• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Alexi Lalas calls out USMNT

You beat me by 2 minutes. :Mad:

While I'm not a huge fan of the way he goes about making his point, I do agree with what of much he said. Probably the only thing I really disagreed about what his "take" on Pulisic. Kid is just 18, and probably was the best player in the previous 2 qualifiers, so calling him out wasn't really warranted.

"Bruce Arena. Jurgen Klinsmann lost at home to Mexico. You lost at home to Costa Rica. This is now all on you, not Jurgen," he continued.
:Stirthepot:

You beat me by 2 minutes. :Mad:

While I'm not a huge fan of the way he goes about making his point, I do agree with what of much he said. Probably the only thing I really disagreed about what his "take" on Pulisic. Kid is just 18, and probably was the best player in the previous 2 qualifiers, so calling him out wasn't really warranted.

:Stirthepot:

Yeah some needed to be said, I think he says it more from a fan perspective. But I agree with Pulisic, I think he has had a part in 9 of our last 11 goals or something, not sure what more Alexi feels he should do

He called out the team a few times when Klinsman was the coach too....;)

With that being said they need to up there game and forget the last two games.

Oh and I like Alexi and always have. :)

Last edited:

He called out the team a few times when Klinsman was the coach too....;)

With that being said they need to up there game and forget the last two games.

Oh and I like Alexi and always have. :)

If there's one thing Alexi is good at, it's giving hot takes on the current state of USMNT. This one seemed more personal for Alexi, at least from my perspective. Usually his rants feel forced, like he's trying to create a really cool soundbite.

If there's one thing Alexi is good at, it's giving hot takes on the current state of USMNT. This one seemed more personal for Alexi, at least from my perspective. Usually his rants feel forced, like he's trying to create a really cool soundbite.

No more personal than any other time in my opinion.

I haven't seen Lalas be this blunt before, even singling out multiple players and including the captain.

Arena better get this ship righted in a hurry. I cannot imagine a World Cup without us in it...that would be one helluva setback.

To each his own. The guys he called out, with the exception of Pulisic, are playing for their legacy next month.

I am not sure with. Pedigree of many of these folks I would totally agree with what you said

The two opening losses in the HEX really put us in a bind. Only one loss under Arena and its tough when you have no room for error

If anything Gulati is the one whose job is on the line. He put us in this bind through indecision

However yes I agree they have to play better

I haven't seen Lalas be this blunt before, even singling out multiple players and including the captain.

Arena better get this ship righted in a hurry. I cannot imagine a World Cup without us in it...that would be one helluva setback.

I have a few times about Klinsman

It won't be just on Arena. Klinsman and Gulati share most of the blame in my opinion

I am not sure with. Pedigree of many of these folks I would totally agree with what you said

The two opening losses in the HEX really put us in a bind. Only one loss under Arena and its tough when you have no room for error

If anything Gulati is the one whose job is on the line. He put us in this bind through indecision

However yes I agree they have to play better

To the first bolded part, when you don't qualify for the World Cup, that's your legacy. Howard and Dempsey have enough club success to probably overcome that, but certainly not the guys who have played virtually their whole careers in MLS, and Bradley will go down as the captain that failed to lead his team to the WC. That's the way it goes. People won't burn their jerseys, but it'll be one of the more important bullet points in their career bio.

To the second bolded part, I think that's a little over done. The two losses were terrible, and that's why JK was fired. Still, the USMNT controls its own destiny for qualification, despite picking up just 2 points over its past three matches. Arena gets credit for the point @Mexico, but 2 points in three matches isn't good enough. There was room for error, it just evaporated in the September qualifier window.

Last edited:
To the first bolded part, sorry, but when you don't qualify for the World Cup, that's your legacy. Howard and Dempsey have enough club success to probably overcome that, but certainly not the guys who have played virtually their whole careers in MLS, and Bradley will go down as the captain that failed to lead his team to the WC. That's the way it goes. People won't burn their jerseys, but it'll be one of the more important bullet points in their career bio.

To the second bolded part, I think that's a little over done. The two losses were terrible, and that's why JK was fired. Still, the USMNT controls its own destiny for qualification, despite picking up just 2 points over its past three matches. Arena gets credit for the point @Mexico, but 2 points in three matches isn't good enough. There was room for error, it just evaporated in the September qualifier window.

Needless to say I disagree on both points

George Best never played in a World Cup and is arguably the greatest player to ever play the game.

Ernie Banks never played in a World Series and is rightfully so a HOF

I could go on and on

Klinsman put us in a deep hole but honestly Gulati is the villain here for or so many obvious reasons and honestly I think he is the guy who will take the brunt if we fail

Arena inherited a mess and over all has done a very good job. I still think we qualify but yes we need to turn it up

In my mind Gulati is the fall guy for the most part if we fail through indecision and bad deals. Yes Jurgen and Bruce will bear some blame with Arena to a much less extent

At worst we make the playoff in my opinion

Good discusion

I hated (and still hate) Klinsman. I think he screwed with my pride and joy. So it pains me to say this, but he bears no responsibility for our current form. When JK tried taking all the credit for success, I was quick to point out that as the National Team coach, he does nothing to actually improve the players individually. That's the difference between club and country. Along, those same lines, Arena is solely responsible for the ugly and disorganized play we see now. That's not on JK. I want it to be, but he's gone and Bruce shoulders this mess. We all know and have seen each and every player on the team play better for their club than for their country. It's why some club coaches don't make good national team coaches. It's just a different mentality. The national team coach only needs to find a way to get the best 11 on the field who can play together as a team, and not individuals. Look at Argentina currently. They are having the same problems we are. And I'm not even sure it has to do with coaching. Sometimes you have players who just play differently when they wear their country's colors. Some better, some worse.

So, long story short, a country has to find the right coach for the right players, when the players change every year. So either you find success by always having the best players OR you get lucky and find the right coach to fit the most players for that generation. It's difficult. We aren't Germany. So we have to be Costa Rica. Find the right coach for the players we have who happens to implement a style that fits our strengths.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back