1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Garrett!

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Big Red Rocks, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Big Red Rocks

Big Red Rocks Recruit 5 Year Member

2. TnHusker87

TnHusker87 Recruit

Seems like it must have been a Top 10 boy’s name in Nebraska back in 2001 - 02. ;)

silvercityHUSKER likes this.
  3. Discoverer27

Discoverer27 Red Shirt 2 Year Member

Laughed when I saw this because of his last name. Both sets of my grandparents and thus my mom and dad were from Sutton. Spent a lot of summers there back in the 70s. Was funny because everyone in the area has the last name of Ochsner, Griess, or Nuss. Seriously.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  4. inthedeed

inthedeed Red Shirt 5 Year Member

looks to have the right size to become a rocker

5. TnHusker87

TnHusker87 Recruit

Yep, about 3/4 of my paternal family tree came through Sutton, many of them Germans from Russia.

Rainbow Dash and Rednu like this.
  6. Boji Husker

Boji Husker Red Shirt

All Garretts must have mullets.

FCHusker likes this.
  7. gardenjam

gardenjam Red Shirt 2 Year Member

8. satcong2

satcong2 Recruit

Welcome to an exciting for NU football. Wish you the very best as a Cornhusker. GBR

Big Red Rocks likes this.
  9. Discoverer27

Yep. One set of my great great grandparents were germans from russia. Lore is that that is who brought over the runza. Runza Huts founder's mom was from Sutton I believe.

Farmer Jake likes this.
  10. huskerman1

huskerman1 Red Shirt 5 Year Member

Germans from RUSSIA?

11. TnHusker87

TnHusker87 Recruit

Yes, large numbers of Germans immigrated from the German states to the lower Volga & Black Sea area (Ukraine & Crimea) beginning in the 1700s at the behest of Czarina Catherine the Great resulting in autonomous colonies with freedoms of religion, exercise native languages, land and no compulsory service in the Russian armies. By the 1870s, the Czar changed the rules and a mass exodus to America began.

Sutton, Nebraska was a gathering point for many thousands who then fanned out across the plains. A North Dakota historian once claimed that more than half the states population came from this immigration source.

12. Discoverer27

Google or look for it on wikipedia. To much to reply. Put it this way- f'n russians.

Farmer Jake likes this.
  13. Discoverer27

Agree. I think the tipping point was that Catherine said they wouldn't have to serve in the russian military and then russia began conscripting them.

Rainbow Dash likes this.
  14. TnHusker87

TnHusker87 Recruit

Yep, that was a significant consideration -- of course, those that came to America donated their sons & grandsons to service in the World Wars.

Discoverer27 likes this.
  15. carrolltonsker

carrolltonsker Husker Immortal 10 Year Member

Let me add one more tidbit. The Germans from Russia are my ancestry on both my mother's and father's side. My maternal grandparents both immigrated from Russia in the early 1900s, and my mother, under Russian law, was considered a Russian citizen, even though she never was close to stepping foot in Russia, since she was a first generation offspring of immigrants from Russia.

Rainbow Dash and TnHusker87 like this.