• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

AVCA Rankings--September 10, 2018

carrolltonsker

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Not a lot of surprises this week. NU benefited from several upsets and their come-from-behind victory over now #10 Creighton. It's kind of interesting that we lost 3 1st place votes from last week, but climbed three spots in the rankings.

Through Games SEP. 10, 2018
RANK SCHOOL POINTS RECORD PREVIOUS

1 BYU (54) 1590 8-0 3
2 Stanford (10) 1543 6-1 4
3 Texas 1410 5-1 6
4 Nebraska 1369 6-1 7
5 Penn St. 1345 6-1 5
6 Wisconsin 1247 5-1 2
7 Minnesota 1229 5-2 1
8 Illinois 1169 8-0 11
9 Pittsburgh 1058 9-0 13
10 Creighton 867 6-3 14
11 Florida 826 5-3 8
12 Oregon 817 5-3 18
13 Washington 762 5-2 12
14 Cal Poly 697 7-1 22
15 Purdue 667 8-0 19
T-16 Southern California 641 6-3 10
T-16 UCLA 641 4-2 9
18 Baylor 592 6-3 15
19 Michigan 539 9-0 20
20 Kentucky 455 4-4 16
21 Marquette 427 7-2 25
22 Washington St. 332 7-0 23
23 San Diego 207 2-4 16
24 Utah 93 7-2 21
25 Alabama 53 9-0 NR

Others receiving votes and listed on two or more ballots: Iowa State 24; Northern Iowa 23; Georgia 22; Louisville 22; Michigan State 20; Colorado State 18; Colorado 17; Wyoming 14; Tennessee 12; Cincinnati 10; Kansas State 10; Loyola Marymount 8; Wichita State 6; Arizona 5; Oregon State 5; Portland 4

Four teams mentioned on only one ballot for a total of 10 combined points.

Dropped Out: Colorado 24

Next Poll: September 17

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1/avca-coaches

Last edited:
Nebraska being no. 4 is where most people expected them to be after an upset filled weekend. Note that 2 of the teams ahead of them, Stanford and Texas, play a home and home this week, so the Huskers have an opportunity to move up. Penn State is closer to the Huskers than I thought they would be, but like Nebraska, they play three mediocre teams this week and are unlikely to pass Big Red, barring an upset.

B1G and the Pac-12 have 7 teams in the top 25. The difference being the B1G has 5 teams in the top 10 while the PAC-12 has one. I thought that both Purdue and Michigan would move up above the 15 line, but Michigan only moved up one spot to 19. Just as a point of information, since the Wolverines are the first conference opponent, they (Michigan) have yet to lose a set this year. They haven't faced the stiffest competition, but they have played Auburn and LSU and just recently beat Colorado State, who was ranked two weeks ago. Michigan DOES play Notre Dame twice this week in a home and home series, so those results should tell us more about how good Blue really is.

The PAC-12 might actually be deeper than the B1G as they have 10 teams either ranked or receiving votes. After MIchigan State and Ohio State, there appears to be a sizable drop off of team strength in the B1G.

A few teams had "bizarro" weeks. Baylor beat then no. 2 Wisconsin, then turned around and lost to UTRGV??? (University of Texas @ Rio Grand Valley) the next night. Florida somehow lost to Northern Arizona. The Lumberjacks then lost to a 4-5 CSUN (Cal State - Northridge) squad.

In more B1G news, congratulations to Mikaela Foecke for being selected as volleyball co-player of the week in the conference.

B1G article:

https://bigten.org/news/2018/9/10/w...penn-state-earn-weekly-volleyball-awards.aspx

In Big10 play, NU plays 3 of the 4 AVCA top ten teams twice (and Michigan twice too). Conference play is going to be intense. Wish Wisconsin had to come to Lincoln.

Nebraska being no. 4 is where most people expected them to be after an upset filled weekend. Note that 2 of the teams ahead of them, Stanford and Texas, play a home and home this week, so the Huskers have an opportunity to move up. Penn State is closer to the Huskers than I thought they would be, but like Nebraska, they play three mediocre teams this week and are unlikely to pass Big Red, barring an upset.

B1G and the Pac-12 have 7 teams in the top 25. The difference being the B1G has 5 teams in the top 10 while the PAC-12 has one. I thought that both Purdue and Michigan would move up above the 15 line, but Michigan only moved up one spot to 19. Just as a point of information, since the Wolverines are the first conference opponent, they (Michigan) have yet to lose a set this year. They haven't faced the stiffest competition, but they have played Auburn and LSU and just recently beat Colorado State, who was ranked two weeks ago. Michigan DOES play Notre Dame twice this week in a home and home series, so those results should tell us more about how good Blue really is.

The PAC-12 might actually be deeper than the B1G as they have 10 teams either ranked or receiving votes. After MIchigan State and Ohio State, there appears to be a sizable drop off of team strength in the B1G.

A few teams had "bizarro" weeks. Baylor beat then no. 2 Wisconsin, then turned around and lost to UTRGV??? (University of Texas @ Rio Grand Valley) the next night. Florida somehow lost to Northern Arizona. The Lumberjacks then lost to a 4-5 CSUN (Cal State - Northridge) squad.

In more B1G news, congratulations to Mikaela Foecke for being selected as volleyball co-player of the week in the conference.

B1G article:

https://bigten.org/news/2018/9/10/w...penn-state-earn-weekly-volleyball-awards.aspx
Udertow you are providing some fantastic information throughout the volleyball forum. You are now on my 'must-read' list. Thanks

Udertow you are providing some fantastic information throughout the volleyball forum. You are now on my 'must-read' list. Thanks
I completely agree with you. I look forward to his take whenever I see it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back