zeleny said a good number of Nebraska’s issues were because of 3-point shooting, both defending the 3 and shooting the 3.

Boehm said Miles took that advice to heart and began retooling an offense with higher efficiency 3-point shooting. The Huskers are shooting 35 percent from behind the arc this season. They also rank first in the Big Ten in 3-point field goal defense, holding opponents to 31.5 percent .

Link

Watching last years team, pretty sure we didn't need an analytics professional to break that down.;)
I had a similar thought. At least we finally know that Tucker Zeleny is trying to earn his paycheck. For free, I will tell Miles that some of the players are still taking some of those 3 pt shots that they shouldn't during a game.

Watching last years team, pretty sure we didn't need an analytics professional to break that down.;)
You do have to give Miles credit for believing the numbers instead of spouting, "lies, damn lies, and statistics". I'm afraid of how much positive offensive impact Michael Lewis is having and that it might leave with him next year as he goes to become a head coach somewhere.

Check out his other posts... Many of them end with a little quip about Nebraska not winning another game or something to that effect. He's been doing it for a while...it can catch you off guard. Picture an emoji after it...like a winky face or sarcasm sign.
ahhhh......i see. sort of a Jedi Mind trick.

ya that conversation that Marc Boehm relayed about Miles retooling based on a suggestion from an analytics expert....that does not inspire confidence. Just doesn't seem to be a conversation based in reality. "oh thank you Mr. analytics expert. based on your captain obvious assessments, I will now retool my offense to produce higher efficiency shooting." as if the goal last year was to have an offense that doesn't prioritize high efficiency shooting?

thats just a weird statement and an overall weird thing IMO. I know Marc has been around for ever but that sort of stuff has a FADSE feel to it. as if sports is simply a matter of just getting more eyeballs on the problem to come up with a mathematical solution. Here's a solution...if you want your guys to shoot better, then don't have them stand 2ft apart.

I had a similar thought. At least we finally know that Tucker Zeleny is trying to earn his paycheck. For free, I will tell Miles that some of the players are still taking some of those 3 pt shots that they shouldn't during a game.

Well, as Will Rogers might have said: "If They don't go in, Don't Shoot 'Em!" ;)

thats just a weird statement and an overall weird thing IMO. I know Marc has been around for ever but that sort of stuff has a FADSE feel to it. as if sports is simply a matter of just getting more eyeballs on the problem to come up with a mathematical solution. Here's a solution...if you want your guys to shoot better, then don't have them stand 2ft apart.
Marc Boehm was hired away from Colorado by Voldemort six months into his Reign. :) He's so old he's almost Dollar Bill old... not that there is anything wrong with that.

Last edited:

How about the decision to take Palmer out with about 4 Min left in the game when he was on the HOT part of his hot streak. No foul trouble either. That really had me going What the Heck....

After the game Miles did admit to what a boneheaded move that was with resting Palmer then. You do see it all the time it seems though, a guy makes 3 or 4 shots in a row and is "feeling" it and a coach pulls them for a blow. I don't get it either. I know the player in that situation doesn't want out and can find all the energy they need when they're hot like that.

All-Devaney_ph34r.png
I am not so sure! Palmer may have been tired (probably exhausted after guarding Huerter so long) and asking to come out. He appeared to look at bench and raised his hand, and he came out shortly after that (about 5:16). Maybe Kenya wanted to rest his legs before going back in to ice the game. Kenya and Miles were in intense discussion while Palmer was out.

Palmer was back at the scorer's bench shortly thereafter, but there was no stoppage in play for several minutes.

i'm feeling good about NU bball. and if i'm feeling good about it, you are too, cause no body has been debbie downer about 'Braskaball more then me the past few years. not something i'm proud of.

so while the going is good, here is some food for thought for those currently new to this fun little Nebraskawagon we're all riding. Nu is playing great. Guys have confidence, shots are falling, and life is good. Defensive energy is awesome, the team is playing unselfishly, at any point NU has 3 different guys who could boss you around for 20+ pts a game. NU is hot and thats the good news...

Miles is still not an x/o guy. He is a big picture coach. Get the ball to X, and get the frick out of his way. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with that, per se, when taken in doses. Say what you will, but if James Palmer doesn't do what he does last night, NU loses. There is a risk to having a philosophy built around this type of scheme. its highly "player" dependent. Now, granted if Miles can keep getting guys like Roby and Palmer, and he very well may be able to, then problem solved. BUT, i was sorely reminded of my angst with Miles last night when watching that last set NU ran.

TO was called. Miles draws up a play. We are up by 1 pt with i think 43 seconds to go? I'm ready to see "THE PLAY". What we got was Watson dribbling around, confused, and shooting up a bad 3pt brick as the shot clock expired. LUCKILY, it bounced right to Roby, he made 2 clutch freethrows and the problem was solved. BUT jeepers creepers, if the Turtles get that rebound, play for the last shot and score...ugghhh....that would have been a tough loss. Miles needs to get to the point where he can run something that gives his team the best chance when that time comes.

Heck, we can even argue about what the thought process was behind that "play". it depends on your perspective, but some would say, why in the world are you killing clock right there, just to put up a bad garbage 3? you've got 40+ seconds and the ball. You aren't good at running sets (gosh i wish NU was) so do what you're good at. Inbounds the ball, get it to Palmer, get everyone else out of the way, and go to the hole asap. get something driving at the basket, but do it quick and get a 2 for 1. If NU puts up a good shot within 7 seconds or so, then they would still have another 13+ seconds at the end of the game to hit a game winner or seal the deal, if need be.

Either way, what NU ended up doing at the end of the game there was puzzling to me. and thats what STILL makes me nervous about Miles. He's got the team winning and all the credit for that but some of the strategy decisions just leave me scratching my head......

still happy we won, of course. GBR!!!!!!!!!

Nicely done, but............ "if James Palmer doesn't do what he does last night, NU loses". OK, but that is something you can say about a lot of wins, no matter what team is playing. It goes with the territory of being an mvp for the game. You need heroes to be a successful, winning team. Just saying. :)

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back