• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked A look at the way Suh plays from a former monster of the midway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting... R White and Hampten were animals all right. He's got a point on helmet to helmit hits happen every play between linemen. You know, come to think of it. For all of Suhs personal fouls over his first two years in the NFL, has he ever been flagged for helmet to helmet, or with leading with the helmet? I don't recall one... I could be wrong, and am sure I will be corrected, but I find that amazing.

Like Ive said before, Colt McCoy said "if my biggest hits in the NFL are like Suhs ragdoll toss of me in the CCG, I will be playing when Im in my 40s".... He probably wishes Suh would have tackled him last week instead of the Steeler who knocked him out....ouch!

Last edited:
Interesting... R White and Hampton were animals all right. He's got a point on helmet to helmet hits happen every play between linemen. You know, come to think of it. For all of Suhs personal fouls over his first two years in the NFL, has he ever been flagged for helmet to helmet, or with leading with the helmet? I don't recall one... I could be wrong, and am sure I will be corrected, but I find that amazing.

Like Ive said before, Colt McCoy said "if my biggest hits in the NFL are like Suhs ragdoll toss of me in the CCG, I will be playing when Im in my 40s".... He probably wishes Suh would have tackled him last week instead of the Steeler who knocked him out....ouch!

True, but they're not getting hit from their blindside by someone who's running at them full speed, either.

A good article. I've been hearing Mike Golic say the same thing for the past several weeks. He has to stop some of the stuff if only because the cameras wil always be on him now. Sad to read Hampton say that once he got defensive player of the year, he was a marked man on the field. Everybody wants to give Suh his best shot.

Good Read...it sums up what I have been thinking and saying all season.

Bumping heads on the line and getting flattened by a 200 + pound man coming at you full speed is definitely different.
The speed added to the impact has to make a difference in concussion severity. It is complicated and depends on angles, etc,
no simple answers...everyone has a different thresh-hold for injury too, I suppose.

When I looked at this a year or so ago, it seemed like concussions were more common where the highlight-reel hits happen, like in the secondary, than on the lines. But the 70+ helmet hits a game that linemen sustain might actually do more damage in the long haul. My understanding of this is pretty limited, though.

But yeah, Suh's hits, rag doll tackles, stomping, are more like play-acting. They might occasionally become dangerous if he takes someone down by the head as he's done to a couple of QBs -- I'm not sure. But regardless, it's the helmet hits that do the real damage.

The NFL has become the "No Fun League" and I rarely watch it anymore. The protection of QBs has become overbearing. They might has well just put a set of flags on them that you pull to get them down.

Then maybe they should do away with the sport altogether?

That's the only way to eliminate concussions.

I'm just saying that everyone sees the collisions in the secondary and on a QB, but linemen (OL & DL), linebackers, and running backs take blows to the head far more often. They aren't sensationalized by SportsCenter, but they are still doing damage to the brain. But see, nobody really cares about the big, dumb right guard. He's easily replaceable.

That's the only way to eliminate concussions.

I'm just saying that everyone sees the collisions in the secondary and on a QB, but linemen (OL & DL), linebackers, and running backs take blows to the head far more often. They aren't sensationalized by SportsCenter, but they are still doing damage to the brain. But see, nobody really cares about the big, dumb right guard. He's easily replaceable.

Last part of the story:

"The over-arching point is, they are trying to make this a kinder, gentler game," Hampton said. "You know why? Because 20 years from now, the league doesn't want to be sued by every player who has been tackled and now can't remember his phone number."

Can you remember yours?

"I've got a smartphone," he said. "I don't have to."

All about the benjamins and lawsuits. The game is not the game we grew up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back