• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Banker out

Sorry, but the high number of firings in just two seasons is a pretty good indication that people who had concerns about the staff have been at least partially correct.

Truth. And that's coming from a guy who generally liked the staff assembled originally.

Last edited:

I don't think that was the case with too many here. I think the vast majority of posters were concerned about the number of OSU coaches following MR . . . most especially Banker.
If you say so. That's not how I remember it. Then again, I was banned for a month back then for being critical of the staff when they were hired, so maybe I missed some others getting on board with me. ;) :Biggrin:

262 posts, nearing the zombie hour, and no one knows the answer? Damn! How disappointing. When does Coach Riley have his news conference to announce the firing and subsequently the hiring of a new DC?

I guarantee you that he had a list and it was very, very short. No Huskermax poster had a key to his desk drawer? Wikileaks and the Russians can't provide some info? Something is not correct, here!
Even if he has his man, you still have to post a job opening at DONU, then you have the Lawyers doing the contract, then you have the background check. So it might take a week before it is official. Now for recruiting reasons we might get a well informed leak before then.

I believe that Riley has the new guy locked up with the $upport of the AD. Banker wasn't great but I'm not sure Riley dumps him without his replacement lined up. Stewart leaving seems to be in line with his MO...he doesn't seem to hang around anywhere for more than two years. He'll also take about 80,000 pay cut at Rice.

Interesting. Care to expand on that? Seems like they held their own. Banderas led the team in tackles, Rose Ivey at third. They certainly made mistakes, but, everyone does. I wouldn't call their play extraordinary, but, it certainly wasn't terrible.

Is this really the first time you've heard the opinion our LBs were having trouble all year? Though I will qualify my remarks here. When the ex-players talk about the backers, I generally hear two opinions. First is they miss responsibilities too often. Second is, they are put in a position to fail given their physical limitations. One opinion where I doubt you'll see much debate is in relation to their physical abilities compared to some of our competition. Stated simply, our rotating 4 couldn't rely on their speed/quickness/strength to consistently make plays at the line or behind it.

Is this really the first time you've heard the opinion our LBs were having trouble all year? Though I will qualify my remarks here. When the ex-players talk about the backers, I generally hear two opinions. First is they miss responsibilities too often. Second is, they are put in a position to fail given their physical limitations. One opinion where I doubt you'll see much debate is in relation to their physical abilities compared to some of our competition. Stated simply, our rotating 4 couldn't rely on their speed/quickness/strength to consistently make plays at the line or behind it.
Given the outstanding job Bray did in 2015, I'm willing to give him a pass on 2016. I think a lot of the problems for the linebackers stemmed from our line being lackluster. That should get better next season.

Even if he has his man, you still have to post a job opening at DONU, then you have the Lawyers doing the contract, then you have the background check. So it might take a week before it is official. Now for recruiting reasons we might get a well informed leak before then.
All of that does have to happen to make it all nice and legal and accidentally getting the name out could happen as well.

But just to be clear, anytime that I can make it to the bathroom in time to relieve myself, it is a well informed leak.

Given the outstanding job Bray did in 2015, I'm willing to give him a pass on 2016. I think a lot of the problems for the linebackers stemmed from our line being lackluster. That should get better next season.

+1; for the same reason I think DL gets a mulligan this year (if anyone thinks he needs one.)

Last edited:
Sorry, but the high number of firings in just two seasons is a pretty good indication that people who had concerns about the staff have been at least partially correct.

Cool. Being partially correct must feel pretty good. If SE and his joke hire Riley (your words) are shown the door in a year or two, you get to be entirely correct. How will you spend those valuable I told you so points?

It was the first time that I heard someone call their play terrible. That is all. Thank you for expanding on your initial comment.

How will you spend those valuable I told you so points?

e9deaca6c6498ce9fad270cbfbf42c699f84f9477167d15745e8fe71c82f02ee.gif

Sorry thill. It was too funny to pass up.

A few thoughts:

I respect Riley for making the tough decision with Banker. Riley seems to have figured out what a few of his recent predecessors could not... in order to succeed, you need to surround yourself with top-notch assistants. Before today, I fully expected Banker to be back for at least one more season.

So far, Riley's record with replacement hires had been outstanding. Parella was a big upgrade over Hughes, and D. Williams almost certainly will be a huge upgrade over Read. If this trend continues with the replacement hires for Stewart and Banker, then we may really have something here.

Of all the staff changes announced today, I think Gunderson is the biggest loss. That guy was awesome in his role here. Best of luck to him with the new coaching gig.

The message should be clear to Langsdorf, Cavanaugh, and Davis that the offense needs to get better... and soon. (K. Williams is probably safe for the foreseeable future.)

While all of that is true, I suspect, other than the job posting, all of the "t" have been crossed and the "i" dotted. Riley is a very smart guy with connections. IMO, it is significant that he waited until after the Championship game to make the announcement. Is he going after one of the Clemson or Bama staff? We played our bowl game about two weeks ago. He could have announced a DC change shortly after the loss to Tennessee. He will have to have his guy on board for recruiting purposes, immediately. The dead period is over today.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back