• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Amazing Tornado Passes Right in Front of This Guy!

That was crazy. Tornadoes are an amazing part of this world we call Earth. When I still lived in Oklahoma, we had a tornado travel four miles down the middle of a Tulsa street, but the funky thing was, the first mile, it went down the right side of the street, and crossed over to the left side at the red light, then went another mile and crossed back over at the next red light, and repeated that twice more. On the opposite sides of the street, no damage at all, on the side it landed, it wiped out everything in it's path. Crazy.

That was crazy. Tornadoes are an amazing part of this world we call Earth. When I still lived in Oklahoma, we had a tornado travel four miles down the middle of a Tulsa street, but the funky thing was, the first mile, it went down the right side of the street, and crossed over to the left side at the red light, then went another mile and crossed back over at the next red light, and repeated that twice more. On the opposite sides of the street, no damage at all, on the side it landed, it wiped out everything in it's path. Crazy.

I still remember when I was 3 yrs old, and we had to go down in our basement for shelter when a tornado was approaching our town.

This was a traumatizing experience for me because it was a very old house whose basement was really just a musty cellar with cobwebs and other critters everywhere. Not only was the basement creepy, but at 3 yrs old I didn't understand all the words my parents used. When they said a tornado was coming to hurt us and we had to seek shelter, I thought they said 'potato'. So for months and maybe even years afterwards I had this recurring nightmare of my family cowering in fear in a dirty corner of the basement, when suddenly the door at the top of the stairs opens up and this ominous-looking potato suspended in the air starts floating down the stairs, the lights start flashing, and we all start screaming for our lives...
True story.

Last edited:
I still remember when I was 3 yrs old, and we had to go down in our basement for shelter when a tornado was approaching our town.

This was a traumatizing experience for me because it was a very old house whose basement was really just a musty cellar with cobwebs and other critters everywhere. Not only was the basement creepy, but at 3 yrs old I didn't understand all the words my parents used. When they said a tornado was coming to hurt us and we had to seek shelter, I thought they said 'potato'. So for months and maybe even years afterwards I had this nightmare of my family cowering in fear in a dirty corner of the basement, when the door at the top of the stairs opens up and this ominous-looking potato suspended in the air starts floating down the stairs, the lights start flashing, and we all start screaming for our lives...
True story.
Awesome! I don't mean to laugh, well, okay I do, but that is an awesome story.

Believe it or not, I had never seen a live tornado. Even no finger on the sky. I was born and raising in Sioux Falls, 15 years in southeast Nebraska, and settled down in Okieland ....... all tornado alley.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, I had never seen a live tornado. Even no finger on the sky. I was borned and raising in Sioux Falls, 15 years in southeast Nebraska, and settled down in Okieland ....... all tornado alley.
My uncle had one.
'66 I think

l1-630x306.jpg

Last edited:

Little deer in the headlights action going on. But he apparently came up upon it suddenly? If that's possible? Because at first he didn't know which way it was going?

I'd like to think I'd whip around and skeedadle. But I might have sat there too and just said, "uh....."

They generally travel a particular direction so they can be escaped -- generally.

I remember climbing on the fence at the old Sherman Field in Lincoln during a Lincoln A's game to watch three funnels bouncing along the ground north of Lincoln. Kind of cool. I also had one hit about two blocks from my apartment where I and my new bride from back east had just moved in on Cotner Blvd. It wiped out a barn and a couple other odd bits of buildings, but other than that -- didn't touch anything.

But we saw wall clouds by the dozens every summer.

What GREAT footage!. This is something my Meteorology Instructor at NU would have used as a teaching tool had he had it! Pretty neat for me, as a Metorologist I would have done the same thing just to get the footage and to experience the event! That's part of the reason I became a Meteorologist is to learn how an amazing weather event like this could form. Reminds me of what got me interested in weather, when I went through a Hurricane while on board an aircraft carrier in the South China Sea...... but that's another story.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back