• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Back to the Core & the Contrarian Principle

You really do have to start somewhere. It's not about one particular play, or a special formation, or anything like that. It's about being able to teach your system one step at a time. No matter what offense you run, you have to be an effective teacher. That doesn't mean you're the smartest guy in all of football. I know plenty of people that are brilliant minds in various fields, but they aren't automatically good teachers.

Well said. This staff's primary problem isn't that the system is too pass-happy or that Riley is not animated enough on the sidelines. The problem is that whatever is happening Monday through Friday is not taking. And when the coaches don't prepare the players and the results are predictably poor, confidence in everyone and everything erodes week-by-week.

On the defensive side of the ball, Diaco seems to be getting a pass because he's young an energetic, but I haven't seen evidence of good teaching. Blake Lawrence broke down a few defensive plays vs. Ohio St.on Big Red Wrap Up, and it was eye opening. The LBs and DBs had no idea what their assignments were. They were totally lost. Barrett and the WRs were playing a game of backyard pitch and catch.

Your religious-like aversion to any type of option oriented attack is as baseless as some folks' aversion to a pro-style offense. But at least we've actually seen successwith one of those types...
what nu ran in the 90s was nothing like what navy and GT run today. give me a between the tackles, power-based run game with some option sprinkled in and i'm cool.

navy qbs ran the ball 36 times yesterday. thats a ridiculous offense to try to run and win any real hardware. fortunately Bill Moos probably understands that.

what nu ran in the 90s was nothing like what navy and GT run today. give me a between the tackles, power-based run game with some option sprinkled in and i'm cool.

navy qbs ran the ball 36 times yesterday. thats a ridiculous offense to try to run and win any real hardware. fortunately Bill Moos probably understands that.

That's part of what got Frank fired. He had Crouch first then Lord and made the offense nearly one dimensional as a quarterback run game.

Fans have very poor recollections of the Osborne era. Somewhere along the line, a myth has been created that our QBs were scrappy underachievers that nobody recruited. In reality, Gill was offered by Texas and OU. Frazier had offers from Clemson and Notre Dame. Frost famously (or infamously) went to Stanford to play for Bill Walsh. Crouch had an Ohio St. offer.

Obviously, they were all developed well in Tom's system, but they were elite to begin with as well. Frazier more than any single player turned NU's fortunes around, and he was the best dual threat in the nation out of high school. He's the equivalent of landing DeShaun Watson or Lamar Jackson today, players who were not choosing between Clemson/Louisville or Navy on signing day.

Going to the flexbone or the triple option would pretty much permanently relegate NU to spoiler status.

Last edited:
Flexbone. I watched Georgia Tech run up and down the field against Miami who has superior talent. Only weakness was GT's defense, which is why I'm saying we absolutely have to have a great defense. Can't afford to get behind by a lot running this offense. And no I'm not promoting UNL hiring Paul Johnson. But watch Navy vs. UCF today and the guy coaching across from Scott Frost is the guy I'm saying would be a good fit.
No, no and no!

I think some folks have been misinformed about Husker history and are thinking a return to the misconception is where we should head. You can't return to what never was. We never had a pipeline of Samoans, we had 2 decent ones in 50 years. We never ran a very unique offense, TO copied the I formations we used and then later adapted Oklahoma's option principles to his new option attack. Lots of teams were run stuff similar to both back when this was done. Other teams realized the speed of the defenses could negate our lol, "unique" option attack, before we did. That's because TO had us stocked with so much talent at I-back and QB that we were nearly unstoppable no matter the speed of the defense, teams with less talent than us, couldn't keep running option. We found ourselves in their boat when FS couldn't recruit QB's or RB's. So all this talk of being contrarian is just silly...you need talent on both sides of the ball to compete at highest levels. You need coaches that recruit mean, tough and yet disciplined players who prioritize football every day. You get that back here and it won't matter what offense or defense we run or where we get our players.

If there was a big advantage to running a contrarian offense...the best coaches (Saaban. Meyer, Sweeney) would do it, they don't. Instead, there is an advantage to running an attack that can hurt teams on the ground or in the air and having the best players you can get.

Solid post.

I will add 3 things.

1. Our defenses attacked. Have not seen that but one or 2 seasons in the last ten plus seasons.
2. We practiced good on good and tackled to the ground in practice.
3. Oz was always a genius in having his offense master a set list of plays then build on his foundations as the seasons progressed. We’d then see a wrinkle when defenses sat on a play

Last edited:

folks might be getting hung up on the term contrarian... playing NU used to be a unique experience for opponents.. matching up physically, intensity, as well as scheme. Depth was also a huge factor, allowing everyone's motor to be full throttle, all the time.

