• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Am I, are we, complacent or realistic?

Are we complacent or realistic?

• Complacent

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Realistic

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
The financial commitment has been made...so on that end I think the athletic dept. has done it's job there. Maybe someone with more in depth knowledge is aware of some areas where bball isn't getting sufficient support?

At that point it becomes a question of WHEN do you fire. If barfneck's info is legit then it's apparent that SE is aware that Miles probably needs to go. But you gotta question why he didn't just rip-off the bandaid. Surely he knows he's not likely to have a guy locked up before firing..right?

Once the decision to fire is made...then you're hoping to get a little lucky. The "mid major" guy is a legit route. NU has just been unlucky there. The "top assistant" route is legit as well but maybe slightly risky in that you are taking a little bit of a leap of faith.

"Paying up" won't get it done. NU can't pay any reasonable amount of money to hire a sure thing. It just doesn't work that way no matter how often people suggest it.
Only have this to offer. We have hired a couple of mid-major guys who did quite well at that mid-major, but since Nebraska is in a major conference they should do better there? Maybe, just maybe it's not the coaching.

Only have this to offer. We have hired a couple of mid-major guys who did quite well at that mid-major, but since Nebraska is in a major conference they should do better there? Maybe, just maybe it's not the coaching.
Huh?

I voted for complacency.

I think ADSE basically chose to do the easier thing this year, and leave Miles where he was. Who knows. all those fluff pieces that came out a few weeks prior with Miles going on the record that he was told he had the support of SE and that he'd be back next year....all of that leading up to the epic meltdown at the end of the season just seemed to put SE in a bit of a box.

Spring football was right around the corner and everyone would be talking about the new install on Defense and the qb competition and bball would be forgotten about. and thats what happened. Miles is still here, and outside of a collective shoulder shrug, it is what it is.

I don't care how great the new transfer players are (i hope they are really good) if Miles can't get guys to play with proper spacing on offense, and create a system that has any type of purpose to it, none of it will matter neways.

Hows that for pessimistic.:) one thing is for sure, better days are ahead cause it really can't get much worse.

Last edited:
I voted for complacency.

I think ADSE basically chose to do the easier thing this year, and leave Miles where he was. Who knows. all those fluff pieces that came out a few weeks prior with Miles going on the record that he was told he had the support of SE and that he'd be back next year....all of that leading up to the epic meltdown at the end of the season just seemed to put SE in a bit of a box.

Spring football was right around the corner and everyone would be talking about the new install on Defense and the qb competition and bball would be forgotten about. and thats what happened. Miles is still here, and outside of a collective shoulder shrug, it is what it is.

I don't care how great the new transfer players are (i hope they are really good) if Miles can't get guys to play with proper spacing on offense, and create a system that has any type of purpose to it, none of it will matter neways.

Hows that for pessimistic.:) one thing is for sure, better days are ahead cause it really can't get much worse.

Just out of curiosity, how long do you suppose it takes for an AD to start the process of looking for a coach? This notion that every AD should have a rolodex on his desk with a list of coaches he'd want to contact is kind of silly. You may have a few coaches you'd dream of coaching for you, but the reality is they have to be interested in making a change. Top flight, top program guys aren't looking for changes. Top flight, mid level programs might be, but they have a wide variety of programs they can make that change to, and some of the mid level programs are paying quite well and have a strong enough reputation that allows those coaches to get their teams into March Madness and that's not a bad thing. So it boils down to having the right carrot to dangle, they guy who is hungering for a carrot, and then you just have to hope all he bites is the carrot, and not come in, screw things up worse, and bite you in the ass.

The same can be said for many of the assistant coaches many are enamored with. They have to see your program, and the opportunity for success to be their ticket into the HC world. If you are a predominant black hole, who would jump at that? Look at Northwestern and Collins, the program so many want to point to. Collins wanted Duke light. He wanted a school that is in a hotbed of recruiting, that didn't have massive expectations (similar to Duke when K showed up), with strong academics (which plays into his preferred system and style). Most just shook their heads when he went there, but I thought it was just the place he was looking for. He could build it without instant pressure. He could create an environment that best fit what he wants. Now if he wants to take this success and move on to something bigger, or even toss his hat in the ring when Coach K retires, that will be available for him, but at this point, he's in a great position because he knew what he wanted from a program.

You guys are so underestimating this whole coaching change thing.

Just out of curiosity, how long do you suppose it takes for an AD to start the process of looking for a coach? This notion that every AD should have a rolodex on his desk with a list of coaches he'd want to contact is kind of silly. You may have a few coaches you'd dream of coaching for you, but the reality is they have to be interested in making a change. Top flight, top program guys aren't looking for changes. Top flight, mid level programs might be, but they have a wide variety of programs they can make that change to, and some of the mid level programs are paying quite well and have a strong enough reputation that allows those coaches to get their teams into March Madness and that's not a bad thing. So it boils down to having the right carrot to dangle, they guy who is hungering for a carrot, and then you just have to hope all he bites is the carrot, and not come in, screw things up worse, and bite you in the ass.

The same can be said for many of the assistant coaches many are enamored with. They have to see your program, and the opportunity for success to be their ticket into the HC world. If you are a predominant black hole, who would jump at that? Look at Northwestern and Collins, the program so many want to point to. Collins wanted Duke light. He wanted a school that is in a hotbed of recruiting, that didn't have massive expectations (similar to Duke when K showed up), with strong academics (which plays into his preferred system and style). Most just shook their heads when he went there, but I thought it was just the place he was looking for. He could build it without instant pressure. He could create an environment that best fit what he wants. Now if he wants to take this success and move on to something bigger, or even toss his hat in the ring when Coach K retires, that will be available for him, but at this point, he's in a great position because he knew what he wanted from a program.

