• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A legal question about FHCMR contract.

Not necessarily true. But assuming arguendo that you are correct, do you have evidence that Mike Riley entered into the contract in bad faith?
Not the contract with us but his new contract with with OSU is self evident. If the next lowst contract in P5 is well over a million and he accepts less than 1/3 of that it could be argued to be a punitive move on his part to punish his previous employer. giving an unfair advantage to his current employer who is also a competitor in the abstract of his current employer.

Not the contract with us but his new contract with with OSU is self evident. If the next lowst contract in P5 is well over a million and he accepts less than 1/3 of that it could be argued to be a punitive move on his part to punish his previous employer. giving an unfair advantage to his current employer who is also a competitor in the abstract of his current employer.
Supposedly Doc Sadler tried it at KU after he was fired here. He asked Bill Self for a $1 annual salary.

I'm pretty sure the Huskers will be paying him about $200k-$250k less than they would've if he was unemployed.

Not an attorney, however IMO I think both BP and MR were in breach of their contracts. In order to get full severance, my understanding is that both had an obligation to find a new position similar in scope and pay (of which UNL would be obligated to pay the difference, if any). MR clearly did not do that and frankly BP taking the YSU job is not, IMO "similar in scope" to the HC position at the University of Nebraska.

If it were up to me, I would have sued them both for breach of contract. I doubt DONU will do anything. It's water under the bridge, over the dam, the horse is out of barn, the bullet has been fired. We fans probably need to just let it go at this point and focus on our very bright future...

That's not bad faith.

Shhhhhh. Dude stop making so much sense..If people can not see what MR did here, then God help them. No need to argue with them. They simply can not be helped.

Last edited:

Not necessarily true. But assuming arguendo that you are correct, do you have evidence that Mike Riley entered into the contract in bad faith?
I tried not to read those posts. The first time I did, I got dummer.
His contract required him to attempt to find appropriate employment,within a reasonable amount of time,at and this is the key Fair Market wages for position taken.

I do not believe that's a path that Nebraska really wants to go. Riley is a good guy even though his coaching didn't live up to what the program had hoped.

It would be a terrible PR move on many fronts, and would be brought up if we were in a future situation where we were trying to bring in new coaches across the board, not just football.
This ^^^

And also, it may or may not be a winnable case. You still have to convince a judge and/or jury that it's bad faith. Just because a couple of posters on an anonymous fan message board don't like the circumstance doesn't make it so. You have to prove it and just the salary disparity isn't enough IMO.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Shhhhhh. Dude stop making so much sense..If people can not see what MR did here, then God help them. No need to argue with them. They simply can not be helped.
Maybe MR did and maybe he didn't. I say pick your battles. This isn't one worth tilting at.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back