• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A new brain injury lawsuit could be the undoing of college football as we know it

What you did not have 20 years ago was the 'hard research' the has come forth about CTE.... and with this will come the lawyers....making their case's in court....

BIG difference.

Which means players will have to sign waivers if they want to play, not that the game will cease to exist.

Which means players will have to sign waivers if they want to play, not that the game will cease to exist.

Nem, there is a huge legal difference between ....A waver action on an injury that "Could happen"…

verse signing a waiver concerning a brain injury that "will happen".

Funny, I heard the same thing about boxing 20 years ago. It still exists at all age levels. Even more so a more violent combat sport has arisen.MMA. Almost every sport has the danger of STE including soccer with the headers.

There will be changes and there already are. Limiting contact in practices is already happening. When is the last time you saw an ear hole block. There will be a number of changes like that. The ferver from this will die down just like it did for boxing.
Don't want to derail here, but: Boxing continues to have fewer great athletes, Bud Crawford is an exception. MMA allows blows to the head, BUT fights end much quicker than boxing (rare to see someone get knocked down more than 2x, allowed to finish instead of "recover").

On topic: Leather helmets are a better option, or wrestling ear protectors. Instead of minimum size, American football might end up with "maximum size" requirements. This is where science is taking the game, not some 'wussification factor'. Football can't be played without injury and concussions, but there's almost no activity that can. Everyone who cares about the game will need to be involved to make it safer. Now we are learning that brain injuries have lasting effects and can't ignore it.

Lawyers already gearing up on that front....

Link:

Head Injuries in Rugby vs. Football
https://www.brain-injury-law-center.com/blog/head-injuries-rugby-vs-football/

So there you go - Eichorst really didn't know what he was talking about requiring Banker to bring in "tackling consultants." :wow:

From the link above:

• The same Auckland University of Technology report showed American football resulting in 1.0 catastrophic incidents per every 100,000 players between 1975 and 2005. That’s more than 75% fewer incidents than the index tallied in rugby.

Last edited:
I don’t think there are any “left field facts” that blur the lines when it comes to football related head injuries. Modern medical technology is rock solid as to the CTE issue.

I have said for a long time that because of the size, speed and athletic ability of modern day players that the evolution of the game will inevitably have to change. Evidence is on firm ground regarding contact induced head injuries. As another poster stated, entry level leagues such as small fry, middle school, and high school football may well find themselves getting priced out of existence because of the financial impact of insurance.

I don’t know the answer, but necessary changes are coming on the immediate horizon.
Disagree ... was the athlete ever in a car accident?, did he play post-collegiate sports recreationally?, what was his post collegiate profession - could it have caused CTE?

My 86 year mother has dementia and Alzheimer's ... she never played football but displays similar characteristics as people with late stage CTE.

I am not saying that there is not a connection between football and CTE but to claim FOR CERTAIN that there is a direct causal link is subject to blurring of the lines.

Stick to the OP or move along
What are you talking about?

The OP is about lawsuits, and your post was about the legal intent/meanings of words in a waiver/agreement, that potentially/allegedly absolves one party from any negative consequences. I asked you if it was acceptable for someone to acknowledge an agreement, but then later try to argue the meanings of those words in order to nullify an agreement. It's a simple question, but if you are uncomfortable answering it or don't know the answer, then you can just not answer it. No need to attack me.

Last edited:

I would think this would be a long shot for the plaintiff. The article says that NCAA officials will have to testify in front of a jury what they knew about brain injuries; but this occurred over 40 years ago. No one knew about CTE back then, They were closer on the timeline to leather helmets than the helmets of today. They knew head injuries were bad, and football had evolved in an attempt to compensate using the information and technology available at that time.

They refer to a delay in making mouth guards mandatory, but wouldn’t that have to tie into the prevention of CTE somehow? I don’t think stating that the NCAA didn’t take player safety seriously because they didn’t implement a device that would not have prevented something they didn’t even know existed is a strong argument.

But then again, I’m no lawyer.

Yeah, even an intern in 1972 would be in their late 60s now. The only testimony about what the NCAA knew about brain injuries then would have to come from documentation I would think.

In any case, I don’t think this ends football as we know it. Seems like a bit of hyperbole to get clicks.

Disagree ... was the athlete ever in a car accident?, did he play post-collegiate sports recreationally?, what was his post collegiate profession - could it have caused CTE?

My 86 year mother has dementia and Alzheimer's ... she never played football but displays similar characteristics as people with late stage CTE.

I am not saying that there is not a connection between football and CTE but to claim FOR CERTAIN that there is a direct causal link is subject to blurring of the lines.

Yep. Ain't nothin' certain.

Well, death. And taxes...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back