• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A High School WR's Hit that at Least Equals Kenny Bell

HuskerWeatherman

Feral Cat
20 Year Member
Hutto high school ... Hutto, Texas.

Been viewed nearly 1.3 million times since Thursday night. Worth it. Turn on the volume.

:eek:

Last edited:

Not sure I would characterize it as a beautiful play...

Doesn't give any information on whether the kid was OK...

That is why I was glad when my kids gave up football... A commentary that people are attracted to that sort of thing... kind of the historical argument for auto racing and hockey... People were there to see accidents and fights...

Last edited:
Not sure I would characterize it as a beautiful play...

Doesn't give any information on whether the kid was OK...

That is why I was glad when my kids gave up football... A commentary that people are attracted to that sort of thing... kind of the historical argument for auto racing and hockey... People were there to see accidents and fights...

It looked like a good clean play so from that stand point a would say beautiful play, from the violent aspect of it, well, I hope the kid is ok.

I think that's legal, but crushingly hard, and unnecessary. That kind of violence is the allure of FB, but anymore, will cause FB to come crashing down on itself. All he really had to do was bump the defender.

You HAVE to have your head on a swivel. There's always a chance an offensive player is peeling back.

Trust me, 100% illegal according to NFHS rules. No doubt about it. Refs know this, coaches know this, players know this. It's the fans that still haven't been fully brought up to speed on the rules and points of emphasis that have been implemented over the last few years.

On average I ref about 50 games a year. I'd say 5 years ago, there would be many hits like this (albeit typically not this severe) during the course of my season. Today, I can count on one hand the number of these types of hits I see during the entire season. The rules and clinics, which the refs and coaches must attend, have definitely helped to take these types of hits out of the game. Without a doubt, the game is safer today than it has ever been.

Trust me, 100% illegal according to NFHS rules. No doubt about it. Refs know this, coaches know this, players know this. It's the fans that still haven't been fully brought up to speed on the rules and points of emphasis that have been implemented over the last few years.

On average I ref about 50 games a year. I'd say 5 years ago, there would be many hits like this (albeit typically not this severe) during the course of my season. Today, I can count on one hand the number of these types of hits I see during the entire season. The rules and clinics, which the refs and coaches must attend, have definitely helped to take these types of hits out of the game. Without a doubt, the game is safer today than it has ever been.

Apparently these guys didn't. Still hope that kid is ok.

The player on the ground didn't return to that game. He did return to school the next day (Friday).

No doubt it was brutal and unnecessary. Though the refs deemed it a legal hit.

Last edited:
Nowadays when I, or a member of my crew, flags a play like that, the coach won't even complain. They will typically say something along the lines of "I know, I know". And then they will talk to the offending player. But it's the parents and the fans that will be screaming things like "horrible call", "you're terrible ref", "great hit", "keep doing it", etc. They are slowly learning that hits like this are no longer allowed, but it's taking time.

Definitely an illegal hit, which should demand tossing the player. Sad, that some think this is acceptable...clear targeting of the head with the top of the helmet.

Last edited:

Well this is certainly interesting, I just heard on the news this kid was taken to the doctor for testing, he had a broken rib or collarbone but in the course of the examination they discovered a spot on his arm that indicated cancer that would not have been discovered had he not been blasted int he game. The kid is saying it could have saved his life and is grateful to his opponent for bringing it to his attention.:confused:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back