• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ameer Abdullah

Rozier Heisman trophy, Averaged 7 yards per carry Jr and Senior seasons. Was an all American Jr and Senior seasons.

Abdullah never averaged more than 6 per carry. AA Was never an all american and was all conference just 1 year.

Rozier had 200 more career yards in one less season. This is not even a defensible position on your part. Rozier had at least one pro bowl season Ameer is still waiting to be the starter in Detroit.
Agreed but Rozier had great OL's while Abdullah's were very very very average... And that's being generous.

To be honest, it's really hard and complicated to say that one running back from 40 years ago is/was better than a running back from 5 years ago. To many differing factors to consider, that can never be truly equal, to actually make that comparison. We had some great O lines, we had some mediocre O lines, we had great competition, we had crappy competition.

But, there is no denying that guys like Rozier, Lawrence, Ahman and Abdullah were all really good runners. I have a distinct feeling that Rozier, LP, Ahman and Abdullah would have been good on any Huskers team in the past 50 year. I'd probably go with LP, Rozier, Ahman, Abdullah, if all circumstances were equal.

Not defensible? LOL, are you one of these 'OL has been fine' guys? Hate to break it to you but the OLs can't even be compared so your stats are meaningless. I still say all things being equal, AA is better than the rest.

All things being equal AA is near the top if not the number one slot. How many DL's and LB's can he juke in one play?

C

To be honest, it's really hard and complicated to say that one running back from 40 years ago is/was better than a running back from 5 years ago. To many differing factors to consider, that can never be truly equal, to actually make that comparison. We had some great O lines, we had some mediocre O lines, we had great competition, we had crappy competition.

But, there is no denying that guys like Rozier, Lawrence, Ahman and Abdullah were all really good runners. I have a distinct feeling that Rozier, LP, Ahman and Abdullah would have been good on any Huskers team in the past 50 year. I'd probably go with LP, Rozier, Ahman, Abdullah, if all circumstances were equal.
pretty fair post.

All things being equal AA is near the top if not the number one slot. How many DL's and LB's can he juke in one play?

C

You know what I see in this video. an awful lot of highlights against FCS, Fresno, Northwestern etc. What I do not see is a single highlight against OSU, Wisky, and MSU. Why Ameer was an awful lot like his head coach. Really good against 2nd and 3rd tier competition.
WI 2014 18-69
MSU 2014 24-45
USC 2014 27-88

Rozier
Miami even though he got injured in the third qtr 25-147
Oki 32-205
The team may have lost but MR always a winner. Only game he was not over 100 his senior year was the kickoff classic which was a blowout so he only had 16 carries.

To be great you have to show up when it matters.

You know what I see in this video. an awful lot of highlights against FCS, Fresno, Northwestern etc. What I do not see is a single highlight against OSU, Wisky, and MSU. Why Ameer was an awful lot like his head coach. Really good against 2nd and 3rd tier competition.
WI 2014 18-69
MSU 2014 24-45
USC 2014 27-88

Rozier
Miami even though he got injured in the third qtr 25-147
Oki 32-205
The team may have lost but MR always a winner. Only game he was not over 100 his senior year was the kickoff classic which was a blowout so he only had 16 carries.

To be great you have to show up when it matters.

So it only counts against the good teams in 2014? 2012 and 2013 don't matter? You forgot Miami. I stand by my opinion, all things equal AA is better than Rozier. You are right, had AA's OL showed up when it mattered his stats on those days would have been better.

Cherry picking stats is cute.

2012 he went 22-110 against MSU, 24-101 against MU, 16-119 against UCLA.
2013 he went 22-123 against MSU, 27-105 against MU, 25-147 against PSU, and 27-122 against Georgia.

Are you going to try and say that in those years the teams were 2nd and 3rd tier? Might be hard considering MSU went 13-1 with a 8-0 conference record.

Here this has an MSU highlight in it.

C

Yet you have Derek Brown, who couldn't beat him out of the I-back position, on your list. You know, the same guy that trailed Leodis Flowers. And in Brown's junior season Calvin Jones had half the carries, but over 2 yards more per carry. You are consistently inconsistent.
LOL...Derek Brown, half of the famous "We Backs" had 2 seasons over 1000 yards. He left early for the NFL draft and was the 109th player chosen by the NFL. You think I have him over-rated in a 7 way tie for 15th? I do have Calvin at #10 if you hadn't noticed. Both had 5 times the career of your hero Scott Baldwin. Did he even top 750 yards in his career?

I think most people would agree Rozier, Green and LP are probably the top 3. The order can be interchangeable based on the person ranking them. I'd go:
1- Rozier
2- Green
3- LP

After that there's a lot of arguments that can be made for several players. Because of that I'm going to do keep my list to a top 5. Here's the remainder of my list:
4- Abdullah
5- Roger Craig.

For me the toughest call for me was between Craig and Ameer. The statistics between them are vastly different, but several factors between the two of them are drastically different as well. The teams surrounding them, what they were asked to do, the amount of games played and so on etc...

Last edited:

So it only counts against the good teams in 2014? 2012 and 2013 don't matter? You forgot Miami. I stand by my opinion, all things equal AA is better than Rozier. You are right, had AA's OL showed up when it mattered his stats on those days would have been better.

Cherry picking stats is cute.

2012 he went 22-110 against MSU, 24-101 against MU, 16-119 against UCLA.
2013 he went 22-123 against MSU, 27-105 against MU, 25-147 against PSU, and 27-122 against Georgia.

