• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Agree or disagree?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I agree with his logic to an extent, but I haven't ever wanted them to fill a class just to fill it, regardless of whether they are processing kids. I want them to fill a class not only with the best players, best fit, etc, but also to create depth that we could have used at QB last year and could use at DB this year.

We're sitting here now down 8 scholarships. That's a DB, a DE, an OT, whatever. Was an additional signee in 2017 going to contribute this fall? Probably not, but I believe *** commented that a guy like Blades should have been getting us to 3 over, not just to the class size. Now we are looking at a possible depth issue at DB this year and one creeping up on us at RB in a year or two. Now, I don't think we are going to undersign every year, and Donte will haul in some DBs, but it's tough in February 2018 to look ahead at February 2019 and say, "oh yeah, we can pass on this 3* guy because we'll totes get better dudes next year".

I trust these guys' evaluations, but I want a full class every year-not to just fill it, but because it's necessary to compete.

Please answer this question. Does NU honor the scholarship for four years even if the player is a non-contributor?

I think it's fine to an extent. I don't really want to see guys put in all that work to just be shown the door. But, at the same time, it could benefit the player as well. Some guys are "processed out" because they haven't seen the field their first four years and won't see it their fifth year. This could give an opportunity to someone to transfer out for their final graduate year and actually get some playing time at a new school.

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm going to assume guys like Joe Keels (Buffalo), Zach Hannon (Kansas), and Dwayne Johnson (Texas Tech) were all "processed out".

Keels played in all 12 games for Buffalo last season after appearing in only 5 career games at Nebraska. Hannon (15 career games playing on special teams) and Johnson (two career appearances) could potentially earn some actual playing time in the Big 12 this upcoming season.

But then guys like Collins Okafor and Lester Ward hung up their cleats with a year left of eligibility after receiving their degrees.

We've also had Harvey Jackson (BYU), Paul Thurston (Colorado State), Kevin Williams (Michigan State), Chase Rome (Memphis), Kevin Dixon (Troy) graduate and transfer out for one reason or another.

So here's my opinion on this tweet... I don't think these two things go together at all. If you are filling a class to get bodies and depth, "processing players" makes it so that's not as big of a risk. Another way to say it is, I think if you AREN'T going to process players that you shouldn't just take guys to fill a class because you are "stuck" with them. So I actually completely disagree with the premise he is tweeting about. I would actually have the exact opposite opinion, if you are going to process guys, you take the max every class and just fill it.

I also don't think "just filling a class" means you are going to make it so guys like McNitt, Conrad, Hoppes, and others can't get scholarships. As of right now I think we are sitting at 77 scholarships, so there's more than enough to go around. I remember after the 2016 class when we were sitting plus 2 from oversigning, people were freaking out wondering what we were going to do if no one quits or transfers or gets in trouble. We ended up having enough to hand out even that year. The fact is, you are going to see 5 people leave in a cycle so you have some buffer.

If i'm coach, I fill to 85 with guys I know I am getting on campus. Guys like Elijah Blades or Deontae Watts are used in the plus 3. If they get here, great, but i'm not counting on them to help my depth. You also use the plus 3 for guys taking it to signing day that you really aren't sure about like an Andrus Peat. This wouldn't include a guy like Guy Thomas, who Parrella felt good about the entire time, but becomes tricky with a guy like Dez Fitzpatrick who was committed to us until the last weekend.

I know some old school guys think signing the 85 every year then getting into the plus 3 would make it so walk-ons couldn't get scholarships, but that isn't true. Heck, we are 8 under right now and we went to 83 total scholarships with the 2017 class. Even if we signed 5 more guys (the maximum), we still have 3 scholarships to hand out to deserving walk-ons.
I agree with you. I don't think he has thought this through...if he has, he's wrong.

Recruiting is a strange world today. I don't think the tweet is necessarily one connected behavior.

First is filling classes...I think you take every player that fits your team, maximize the scholarships, always honor the scholarships. Injuries, fit and attrition happen every season so there is no need to ever leave a position short. I also think depth is a misnomer, we have depth at every position, just not 3+ star Power 5 depth, walk-ons, recruiting busts and role players are on the roster. We did have a QB depth issue, however 2 guys transferred out causing some scrambling. I doubt we ever see that again at any position unless a coaching change occurs and scheme is adjusted.

Second...Having a realistic conversation with a player and letting them know playing time is not in their future at Nebraska is fair. The player then can self select to 'process' themselves out, as many have, or stick it out and graduate with a free degree. As above always honor the scholarship.

I sometimes think people think players are in some magical bubble and don't discuss their playing time and options, and PT discussions are a surprise all of a sudden. This staff seems to have a very realistic and transparent relationship with every player. I don't think leaving is ever encouraged, unless the player themselves are rethinking their spot. I wish every player well, incoming and outgoing and hope they find whatever they are looking for no matter where it takes them.

I guess I agree with his logic to an extent, but I haven't ever wanted them to fill a class just to fill it, regardless of whether they are processing kids. I want them to fill a class not only with the best players, best fit, etc, but also to create depth that we could have used at QB last year and could use at DB this year.

