• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Banker out

Interesting. Care to expand on that? Seems like they held their own. Banderas led the team in tackles, Rose Ivey at third. They certainly made mistakes, but, everyone does. I wouldn't call their play extraordinary, but, it certainly wasn't terrible.
Remember the comment by one of the announcers, early in the bowl game, about our backers having "stone shoes?" That, to me, has be obvious since Riley was named head coach.

Bray's LBs start looking a whole lot better when he starts Avery Roberts or Tyrin Ferguson over Dedrick Young next season. From what I saw, Dedrick is not a starter

If we do move to the 3-4 (I doubt it, the minority of colleges use 3-4), we have Tyrin Ferguson.... Guinness book of world record arm length.... he could be a prototype 3-4 end LB

Last edited:
Bray's LBs start looking a whole lot better when he starts Avery Roberts or Tyrin Ferguson over Dedrick Young next season. From what I saw, Dedrick is not a starter

If we do move to the 3-4 (I doubt it, the minority of colleges use 3-4), we have Tyrin Ferguson.... Guinness book of world record arm length.... he could be a prototype 3-4 end LB
What did you see in Dedrick? He was supposed to an answer to the LB crew?

The only thing I really want to know is which boosters pushed for this firing?

kZgmqy.gif

Remember the comment by one of the announcers, early in the bowl game, about our backers having "stone shoes?" That, to me, has be obvious since Riley was named head coach.
I really believe that our defense completely changed at the OSU game. I was there, I bought me and my Dad a ticket, and it was easily the worst decision of my life and my paycheck. Even the OSU fans were bummed, what a crappy game.

After that game our D completely checked out. I knew it when I saw Aaron Williams slacking on plays in the second half. That was sad.

I am really happy we are going to have a new set of, qualified and possibly overpaid, eyes taking a look at the talent on defense this fall.

Last edited:
By the way, and I have not read through this entire thread, where is Monty Kiffin these days?:Lol:

Monte Kiffin is an American football coach, currently serving as the assistant head coach of defense for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League. He is widely considered to be one of the preeminent defensive coordinators in modern football, as well as one of the greatest defensive coordinators in NFL history.

I know, he is 78 years old.

Last edited:
What did you see in Dedrick? He was supposed to an answer to the LB crew?
I mean he started last year, I expected a bigger improvement this year. Maybe I am asking too much.

Coming from starting as a true freshman, IMPO, now an underperforming sophomore, he should now have to compete for a spot based on how he played last year and the new DC change. He is clearly an inside LB. He is a flat footed runner, unlike Mo Barry, who has a little more gitty up. Im not counting him out, I just want more

Last edited:

I mean he started last year, I expected a bigger improvement this year. Maybe I am asking too much.

Coming from starting as a true freshman, IMPO, now an underperforming sophomore, he should now have to compete for a spot based on how he played last year and the new DC change. He is clearly an inside LB. He is a flat footed runner, unlike Mo Barry, who has a little more gitty up. Im not counting him out, I just want more
Agree! Everyone should have to "compete" for a starting position each year. And, just like Banker, if there is not significant improvement or there is regression, someone else can take your place.

By the way, and I have not read through this entire thread, where is Monty Kiffin these days?:Lol:

Monte Kiffin is an American football coach, currently serving as the assistant head coach of defense for the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League. He is widely considered to be one of the preeminent defensive coordinators in modern football, as well as one of the greatest defensive coordinators in NFL history.
Oh yeah, and where did he start? (No need to answer)

I think you meant he is the preeminent coordinator of defense in modern football

Last edited:
I think having Devaney on staff is a huge advantage for a lot of reasons, but one more is how his connections throughout the NFL might help us find our next DC. And I believe he has a experience scouting for the NFL which would mean he might also be well connected with college coaches trying to get their kids into the league.
Why this fascination with NFL people. Most NFLers have failed as head coaches. The games are different. I get Riley is all pro-style but the games have evolved in different directions. Monte Kiffin was killing it in the NFL and got killed in the NCAA.

I think Nebraska needs to shell out serious cash to bring in a proven commodity. I think they will. Would love to see them pony up and hire a $1m per sort of guy. Might not get them, but I think it's worth a phone call and a big(ger) offer for guys like Brent Venables, Bud Foster, Dave Aranda, Jeremy Pruitt, Bob Shoop, John Chavis, Todd Grantham, Clancy Pendergast, Greg Schiano, Don Brown, Pete Kwiatkowski, Manny Diaz, Justin Wilcox, Charles Kelly, Kevin Steele, Randy Shannon ...

Bob Diaco might be a nice candidate too. Has extensive recruiting ties to the Big Ten region after stints at Notre Dame (where he coordinated some very good defenses), Central Michigan, Western Michigan and Eastern Michigan, Cincinnati and Western Illinois. Was even a GA at Iowa. He is a fine recruiter and earned a rep for being a bright, young, up and coming defensive mind with the Irish.

As for replacing Ryan Gunderson, that's easy. Let Billy Devaney do it. Tell him to go through his Rolodex and find someone he has worked with in the past, perhaps a scout from his NFL days. Devaney should have a list as long as his arm of guys who can step in and take over there. Gunderson did a GREAT job, not trying to say he is easily replaceable, but Devaney should fill that spot relatively easy.
Please, please, please stop with the go get an NFL guy mantra. Bill Callahan was an NFL guy. Tim Brewster was an NFL guy. Monte Kiffin was an NFL guy. Go get a cutting edge up and coming college guy. They are different games.

For a guy that had been in the business for many years and was well-respected by his peers, it shouldn't have been hard to assemble a staff. Banker, Cavanaugh, Read, and Bray came with him from OSU, and Langsdorf was just one season removed from the Beavers. Reggie Davis played for Riley and was on his OSU staff previously. That left just Stewart, Williams, and Hughes (who was Banker's pal) that might have taken some time to find.

The time frame wasn't unique for a newly hired coach.
Bingo. Riley put himself in a hole. It's on him he brought a bunch of B players with him and lost 2 years. I gotta ask, what about Cavanaugh and Reggie Davis? Frankly, DL isn't lighting the world on fire but ok let's see what he does with a statuesque pro style QB next year.

Here's the link to the NCAA Total Defense web page that could be helpful, too.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

When looking at these results, I wonder which team has the guy Riley is looking for if the guy does come from college ranks. Is he a current coordinator or a stud position coach who has proven himself on a team that has a great defense?

Perhaps, Billy D has helped line someone up in the NFL ranks. Maybe, a former defensive college coach who spent a few years in the NFL, but wants back in college coaching.

Wherever he comes from, this hire will help define the 2017 season and beyond. Hire the wrong guy and the defense takes a huge step back and the retirement may come early. Get the right guy who helps the Blackshirts be dominating and that retirement is put on hold.
Your comment About Billy D makes sense to me. Just have to wait it out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back