& when not in a fertile recruiting area, player development, walkon depth, and optimizing home grown talent are imperative to success.... this has waned for quite some time & needs to be corrected if DONU is to return to it's glorious past.

As much as i love me some Turmanator, he didn't beat anyone. He survived for a half with the most vanilla game plan ever, and then Berringer played the second half. The legend outpaces reality on that one. We won in spite of him playing a half, not because of it.

I don't disagree. Heck, Turman probably doesn't disagree based on the interview I saw him give in the BTN documentary on Berringer.

But the point remains, we could beat - or at least outlast - other teams with our backup players. In 2017, I just hope Riley's starters can outlast teams like Northern Illinois. :oops:

folks might be getting hung up on the term contrarian... playing NU used to be a unique experience for opponents.. matching up physically, intensity, as well as scheme. Depth was also a huge factor, allowing everyone's motor to be full throttle, all the time.

& when not in a fertile recruiting area, player development, walkon depth, and optimizing home grown talent are imperative to success.... this has waned for quite some time & needs to be corrected if DONU is to return to it's glorious past.
Please...we have a glorious past, but we were only dominant when we had the very best players. Outside our NC years, TO dominated all the teams with lesser talent and was dominated by those with greater talent. The big 8 teams saw us every year and were very familiar with our "unique" offense...we dominated most of them because we had better talent. But in the bowl games our "uniqueness" didn't help us much with teams who rarely ever saw us, but had better talent than we did.

I agree we had better intensity and physicality and toughness too...back then. But "walkon depth" is not going to be returning to Nebraska. If it does, there will be lots of poor football walk-on players in that depth. Why? Because you aren't ever getting back the players that are opting to go to lesser colleges now to save the tuition money. Even in TO's heyday we rarely offered more the 5 in-state schollies a year. We did get those good players that now make their way to SD State, Wyoming, Ohio, etc. but we are not getting them back so we need to find ways to compensate for that.

Last edited:
DONU dominated when it had hall of fame coaches... AND talent.

9 of 11 offensive starters in 1997, hailed from Nebraska.... Ahman Green came to NU as one of 8 recruits in his class from Nebraska

Local talent has always been the heart of the program & used to be celebrated, ... I stated walkons provide depth, not suggesting that is THE answer, but it is definitely an important contributing factor. There are plenty of local kids who warrant offers, or, if actively pursued, will walk on for a shot at their dream & to perhaps earn a scholly down the road when spots open up (& they always open up). Stop with the excuses & de-valuing the local contribution, it's embarrassing.

I'm tired of the best talent all over the field argument... '97 MNC starting wideouts Jeff Lake & Lance Brown weren't blue chips, but quite effective in the offensive style NU implemented at that time - which speaks to the OP & makes tons of sense, focus recruiting the most important positions & fill in other spots with solid athletes.

I agree with your points about the offense and defensive changes. Bob D was a highly sought after coordinator and we got him because he probably had a good sales pitch about his shut down defense. Well, Oregon, Arkansas State, Wisconsin, and Ohio State demolished that sales pitch. We have a ton of linebackers. Our defense has been banged up yes....but we don't pay you 800k a year to get blown out like we have been.

Here's a quick look at the number of Nebraskans in High School receiving football recruiting schollies by year. It is pretty clear to see that when the scholarship reductions began being phased in around 1984, THAT is when Nebraskans took a big hit, with more to follow in the mid-90's. NCAA scholarships reductions were phased in from the 1980's from 105 to the 85 level we have now, and since 1995. I couldn't find a link, but IIRC the big jumps were from 105 to 95 in about 1984 and then from 95 to 88 in 1993 or so, then to 85 schollies in 1995. It looks like Nebraska kids absorbed all of the hits. Although things inexplicably got far worse while Bo Pelini was the head coach (except for Barney's kids)...he left MR with very few scholarship Nebraskans on the roster and horrible communications with Nebraska HS coaches.

1980 - 11
1981 - 9
1982 - 11
1983 - 9
1984 - 6
1985 - 7
1986 - 8
1987 - 8
1988 - 4
1989 - 3
1990 - 7
1991 - 5
1992 - 9
1993 - 7
1994 - 3
1995 - 7
1996 - 5
1997 - 6
1998 - 9
1999 - 7
2000 - 6
2001 - 5
2002 - 7
2003 - 5
2004 - 5
2005 - 4
2006 - 4
2007 - 3
2008 - 6
2009 - 2
2010 - 4
2011 - 4
2012 - 1
2013 - 1
2014 - 3
2015 - 2

2016 - 3
2017 - 4

If Nebraskan's are supposed to be the glue that binds the team together and gets the out of staters to work harder and with pride...well, for 7 long years there weren't many brought in to perform those tasks. Maybe this helps account for the softness we've seen for years.

Last edited:

:nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back