• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Barfy's Article On Miles Begs Two Questions (football related)

That took me back for a beat also, then I reread it. Punctuation does matter.

Lee isn't the only OWH columnist who utilizes this writing style. I find portions of Sam's articles difficult to read sometimes; commas are one thing, but hyphenated sentences with parentheses make understanding his point more difficult than necessary.

I get it though - in the grand scheme of things - a writer has to make a point (should an opportunity for a point be clearly evident, that is) so the reader is afforded a chance to explore a larger narrative, in so much that one would, say, want to participate in such an endeavor.

Not football related but saying Big 12 player of the year Venson Hamilton and Tyronn Lue were not great players blows his credibility out of the water.
Especially since Lue was used to guard Allen Iverson and did about as good fo a job as anyone ever did guarding him.

Not a huge fan of Barf-Neck, but honestly I can't find any fault in the following part of his piece regarding NU football:

...To use Eichorst’s phrase, in the “games that matter” in 2016, NU lost all three — by six points in overtime to Wisconsin, by 59 to Ohio State and by 30 to Iowa.

Another big concern: trailing at home in the second half to Illinois, Purdue and Minnesota. And now the defense and offense both will undergo major structural change?...

While there's a ton of 'feel-good' stories within the program involving the staff, recruiting, and overall vibe, in two years under Riley there hasn't been much visible improvement in play on the field whatsoever over Bo.

This upcoming season needs to show positive signs of a better product.

Last edited:

Not a huge fan of Barf-Neck, but honestly I can't find any fault in the following part of his piece regarding NU football:

While there's a ton of 'feel-good' stories within the program involving the staff, recruiting, and overall vibe, in two years under Riley there hasn't been much visible improvement in play on the field whatsoever over Bo.

Yeah the proof is in the pudding!! You have to show it on the field. The only thing MR has proven is he would be a top notch recruiting coordinator

Last edited:

Not only has there not been visible improvement, there's been a visible decline in play. MR's 57% does not equal Bo's 70%. The recruiting appears to be somewhat, albeit not significantly better.

The next 2 years tell the tale of the tape though. If MR averages 7/8 wins (the best case scenario in my view) and continues to get thumped in games that matter there is no way to say things are looking up and it will be time to end the 2nd experiment with a pro-style coach.

I think Barfy does a good job of telling it like it is. He saw the TO teams of the 90's, he knows what a championship team looks like. He's not afraid to call it as he sees it. No rose-colored glasses on him.

I think everyone's disdain with Barfy comes from him telling us the Emperor has no clothes.

Not only has there not been visible improvement, there's been a visible decline in play. MR's 57% does not equal Bo's 70%. The recruiting appears to be somewhat, albeit not significantly better.

The next 2 years tell the tale of the tape though. If MR averages 7/8 wins (the best case scenario in my view) and continues to get thumped in games that matter there is no way to say things are looking up and it will be time to end the 2nd experiment with a pro-style coach.
Serious question Are you freaking blind? We have two of the top QBs out of the state of California the last two years. A WR class that rivals any including OSU in the big 10. One of the best LBs in the country. Most of Bo's best guys did not stick around long enough for us to find out whether they were any good or not. Bo's best recruit was probably Randy Gregory and he can't put the pipe down long enough to be great. (scratch that Lavonte David by far)

Serious question Are you freaking blind? We have two of the top QBs out of the state of California the last two years. A WR class that rivals any including OSU in the big 10. One of the best LBs in the country. Most of Bo's best guys did not stick around long enough for us to find out whether they were any good or not. Bo's best recruit was probably Randy Gregory and he can't put the pipe down long enough to be great. (scratch that Lavonte David by far)

I will respond with facts. No I am not blind. Recruiting rankings are slightly higher under MR. Which MR recruit has made an impact? None really. So, at this point its all speculation.

2016 26
2015 28
2014 32
2013 17
2012 26

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back