• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Alaskan Cruise Suggestions

Squatchsker

All American
15 Year Member
So, it is upcoming on our 15th anniversary and I want to do something special for my wife. Thinking about an Alaskan Cruise. Anyone here been down that rabbit hole? Suggestions? Concerns? Warnings?

I've been searching for one myself. We did a Mexican riviera last year on princess and unless you are aged 70+ I would stay away from them. I've been stuck trying to decide between Celebrity and Norwegian, both offer excellent choices. From what I understand, balconies are preferable on the Alaska runs so you don't have to fight the crowds when you are in scenic areas, but then you have to decide what side of the ship you want to be on. Also, have you considered a cruisetour, with a few days on train included?

So, it is upcoming on our 15th anniversary and I want to do something special for my wife. Thinking about an Alaskan Cruise. Anyone here been down that rabbit hole? Suggestions? Concerns? Warnings?
I've never talked to anyone that didn't love the cruise although a friend didn't care for holland America line as he said the ship was to small.

Been to Anchorage and Fairbanks, but no cruise. Alaska is pretty awesome, in general.

We did a small ship cruise and could get into some areas that a bigger ship could not. Our particular ship held only 36 guests and launched sea kayaks or took you to shore via raft for hiking. Those activities were optional. We had one rainy day where we just cruised into the smaller bays searching for otters, whales, and orcas (found all 3). It was many years ago and I can't recall the company name now; I do remember that they had a larger size ship as well (around 100 guests).

DO NOT! I REPEAT, DO NOT JUMP OVERBOARD...... The water up there is COLD!!!!

If you see any walruses, you might be interested to know that they have the second largest penis of all the mammals...

If you see any walruses, you might be interested to know that they have the second largest penis of all the mammals...
screaming-smiley-emoticon.gif
facepalm-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif

Are you stuck on an Alaskan cruise? I went to Jamaica for a week last year and never wanted to come back. I find myself thinking about it, just about every day.

It's been a while, but we did an Inside Passage cruise. Left from Seward and got off the boat in Vancouver. Incredibly relaxing to sit on the deck and watch Alaska slide by. We saw a good number of bears on the islands and all kinds of sea life. Most of the people on the cruise were older (60+), so we had the run of the ship, for the most part. Never any trouble finding a spot in the hot tubs or a treadmill for a nice walk. I believe we were on Princess. I don't recall the exact ports of call, but they were fun. Enjoyed just sitting in a deck chair with one beverage or another more than anything.

It's been a while, but we did an Inside Passage cruise. Left from Seward and got off the boat in Vancouver. Incredibly relaxing to sit on the deck and watch Alaska slide by. We saw a good number of bears on the islands and all kinds of sea life. Most of the people on the cruise were older (60+), so we had the run of the ship, for the most part. Never any trouble finding a spot in the hot tubs or a treadmill for a nice walk. I believe we were on Princess. I don't recall the exact ports of call, but they were fun. Enjoyed just sitting in a deck chair with one beverage or another more than anything.
We went over 30 years ago. I had the opposite experience. We started our cruise in Glacier Bay, went to Sitka. That segment was very good. But the entire rest of the voyage to Vancouver was a fiasco. It was end of June/July 1st time frame. The BC coast was fogged in and seas were rough. Three rough days. We were all of 25 & 26. The vast majority of the people on the cruise were our grandparents age (my parents just broke 50). If I had to do it over, I would start at Sitka and work toward Seward. Spend more time in the Anchorage and Cook Inlet area. First & Last cruise we ever went on. Food was outstanding. I don't want to complain too much about the oldsters, we had some great conversations at dinner, and the food was outstanding. But hugely boring. I also knew some people who were able to fly in the Glacier Bay and chartered some boats for smaller scale tours. I'd look into that.

Last edited:

We went over 30 years ago. I had the opposite experience. We started our cruise in Glacier Bay, went to Sitka. That segment was very good. But the entire rest of the voyage to Vancouver was a fiasco. It was end of June/July 1st time frame. The BC coast was fogged in and seas were rough. Three rough days. We were all of 25 & 26. The vast majority of the people on the cruise were our grandparents age (my parents just broke 50). If I had to do it over, I would start at Sitka and work toward Seward. Spend more time in the Anchorage and Cook Inlet area. First & Last cruise we ever went on. Food was outstanding. I don't want to complain too much about the oldsters, we had some great conversations at dinner, and the food was outstanding. But hugely boring. I also knew some people who were able to fly in the Glacier Bay and chartered some boats for smaller scale tours. I'd look into that.

The trip I mentioned earlier was a small plane flight into Glacier Bay and then the small ship cruise from there. I found it much more enjoyable than a cruise with a few thousand people.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back