• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A new brain injury lawsuit could be the undoing of college football as we know it

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ says it won't win this case. Football will continue with a few modifications.

I agree with this. There are probably a lot of potential cases out there that will change the game, but I don’t think this is one of them.

“Leaning”.....”I think”......”fact”

That’s not how it works. But you’re making a great argument to get rid of girls HS soccer in this thread.

I was expressing my nonscientific interpretation of the literature that I read… if you Google and read the information for yourself… Perhaps you will come up with a separate conclusion. That is how it works...

I am not interested in"Gotcha" Posting. I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject though… not just how you think I didn't post correctly. If you think I lack the intuitive resources to add it to the discussion… Perhaps you could show me by example?

Last edited:

I was expressing my nonscientific interpretation of the literature that I read… if you Google and read the information for yourself… Perhaps you will come up with a separate conclusion. That is how it works...

I am not interested in"Gotcha" Posting. I would love to hear your thoughts on the subject though… not just how you think I didn't post correctly. If you think I lack the intuitive resources to add it to the discussion… Perhaps you could show me by example?
Earlier in the thread, you dismissed the conclusion/solution from another poster with a semantics argument.

You've since made many careless/misleading posts regarding "facts" from literature. When others read that same literature and express different conclusions, you accuse them of playing games.

I think many here think you lack the intuitive resources to add to the discussion...and they HAVE shown you by example....but you just accuse them of games. Methinks thou doth protest too much?

At this point it looks like researchers have determined that almost 100% of NFL players have suffered CTE… I guess the scientific research will have to backtrack and see where it starts and how prevalent it is at the youngest age groups. So far the research that I’ve Googled and read has been leaning I think to the fact that CTE starts almost immediately in sports with head trauma…
No, research has shown that 96% of NFL players WHO ALREADY SUSPECTED THEY HAD CTE AND DONATED THEIR BRAINS FOR RESEARCH were correct in their assumptions.

That cannot be applied to the large percentage of NFL players who do not have the same suspicions.

Don't want to derail here, but: Boxing continues to have fewer great athletes, Bud Crawford is an exception. MMA allows blows to the head, BUT fights end much quicker than boxing (rare to see someone get knocked down more than 2x, allowed to finish instead of "recover").

On topic: Leather helmets are a better option, or wrestling ear protectors. Instead of minimum size, American football might end up with "maximum size" requirements. This is where science is taking the game, not some 'wussification factor'. Football can't be played without injury and concussions, but there's almost no activity that can. Everyone who cares about the game will need to be involved to make it safer. Now we are learning that brain injuries have lasting effects and can't ignore it.
This is what I have said. The difference in size between the smallest and the largest players is huge. Look at the Olines and D lines of the Late seventies early eighties. No where near what they are now. Those guys were mostly 240-260 lbs. It was mid 90s when linemen really started getting huge. When a 200 lb RB gets thrown down by a guy who is 240. Not as much risk as the same 200# back getting thrown to the ground by a 350# DL. Just pure physics.

This is what I have said. The difference in size between the smallest and the largest players is huge. Look at the Olines and D lines of the Late seventies early eighties. No where near what they are now. Those guys were mostly 240-260 lbs. It was mid 90s when linemen really started getting huge. When a 200 lb RB gets thrown down by a guy who is 240. Not as much risk as the same 200# back getting thrown to the ground by a 350# DL. Just pure physics.
One of the most vicious hits (in terms of damage) was Dana Brinson going full speed and getting decked by a linebacker who weighed 100 pounds more. Brinson got a lacerated liver out of the tackle. Now we have super fast guys who weigh 160 and fast guys who weigh 300. Not saying it's the end of the sport, just a risk that is now amplified.

If you think I lack the intuitive resources to add it to the discussion… Perhaps you could show me by example?
At this point it looks like researchers have determined that almost 100% of NFL players have suffered CTE
Link?

Don't smoke, it can kill you, don't play football it can kill you, don't box it can kill you, don't ride a motorcycle it can kill you, don't do drugs it can kill you. As a matter of fact don't get out of bed it can kill you.

There we should be covered. They maybe didn't know it back then but anyone in the last 10-15 years that did any of the above should never be allowed to sue because they knew that whatever it was they were doing could potential harm them.

Oversimplified but that is how I feel.[/QUOTE
Unfortunately all of the above is good for business..... :(

Last edited:

One of the most vicious hits (in terms of damage) was Dana Brinson going full speed and getting decked by a linebacker who weighed 100 pounds more. Brinson got a lacerated liver out of the tackle. Now we have super fast guys who weigh 160 and fast guys who weigh 300. Not saying it's the end of the sport, just a risk that is now amplified.
absolutely understand and agree with your point.

What I’m doing isn’t gotcha posting. My point is that you’re posting theories based on incomplete data sets and calling them facts. That doesn’t work.

I’d wager most men who play college football go on to lead fruitful lives that are hardly or not at all affected by CTE. As someone with 2 football concussions (that I know about), I have some concerns, but Parkinson’s already runs in my family. Point is, knowing the concerns, I would go back and play today if I knew the experiences would be the same and my sons are allowed to choose whether or not to play when they get to middle school. This lawsuit won’t be the death of football and we are a long way from getting definitive facts on CTE.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back