• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

An ex Husker star with insight on next MB HC?

I'm going to finish watching the season.
Me too. I always watch unless something comes up that's more important (family,health etc.).
I'm going to root for the players.
Me too. I never root against the team.
I'm going to root for Miles and his staff.
Me too. I never root against the coach or staff.
I'm going to do my job as a fan.
Me too. I always try to do my job as a fan.

I wanted him gone 2 years ago because I didn't think he was a good coach, but I have never rooted against him.

Last year he looked like he might turn it around, and I hoped he would. He didn't.

This year was his make or break year. It's broke.

I will still root for him and the team for the little time he has left, but I bet he's gone after this season.

Why don't we?

Anyone? Or do you have someone specific in mind (Lue?) There are a lot of coaches worse than Miles.

The NBA champion thing is a bit of a red herring. First year as a head coach and you have one of the best players in NBA history and a team that was assembled around him.
So you’re saying NU would have pursued Lue and he would have listened, had he not had NU ties? That was, after all, the question. I’d wager not, regardless of why he’s an NBA champion coach.

I was in school when Moe coached. Loved every minute of it. College basketball was still a college sport back then.
I was friends with several of the players in the early and mid 80s. We played in leagues, tournaments, and just pickup games all the time, and I know what they were capable of. Moe took some greyhounds and turned them into plow horses. Add to that the fact he was kind of a jerk, and it’s not a surprise I really didn’t like him at all.

I was friends with several of the players in the early and mid 80s. We played in leagues, tournaments, and just pickup games all the time, and I know what they were capable of. Moe took some greyhounds and turned them into plow horses. Add to that the fact he was kind of a jerk, and it’s not a surprise I really didn’t like him at all.
I went to Moe's basketball camp in the early 80's. I wasn't a D1 player but if I was, I would have had a hard time playing for him. Dude was a dud.

I went to Moe's basketball camp in the early 80's. I wasn't a D1 player but if I was, I would have had a hard time playing for him. Dude was a dud.
I was in school in the 70s. Couldn’t watch Cip/Moe teams. My memory of Cip/Moe on Junior Miller: Miller said he chose Nebraska because of academics and TO promised he could play basketball. Miller joined the b-ball team after the bowl game. Cip (or Moe, I forget) was quoted in the paper as saying he might be the most talented player on the team, but it was not clear he would fit into the NU system. Miller left the team later that year.

So you’re saying NU would have pursued Lue and he would have listened, had he not had NU ties? That was, after all, the question. I’d wager not, regardless of why he’s an NBA champion coach.
No, I'm saying the opposite. The main reason Husker fans are interested is because he's an ex-player.

1. Why can't Nebraska win at basketball?

What is your definition of win? Is there a percentage you are looking for?

For starters, how about matching, then surpassing their intrastate rivals.

Your point was regarding overall winning record, so it’s obviously not pointless, unless it messes up your narrative.

Follow the thread. You asked my definition of "win," which should have been my first clue you were just in for an argument. My definition was to be better than Creighton, for starters. Do you deny Creighton has a better basketball program than NU right now?

Follow the thread. You asked my definition of "win," which should have been my first clue you were just in for an argument. My definition was to be better than Creighton, for starters. Do you deny Creighton has a better basketball program than NU right now?

No, I asked for a definition, which you pointed to Creighton, including their conference accomplishments. If you’d just said a winning percentage similar to Creighton, I wouldn’t have said a thing. If you posted UNK or UNO stats I probably would have asked about the conference as well. If you said Iowa or Wiscy, then I’d know exactly what your expectations were.

Are they better right now? This season? This point in the season? Based on our head to head? I see little difference in the programs this season. Both have underachieved. Both have what seems, fragile mental stability.

Last edited:

No, I asked for a definition, which you pointed to Creighton, including their conference accomplishments. If you’d just said a winning percentage similar to Creighton, I wouldn’t have said a thing. If you posted UNK or UNO stats I probably would have asked about the conference as well. If you said Iowa or Wiscy, then I’d know exactly what your expectations were.

Are they better right now? This season? This point in the season? Based on our head to head? I see little difference in the programs this season. Both have underachieved. Both have what seems, fragile mental stability.

I haven't seen Creighton enough to judge them fairly. In the past, I haven't seen signs of mental stability (or fragility) with McDermott as head coach -- but maybe you have this season(?). But -- I do know they are fairly young. No seniors in their top six scorers and I think four of those are freshman or sophomores. I do think it was Creighton's poorest season in quite a few -- but as they are young, I'll have to see what they do next season before I judge harshly. Nebraska, on the other hand, doesn't have age or inexperience as an excuse.

I haven't seen Creighton enough to judge them fairly. In the past, I haven't seen signs of mental stability (or fragility) with McDermott as head coach -- but maybe you have this season(?). But -- I do know they are fairly young. No seniors in their top six scorers and I think four of those are freshman or sophomores. I do think it was Creighton's poorest season in quite a few -- but as they are young, I'll have to see what they do next season before I judge harshly. Nebraska, on the other hand, doesn't have age or inexperience as an excuse.

The fragility is not being able to close out a game. They should have at least 5 more wins if the don’t fall apart late. And this is certainly a weak year for them.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back