• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Anyone seen "I Tonya"? - the NY Times Interview

KleinTxHusker

All Big 10
15 Year Member
An interesting interview in the NY Times. Almost makes me interested in seeing the movie...

Well maybe renting it at RedBox...
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/movies/tonya-harding-i-tonya-nancy-kerrigan-scandal.html

When she got the call from Mr. Rogers, she’d been doing fine. She could take care of herself. She had other skills. She’d worked as a welder, a painter at a metal fabrication company, a hardware sales clerk at Sears, where every day some guy would ask if there was a man who could help him, and every day she’d school that guy on how much more she knows about tools than just about anyone. She faced Paula Jones in a celebrity boxing bout in 2002, and started an unremarkable boxing career in earnest in 2003. But she wasn’t a great fighter, and she didn’t like it very much, either. She never bought the idea that hitting something could help you work out aggression. They told her, “Pretend it’s someone else’s face.” But it wasn’t, so what’s the point?

She married and had her boy, who changed her life by refocusing her attention on someone who wasn’t her. She and her husband would spend hours hunting together, just as she used to do with her beloved father — Mr. Price with a muzzleloader and Ms. Harding with a bow and arrow because she wanted “to give the animal a 50-50 chance to make it interesting and fair” (and also because felons aren’t technically supposed to possess guns in Washington State). Do you know how good of an archer she is? She says she has successfully done no fewer than eight Robin Hoods — shooting an arrow that splits another arrow, which itself was already in a bull’s-eye, 30 yards away — and that’s nothing compared to her fishing skills. (But she doesn’t want to elaborate. “Some people,” she said. “If you eat a carrot you’re killing it.”) Also, she can build anything. She can fix anything. She had a life. It was going fine. She had made some kind of peace with the idea that she’d never really be understood.

A review of the movie...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/movies/i-tonya-review-margot-robbie.html

Last edited:
WHY? WHY? WHY? We were actually laughing about this about 2 weeks ago, LOL.... So, they made into a movie finally, LMAO!!!!

My wife and I just watched the movie this weekend.

What a brilliant movie, I really wish I had seen it at the theater. But still compelling. Very compelling.

My wife and I disagree somewhat on Harding. My wife thinks she got shafted. I have a hard time getting past the evidence that she provided Nancy Kerrigan's practice location.

My wife thought it was much like Hillbilly Elegy. It was hard to watch, especially the extensive domestic violence, but was a compelling movie.

What bothers me, and I don't know if I am all wrong on this, IMO, it sounds like in the right circumstances and with the right character, Harding might have been the greatest skater ever. But when the stakes were highest, she found ways to self destruct. Disappointing is all I can think. I understand her resentment and at times can even share it (although I was from the right side of the tracks; it never felt like it). But rather than driving her, it seemed that she fell to petty levels and destroyed her chances. In the near final scene, she seems to decide to complain about her laces, perhaps thinking she would fail, so she had to manufacture an excuse. IMO, a champion would show up and nail it, or at least try. She wound up eighth, when she should have been number one.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back