You guys are so underestimating this whole coaching change thing.

You described a long and arduous process for finding the right coach, and I'd agree. Thus, the reason I said that I think ADSE chose the easier route, which was do nothing. He would have had to start dangling the carrot weeks ago, but instead, we were reading quotes in the paper about how Miles was coming back and had full support etc etc. Not the move I would have made at the time, but thats the route ADSE took. The easier route. Perhaps ADSE truly believes that Miles is the man. Its also entirely possible that ADSE started dangling the carrot weeks ago and didn't get a bite. who knows. The evidence to support making a change was there. ADSE chose not to. I don't see any of this changing next year as Miles gets another audition, but I'll be happy to be wrong.

You described a long and arduous process for finding the right coach, and I'd agree. Thus, the reason I said that I think ADSE chose the easier route, which was do nothing. He would have had to start dangling the carrot weeks ago, but instead, we were reading quotes in the paper about how Miles was coming back and had full support etc etc. Not the move I would have made at the time, but thats the route ADSE took. The easier route. Perhaps ADSE truly believes that Miles is the man. Its also entirely possible that ADSE started dangling the carrot weeks ago and didn't get a bite. who knows. The evidence to support making a change was there. ADSE chose not to. I don't see any of this changing next year as Miles gets another audition, but I'll be happy to be wrong.

What was the main complaint with Collier and Sadler (beyond the wins and losses)? We didn't recruit enough talent. For years, that's all I heard, and frankly complained about myself. Now, for the first time since Danny Nee, I'm seeing some physically impressive guys on the roster. They aren't playing to their potential, but at least I don't see a bunch of slow, skinny guys trying to play against some of the beasts in the B1G. As for the carrots, there may have been some very subtle conversations, not like described in the local paper, that likely gave SE enough of a feeling that there wasn't a better option out there. I'm sure this year there will be feelers early should we look like we aren't fulfilling our potential.

What was the main complaint with Collier and Sadler (beyond the wins and losses)? We didn't recruit enough talent. For years, that's all I heard, and frankly complained about myself. Now, for the first time since Danny Nee, I'm seeing some physically impressive guys on the roster. They aren't playing to their potential, but at least I don't see a bunch of slow, skinny guys trying to play against some of the beasts in the B1G. As for the carrots, there may have been some very subtle conversations, not like described in the local paper, that likely gave SE enough of a feeling that there wasn't a better option out there. I'm sure this year there will be feelers early should we look like we aren't fulfilling our potential.
Have to agree. We finally have size inside, and they're both younger players. I'm sure I heard it more than once: Nebraska had the youngest roster in the B1G this last season, and not the least talented. It makes sense to let Miles finish the job he's done the last two recruiting classes. He's finally got his players.

Have to agree. We finally have size inside, and they're both younger players. I'm sure I heard it more than once: Nebraska had the youngest roster in the B1G this last season, and not the least talented. It makes sense to let Miles finish the job he's done the last two recruiting classes. He's finally got his players.
But this is the poop or get off the pot year. If the kids don't start to look like a team, then sadly the experiment needs to end.

But this is the poop or get off the pot year. If the kids don't start to look like a team, then sadly the experiment needs to end.
I'm expecting them to do quite well ooc, and a break-even conference mark would put us in the tournament.

I don't think thats right, Iowa did. Michigan State wasn't far back.

In fact, even Creighton at the end of the year started 2 freshman, 1 sophmore, and a junior.

I don't think thats right, Iowa did. Michigan State wasn't far back.

In fact, even Creighton at the end of the year started 2 freshman, 1 sophmore, and a junior.
What does Creighton have to do with the B1G?

I'm certain the announcers on a play by play of a game said Nebraska had the youngest roster in the conference. Maybe they were wrong.

I'm expecting them to do quite well ooc, and a break-even conference mark would put us in the tournament.

But we don't even know who we play in OOC yet. The ones we do know for sure, Creighton, Kansas are going to be hard to win. The others we know we might play, vs the ACC (#1 conference) will be against probably Wake /Clemson/NC St, still a tough matchup, then you throw in the Big East challenge assuming we're chosen, which hopefully they just combine our Creighton game in that. (assuming since we didnt participate this past year)

I like the wishful thinking though.

Last edited:
Either way, since I havent replied to the thread, we are 100% complacent. We don't ever expect our team to be great, and if we do expect that and then the team fails to meet that, we just shrug our shoulders.

No reason given the recruits and money and facilities we have in the program we can't achieve success on a given year. Even this year... Close loss to Clemson, OT Loss to Wisconsin, Blowing the Ohio State and Rutgers games back to back. Those close losses that are decided at the last moments could have pushed us to at least a bubble team. We're almost there, but in terms of this year I blame Miles. The moment he gave the team to Tai Webster and called ISOs for him almost 50% of the time to drive to the bucket is when the team fell off the tracks. I understand his reasoning a little bit given that Watson was struggling, Morrow went down a little, and Roby didnt breakout hot... but he fell back on a plan when we had Pettiway and then Shields. Webster isnt nearly as good as those two, and for that to work, you have to have an NBA prospect like Jok or possibly Andrew White might have worked.

So... I would have been happy firing him, to move on and get better over the long run, but I think our 2017-18 ceiling is higher with Miles as the coach.

GET TICKETS

Back