• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Attrition

izzycohen

Hayseed
15 Year Member
Nearly every head coaching change results in a certain amount of attrition from the roster. I think HCSF has mentioned that he expects some.
The question is, how many and at what positions? I personally expect fewer than five players to depart. I would not be surprised if we lost a another QB, beyond the Tanner Lee departure. I also don't know how the incumbent running backs will fit in the new system. I'm thinking primarily about Ozigbo and Wilbon. The fact that they're seniors may limit their options. I'm sure there are issues at other positions that I'm not aware of. Hopefully some of you can enlighten us.

I would think this could provide a very timely opportunity to visit individually with your upperclassmen that aren't contributing about their chances of seeing the field going forward. I'm not proposing to cut a bunch of kids loose, but if they have completed their degree and still haven't contributed on the field it's probably time to give the scollie to someone who can.

Nearly every head coaching change results in a certain amount of attrition from the roster. I think HCSF has mentioned that he expects some.
The question is, how many and at what positions? I personally expect fewer than five players to depart. I would not be surprised if we lost a another QB, beyond the Tanner Lee departure. I also don't know how the incumbent running backs will fit in the new system. I'm thinking primarily about Ozigbo and Wilbon. The fact that they're seniors may limit their options. I'm sure there are issues at other positions that I'm not aware of. Hopefully some of you can enlighten us.

I'll take the overs.

Wouldn't shock me if both Gebbia and O'Brien transferred. Hope that's not the case.

I won't be surprised at all if it's more than five. I think we almost certainly lose a QB and probably a RB or two. Whoever is odd man out between Gebbia and POB I can't see staying and if Martinez wins the starting job . . . maybe both? I kind of think Gebbia is going to make a pretty strong run at being the starter--he's got more spread mojo than I think a lot of people believe.

Beyond just those 2 positions, I think there will be more than a few additional guys who either don't want to push it quite hard enough or won't be good fits for what the staff will want to do--or won't want to sit behind someone who fits better.

But . . . needs to happen, frankly. This team needs a shakeup in a lot of areas and they are about to get a big helping of it over the next several months.

I won't be surprised at all if it's more than five. I think we almost certainly lose a QB and probably a RB or two. Whoever is odd man out between Gebbia and POB I can't see staying and if Martinez wins the starting job . . . maybe both? I kind of think Gebbia is going to make a pretty strong run at being the starter--he's got more spread mojo than I think a lot of people believe.

Beyond just those 2 positions, I think there will be more than a few additional guys who either don't want to push it quite hard enough or won't be good fits for what the staff will want to do--or won't want to sit behind someone who fits better.

But . . . needs to happen, frankly. This team needs a shakeup in a lot of areas and they are about to get a big helping of it over the next several months.

It's going to be a very interesting Spring.

We've already lost Lee, Gates and Darlington...maybe Gebbia or POB will leave. The only one I'm worried about is Lindsey.

Last edited:

Through all these coaching changes and ups and downs, attrition generally ends up about the same every year. I always estimated 3-5 scholarships a year would leave somewhere between end of season and end of spring. Some years more...some less. There was a lot of screeching after the last change, but a guy went NFL early, another grad transferred...ended up about the same, all in all.

I expect nothing too far out of the norm this spring. We lost 2 to early NFL, figure 1-3 more at least. I could see a few more this year, but nothing crazy.

Through all these coaching changes and ups and downs, attrition generally ends up about the same every year. I always estimated 3-5 scholarships a year would leave somewhere between end of season and end of spring. Some years more...some less. There was a lot of screeching after the last change, but a guy went NFL early, another grad transferred...ended up about the same, all in all.

I expect nothing too far out of the norm this spring. We lost 2 to early NFL, figure 1-3 more at least. I could see a few
more this year, but nothing crazy.

I agree. I would be disappointed if anyone on the staff "encouraged" any moving on, though (and I don't think that will happen).

I agree. I would be disappointed if anyone on the staff "encouraged" any moving on, though (and I don't think that will happen).
There is a big difference between encouraging kids to move on, and being honest with them about where they stand. In post spring one on ones with the coaches if a kid does not fit the scheme. What is wrong with telling them that you will help them find a soft place to land if they chose to leave. Some would say that is encouraging a kid to leave. I would call that being honest with a kid about his future. Both in the Marine Corps and in private business. I have had a conversation with young people that this may not be a fit.

How in any way, is not having that conversation helping the kid or the team? The kid will be miserable and the coaches will have an unneeded burden if the kid stays. It is one thing if a kid is a little ways down the depth chart but has most of the skills. Completely different if his skills are just not a match at all for what the team is doing.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back