• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

All the 4 stars in this class

djlhuskerfan

Starter
15 Year Member
Looking like at least 14 to 15 4 star players in this class. But still only around top 20 or so. Makes we wonder if today there are more high quality athletes than what there used to be. Better training methods or just genetics are making more kids into tremendous athletes. I don't have any facts but are there more 4 star athletes out there than who was available 20 years ago? Man I hope we keep all these 4 stars in the fold. Pelini had the worst luck with his 4 stars

In his three years 15,16,17 Riley and his staff landed 17 four star athletes.Frost and company have landed 9 so far( more than half as many) this year alone and they’re not finished.

Looking like at least 14 to 15 4 star players in this class. But still only around top 20 or so. Makes we wonder if today there are more high quality athletes than what there used to be. Better training methods or just genetics are making more kids into tremendous athletes. I don't have any facts but are there more 4 star athletes out there than who was available 20 years ago? Man I hope we keep all these 4 stars in the fold. Pelini had the worst luck with his 4 stars
There's not more 4 stars, just more sites to count kids as 4 stars. For example, the reason we have 14-15 4 stars potentially is because here's our 4 stars:

247 composite: 6 four stars
247 ranking: 7 four stars
Rivals: 9 four stars
ESPN: 9 four stars

We basically are just able to count certain guys as four stars because certain sites count them as such. There's a reason that no matter if it's Pelini, Riley, or Frost, we are going to finish 15th-30th in recruiting. Until we start winning championships, we won't get many ratings bumps. Even with 11 four stars in 2011 according to Rivals, we still only got to 15th.

Last edited:
There's not more 4 stars, just more sites to count kids as 4 stars. For example, the reason we have 14-15 4 stars potentially is because here's our 4 stars:

We basically are just able to count certain guys as four stars because certain sites count them as such. There's a reason that no matter if it's Pelini, Riley, or Frost, we are going to finish 15th-30th in recruiting. Until we start winning championships, we won't get many ratings bumps. Even with 11 four stars in 2011 according to Rivals, we still only got to 15th.
It's why I only count them if they are consensus. It's like claiming MNC from 1925 because the Iowa Sun said you were.

It's why I only count them if they are consensus. It's like claiming MNC from 1925 because the Iowa Sun said you were.
I guess it doesn't matter on total number but it seems we got a lot of quality players to only be ranked about 20th or so.

I guess it doesn't matter on total number but it seems we got a lot of quality players to only be ranked about 20th or so.
For sure. If Frost can continue to pull in walk ons that have other d2 offers, finishing in the 15-20 range should be ok for now.

When we start winning a lot we'll get higher ranked kids. In part, because we're winning and services track who offers in order to grade them.

amazed how many good players we got to only be ranked 20th
I see. It does seem like we should be ranked little higher but maybe that’s because we read so much about our recruits. Nonetheless, they all seem to be really good for our system. On ESPNU radio they say the class rankings are really kind of a crapshoot anyway.

I don’t mind looking at a recruit as being “a four star on at least one service” due to that meaning that service has compared him against his peers and determined he’s really good.

I agree with you tho, I look at composite but they include some awful services.

I see. It does seem like we should be ranked little higher but maybe that’s because we read so much about our recruits. Nonetheless, they all seem to be really good for our system. On ESPNU radio they say the class rankings are really kind of a crapshoot anyway.

It'd be interesting to use the same system to rank players finishing up their college careers and compare them to the high school rankings coming into college.

I think some of this can be explained on getting the very top players or not. Rivals cuts off at 20 prospects and scores on the number ranking and bonuses for top 250. A 6.1 #20 nationally player will get 210 points and it will take two 5.8 four stars to equal it.

What I am really liking about this class is the quality of the guys not being counted.

The BigRedAvenger Rankings place all of our recruits as 11 Stars, putting us at number 1. For comparison, Iowa’s top recruit comes in at 1 Urinal, placing them dead last in all of football, not just college.

Dude, I think you just made all the other rating services obsolete!

amazed how many good players we got to only be ranked 20th

We honestly don’t have a clear view of what a 20th rated class looks like.

Let’s use rivals, the 20th rated class would = 20 4 star 5.8 rated recruits. This would translate to 2100 points which is just about what we have 2091 yet we only have 9 4 star recruits Expect we will finish 17 or 18 this year

Why Do we have these many points and this is what really matters?

Teams receive bonus points for 4 star recruits with a 5.9 rating and above. Today we have 3 5.9 and 1 6.0 rated recruits. Hopefully after tonight we will pick up one more 5.9. These are the kids that not only have measurables but they are difference makers as we witnessed at army hs all star game

Huskers rarely have had more than 2 in any one year. 2017 we had four but one never made it to school and remaining ones transferred with gebbia being the best of the lot

The second reason we are higher this year compared to normal we have dramatically reduced the number 5.5 or lower recruits we take. This year we have 2. In Pelini years that might make up 10 or more recruits

So I am not happy with where we are going. And I’m hoping from now future classes will look like this one with slight increase to 6-8 of 5.9 or higher recruits

FWIW I flew from Dallas to Omaha this morning and coach Chinander probably returning from visiting the Parker kid

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back