• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A new brain injury lawsuit could be the undoing of college football as we know it

Joncarl....are you going to give your 6 year old son a pack of cigarettes to smoke....or a syringe with heroin to shoot? The analogy is false. It is becoming clear that to put your child into a full contact football program, is to expose them to injurious brain damage. The longer they play.....the more the brain is damaged.....

Facts are stubborn things...;)

We can chose to 'ignore' them.....ok.

But the fact are not going away..... the lawyers are not going away....the CTE researcher is not going away.... the growing groundswell of parents declining to put their child in football will only increase.... and the coming massive insurance costs to organize and facilitate a youth/school football league are not going away.

Do I hope this happens? Of course not....but its going to. (and for the sake of the CTE facts)...it has to. So, 'change the game...or end the game' will soon become the reality of the day...

JMO.
Research is not going to go away ... but I have a huge issue with someone from the 1970's claiming negligence now 50 years later. My family once owned a car that did not even have seat belts. Should we sue the manufacturer for endangering the lives of everyone who used that car?

If you can prove that someone ... anyone in 1968 knew the dangers of football and CTE then that is a different story. I doubt you can.

Nem, there is a huge legal difference between ....A waver action on an injury that "Could happen"…

verse signing a waiver concerning a brain injury that "will happen".
Is it anything like those waivers people sign when they go to the grocery store and buy smokes?

Disagree ... was the athlete ever in a car accident?, did he play post-collegiate sports recreationally?, what was his post collegiate profession - could it have caused CTE?

My 86 year mother has dementia and Alzheimer's ... she never played football but displays similar characteristics as people with late stage CTE.

I am not saying that there is not a connection between football and CTE but to claim FOR CERTAIN that there is a direct causal link is subject to blurring of the lines.
Ridulous. Denial is your best friend.

You think every football player "will" suffer from CTE?

Good question… The answer to the question would be so much easier if you could administer a blood test and see if there was a positive result for CTE… But sadly that’s not the case

The only way to see CTE is by brain biopsy after death.According to frontline and the PBS story… 98% of NFL players that were biopsied after death had CTE.

I have also seen studies that have biopsied high school players who have died… In a very high percentage of those high school players also had CTE.

I think the research that is being done now is pointing to “Will“ rather than “may“

Research is not going to go away ... but I have a huge issue with someone from the 1970's claiming negligence now 50 years later. My family once owned a car that did not even have seat belts. Should we sue the manufacturer for endangering the lives of everyone who used that car?

If you can prove that someone ... anyone in 1968 knew the dangers of football and CTE then that is a different story. I doubt you can.

I understand your question… However, I was not and am not discussing old injury claims… But what new research is showing and where are the inevitable result will lead/leave the sport.

Good question… The answer to the question would be so much easier if you could administer a blood test and see if there was a positive result for CTE… But sadly that’s not the case

The only way to see CTE is by brain biopsy after death.According to frontline and the PBS story… 98% of NFL players that were biopsied after death had CTE.

I have also seen studies that have biopsied high school players who have died… In a very high percentage of those high school players also had CTE.

I think the research that is being done now is pointing to “Will“ rather than “may“
Then you admit in your reply to Nemesis your argument is false?

You think every single player who ever plays football for any length of time will suffer from CTE?

Last edited:

You think every single player who ever plays football for any length of time will suffer from CTE?

At this point it looks like researchers have determined that almost 100% of NFL players have suffered CTE… I guess the scientific research will have to backtrack and see where it starts and how prevalent it is at the youngest age groups. So far the research that I’ve Googled and read has been leaning I think to the fact that CTE starts almost immediately in sports with head trauma…

What?:Facepalm:

Show the board that you’ve got something to add… Content wise… Stop with all the “gotcha“ stuff…
Sez the guy who tries to counter Nemesis's argument with something that doesn't exist.

If you won't/can't answer my questions, you can just ignore them. No need to try to make it personal. Are you uncomfortable with my presence and you are telling me to leave?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ says it won't win this case. Football will continue with a few modifications.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back