We're sitting here now down 8 scholarships. That's a DB, a DE, an OT, whatever. Was an additional signee in 2017 going to contribute this fall? Probably not, but I believe *** commented that a guy like Blades should have been getting us to 3 over, not just to the class size. Now we are looking at a possible depth issue at DB this year and one creeping up on us at RB in a year or two. Now, I don't think we are going to undersign every year, and Donte will haul in some DBs, but it's tough in February 2018 to look ahead at February 2019 and say, "oh yeah, we can pass on this 3* guy because we'll totes get better dudes next year".

I trust these guys' evaluations, but I want a full class every year-not to just fill it, but because it's necessary to compete.
Here's my easy way to explain it to people... i'm quite certain we could have flipped Brett Kittrell from Ashland-Greenwood, but we chose not to even though Watts was an academic risk. I get we were looking at him for both sides of the ball, but if we were looking at him for defense, or if we flip him then move a guy like Walker over to DE with the loss of Watts, it was doable. We chose not to, and I completely get that.

You bring up RB and again I agree... if we don't take one this year, we are looking at a minimum of 2 next year and most likely 3. I don't trust Davis there for one, but that's a lot of guys to bring in if we are wanting blue chips there.

I believe I wrote on here on signing day or around then, that if we don't get Blades on campus, not taking a single DB is a bad situation, and here we are. Donte Williams will stock that room, but the immediate is a bit concerning.

Maybe an athletic scholarship should be done like a regular scholarship! You have to meet certain standards of achievement to retain the scholarship. I would hate to see anyone cut loose but you have to meet standards. Should be an appeal process in there somewhere.

Here's my easy way to explain it to people... i'm quite certain we could have flipped Brett Kittrell from Ashland-Greenwood, but we chose not to even though Watts was an academic risk. I get we were looking at him for both sides of the ball, but if we were looking at him for defense, or if we flip him then move a guy like Walker over to DE with the loss of Watts, it was doable. We chose not to, and I completely get that.

You bring up RB and again I agree... if we don't take one this year, we are looking at a minimum of 2 next year and most likely 3. I don't trust Davis there for one, but that's a lot of guys to bring in if we are wanting blue chips there.

I believe I wrote on here on signing day or around then, that if we don't get Blades on campus, not taking a single DB is a bad situation, and here we are. Donte Williams will stock that room, but the immediate is a bit concerning.
I was ok with not flipping Kittrell if our line coaches didn't feel like he'd develop into what they needed. I would have been fine taking him though, and wouldn't have considered that filling a class to fill it. I'd have considered that moving down the board to someone you've seen at camps and have a relationship with who might develop for you and create some depth.

When I think of filling a class just to fill it, I take that to mean we offer a kid late without doing due diligence or we offer a kid who isn't on our board and should probably be at SDSU or a walk on here.

Im not sure of the rules so maybe someone on here may be able to shed light. Are there rules against nudging a player off the team and providing them a scholarship that is not an athletic, not counting against the 85 limit.

Let me say I am not for filling it just to fill it
I don't like filling the class with whatever is available. I do believe Nebraska kids work hard if it comes down to a speculation I'd go with the best Nebraska player available. There are dozens of Nebraska kids playing in. North Dakota that seem to be a lot better than some SEC or Texas kids who didn't work out.

What some don't seem to "get" is that the more chances you have, the more likely it is to find a guy(s) that prove out. If you could get 3 more guys in a class, you should do it every time (barring unusual circumstances) because that is three more chances to land a contributor. And, as we all know, fewer than half of our recruits will end up major contributors in most years. That one extra contributor, might be the guy that makes the play that wins us the BIG...

Last edited:
Im not sure of the rules so maybe someone on here may be able to shed light. Are there rules against nudging a player off the team and providing them a scholarship that is not an athletic, not counting against the 85 limit.
I'm curious about that myself. Are you allowed to just straight cut a kid?

Like someone mentioned above, if the kids already graduated and he's not going to play, thanks for your time, feel free to grab a cookie on your way out.

Where I think it gets dicey is that 2nd or 3rd year guy who obviously will never see the field. Personally I'd go on a case by case basis. If someone's just not up to playing division 1 football I'd be inclined to strongly suggest they move on but I will caveat that with saying if he's a good kid, serious about his education and a good locker room guy I'd be more inclined to let him stick around.

Now if I'm constantly bailing you out of trouble, you're lazy in the weight room, other players don't like you. AND you're not going to see the field. That's an easier decision. But yeah, short answer I don't have a problem cutting fat from the program but I also don't think you should be doing it all willy nilly either.

What some don't seem to "get" is that the more chances you have, the more likely it is to find a guy(s) that prove out. If you could get 3 more guys in a class, you should do it every time (barring unusual circumstances) because that is three more chances to land a contributor. And, as we all know, fewer than half of our recruits will end up major contributors in most years. That one extra contributor, might be the guy that makes the play that wins us the BIG...
Allow me to play devils advocate for a minute. What if one of those guys ends up being kind of a D***( what are the rules about cussing on here?) and it throws off the locker room. I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying but I can see scenarios where it goes the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back