• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

An ex Husker star with insight on next MB HC?

1. Why can't Nebraska win at basketball?
2. If you can't be assured the next coach is better than Miles, or can fix #1, pass.
3. If Lue weren't a Husker, would he even get a second look?
1. We can
2. He will be better than Miles.
3. No, NU would assume an NBA champion coach with no ties would be unattainable.

S l o o o o w M o o o o e :Puke:

And yes, he had a better winning percentage then Nee, but what garbage basketball. What worked for his dad didn't work for him.
I hated it, and I couldn’t stand seeing him ruin so many good high school players. And while it didn’t work for him as well as his dad, 60% winning percentage is pretty solid.

I hated it, and I couldn’t stand seeing him ruin so many good high school players. And while it didn’t work for him as well as his dad, 60% winning percentage is pretty solid.

That's the truth. Nee's win/loss record was only about 15 wins short of being right there.

1. We can

Why don't we?

2. He will be better than Miles.

Anyone? Or do you have someone specific in mind (Lue?) There are a lot of coaches worse than Miles.

3. No, NU would assume an NBA champion coach with no ties would be unattainable.

The NBA champion thing is a bit of a red herring. First year as a head coach and you have one of the best players in NBA history and a team that was assembled around him.

Last edited:
Why don't we?
What is your definition of win? Is there a percentage you are looking for?

Anyone? Or do you have someone specific in mind (Lue?) There are a lot of coaches worse than Miles.
Of the coaches people have mentioned, do you see those as worse than Miles?

The NBA champion thing is a bit of a red herring. First year as a head coach and you have one of the best players in NBA history and a team that was assembled around him.
Considering some are suggesting kids are swayed by shoes, I’d say a world championship ring and some stories about the league might carry some weight as well. But who knows with kids.

Last edited:
S l o o o o w M o o o o e :Puke:

And yes, he had a better winning percentage then Nee, but what garbage basketball. What worked for his dad didn't work for him.
Agreed. Moe's teams were hard to watch. Hated every minute of it. My high school team played a very similar style and it was was a horrific way to play basketball.

Nee had the benefit of the Omaha Metro area put out some pretty good ballplayers. We haven't had a great coach here. Personally I liked Moe Iba and hated when he left here

What is your definition of win? Is there a percentage you are looking for?

Wikipedia
Through 2017, the program has an all-time record of 1,474–1,337 (.524) with seven NCAA appearances and 16 NIT appearances. NU's only national tournament championship came in the 1996 NIT.

Wikipedia
The Bluejays have a claim on 20 regular season crowns and 12 conference tournament titles. They have appeared in 17 NCAA Basketball Tournaments, reaching the Sweet Sixteen 3 times.

Total: 1,521–993 (.605)

For starters, how about matching, then surpassing their intrastate rivals.

Haven't read the whole thread but my take...

Lue would be a "risk" but so is anyone else who NU could hire. They aren't going out and getting a Petino probably. Some of the other names are longshots but if you get a Hoiberg...great.

But if those targets fail...Lue is no more a risk than a mid major or top assistant. He has name recognition...can hire an ace recruiter or two..etc. I'm not normally "hire the nebraska guy!" guy but in this instance it may be worth the shot. What is there to lose?

IMO, we are seeing a lot of responses on here from people about Lue, in the same manner as football. there is always those fans that bemoan every time an ex-husker is considered for a position because they cant stand the thought that we dont go out and get the best rather than hire someone JUST becuase hes an exhusker. The truth is we only look at them if they are a exhusker and are one of the best. not just because they are an ex husker.

so let me ask this............
Would fans on here that are so no to Lue, say no to Lue if he was an ex kansas player or played elwhere? I bet not. I bet the fans against Lue as a hire would be for him if he wasnt an ex husker. no way to prove it but I would bet tons on it.
Some fans just hate hiring ex husker cuz in their mind its only because hes an ex.
Lue is an ex Kansas jayhawk or iowa hawkeye who won an NBA title and 90% of the guys against Lue would be for him

Last edited:
IMO, we are seeing a lot of responses on here from people about Lue, in the same manner as football. there is always those fans that bemoan every time an ex-husker is considered for a position because they cant stand the thought that we dont go out and get the best rather than hire someone JUST becuase hes an exhusker. The truth is we only look at them if they are a exhusker and are one of the best. not just because they are an ex husker.

so let me ask this............
Would fans on here that are so no to Lue, say no to Lue if he was an ex kansas player or played elwhere? I bet not. I bet the fans against Lue as a hire would be for him if he wasnt an ex husker. no way to prove it but I would bet tons on it.
Some fans just hate hiring ex husker cuz in their mind its only because hes an ex.
Lue is an ex Kansas jayhawk or iowa hawkeye who won an NBA title and 90% of the guys against Lue would be for him
For what it's worth, I floated Danny Manning's name, and all the response was negative. :) And I think that's important to remember, mostly people respond to things they disagree with because if they agree...

Also wanted to mention that Moe Iba's brand of basketball went away with the shot clock. Kind of like when Osborne left and the scholarship limits started - everything changed.

I'm going to finish watching the season. I'm going to root for the players. I'm going to root for Miles and his staff. I'm going to do my job as a fan.
I am not certain why now is the time for this thread. Are you all just looking for hope?

I would suggest we all try avoid getting ahead of ourselves and try to enjoy the three Jr.s and Roby and the young guys out there busting their butts. We potentially still have a lot to enjoy.

That and I can't think of anyone who would come here who isn't just as big of a crap shoot as keeping Miles.

I'm going to finish watching the season. I'm going to root for the players. I'm going to root for Miles and his staff. I'm going to do my job as a fan.
I am not certain why now is the time for this thread. Are you all just looking for hope?

I would suggest we all try avoid getting ahead of ourselves and try to enjoy the three Jr.s and Roby and the young guys out there busting their butts. We potentially still have a lot to enjoy.

That and I can't think of anyone who would come here who isn't just as big of a crap shoot as keeping Miles.
Yes, looking for hope. And venting. Because that's what the board is for. I would hope that the players are smart enough to not listen to the radio or look at discussion boards or the news. It's not just this thread with this discussion.

Some people have said that there is something more than just Miles can't coach going on, people I don't know if I should believe and people I think I should believe. Either way, if after seven years and millions of dollars we have almost the same results as before, either we need to spend less for same old results or more for new shiny results or possibly exactly the same to get rid of all the fans next year.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back