Are you going to try and say that in those years the teams were 2nd and 3rd tier? Might be hard considering MSU went 13-1 with a 8-0 conference record.

Here this has an MSU highlight in it.

C

Actually not cherry picking at all. I looked at both players senior seasons. That should be most players best years.

Actually not cherry picking at all. I looked at both players senior seasons. That should be most players best years.

To many variables to use just one year though, especially considering he had 2 good games out of 3. One of them coming the season MSU won the B1G championship.

C

I think most people would agree Rozier, Green and LP are probably the top 3. The order can be interchangeable based on the person ranking them. I'd go:
1- Rozier
2- Green
3- LP

After that there's a lot of arguments that can be made for several players. Because of that I'm going to do keep my list to a top 5. Here's the remainder of my list:
4- Abdullah
5- Roger Craig.

For me the toughest call for me was between Craig and Ameer. The statistics between them are vastly different, but several factors between the two of them are drastically different as well. The teams surrounding them, what they were asked to do, the amount of games played and so on etc...

You know the Huskers have had some amazing backs when I look at this post and think, damn I can't believe I forgot about Roger Craig!

LOL...Derek Brown, half of the famous "We Backs" had 2 seasons over 1000 yards. He left early for the NFL draft and was the 109th player chosen by the NFL. You think I have him over-rated in a 7 way tie for 15th? I do have Calvin at #10 if you hadn't noticed. Both had 5 times the career of your hero Scott Baldwin. Did he even top 750 yards in his career?

You realize that you've mocked several great legacy players for no reason. You place Derek Brown in higher regards than Correll Buckhalter, Dehrin Deidrick, Clinton Childs, Leodis Flowers, etc. Derek Brown had 4 TD's in 1992, exactly the same as Damon Benning in 1995 and less than Clinton Childs in 1994. Funny thing, though, Childs had the best yards per carry off the runningbacks with any significant playing time on that 1995 team. Oh, and that guy Benning that you like to knock so much had as many TD's in 1996 as Ahman Green. And both Childs and Benning tied for second place in 1994 for scoring from the I-back position. Pssst, Baldwin in his limited playing time in 1990 still found the endzone five times, the same number as Derek Brown. So mock these guys that 'statistically don't show up' on the charts, but physically and performance-wise these same guys in their prime could hang with anyone in the great Husker I-back tradition.

Hands down it's difficult to argue with Rozier as the best. Without a doubt Ahman and Phillips be filling out the other spots at #2 and #3 with the order arguably indifferent as far as what they meant to their teams. I dare say that Nebraska couldn't have won some of the games without LP, but we were so stacked at I-back when Ahman was the the man, that we probably would have continued to win without him. Where the wheels left the track was in the early 2000's when we went to shorter, undersized runningbacks. I don't care how the OL blocks, when your guys cannot break arm tackles you won't be pushing 7-8 yards a carry. Today we get excited at 4 yards a carry. :Cheer2:

You realize that you've mocked several great legacy players for no reason. You place Derek Brown in higher regards than Correll Buckhalter, Dehrin Deidrick, Clinton Childs, Leodis Flowers, etc. Derek Brown had 4 TD's in 1992, exactly the same as Damon Benning in 1995 and less than Clinton Childs in 1994. Funny thing, though, Childs had the best yards per carry off the runningbacks with any significant playing time on that 1995 team. Oh, and that guy Benning that you like to knock so much had as many TD's in 1996 as Ahman Green. And both Childs and Benning tied for second place in 1994 for scoring from the I-back position. Pssst, Baldwin in his limited playing time in 1990 still found the endzone five times, the same number as Derek Brown. So mock these guys that 'statistically don't show up' on the charts, but physically and performance-wise these same guys in their prime could hang with anyone in the great Husker I-back tradition.

Hands down it's difficult to argue with Rozier as the best. Without a doubt Ahman and Phillips be filling out the other spots at #2 and #3 with the order arguably indifferent as far as what they meant to their teams. I dare say that Nebraska couldn't have won some of the games without LP, but we were so stacked at I-back when Ahman was the the man, that we probably would have continued to win without him. Where the wheels left the track was in the early 2000's when we went to shorter, undersized runningbacks. I don't care how the OL blocks, when your guys cannot break arm tackles you won't be pushing 7-8 yards a carry. Today we get excited at 4 yards a carry. :Cheer2:
Based on most of the RB's that you believe were "great" for us, I believe you lack knowledge of Husker history and perspective. In addition, you just keep spinning tales after you've been destroyed in discussion. You can't be reasoned with because you already believe your distorted views and seem only here to flaunt them in others' faces. We have a few others like you around here, so enjoy their company. BTW, you can't redeem yourself in a thread where you've posted repeated nonsense just by posting a few decent comments at then end of the thread. Try harder next time. The guys you just listed in the first sentence of your post were good players, but do not belong on any list of great NU backs.

Last edited:

Based on most of the RB's that you believe were "great" for us, I believe you lack knowledge of Husker history and perspective. In addition, you just keep spinning tales after you've been destroyed in discussion. You can't be reasoned with because you already believe your distorted views and seem only here to flaunt them in others' faces. We have a few others like you around here, so enjoy their company. BTW, you can't redeem yourself in a thread where you've posted repeated nonsense just by posting a few decent comments at then end of the thread. Try harder next time. The guys you just listed in the first sentence of your post were good players, but do not belong on any list of great NU backs.
:thumbsup:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back