• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

5 Keys to Improving the Husker Football Program

I watched Tim Tebow talk about Deshaun Watson yesterday on First Take, he was talking about all the intangibles he believes in. I wish that guy was still playing football.

I caught part of the nebraska radio show while driving around tonight and some pinhead from North Platte called in and I just had to vent...figured this was as good a thread as any as he was talking about what NU SHOULD be doing.

I only caught about 30 seconds of the call but there was a lifetime of stupid and ignorance in it.

1. "Nebraska was great because we were doing what nobody else was doing...they never practiced for it!" First of all this is a myth that has been bought hook, line and sinker by a certain % of the fans. It's like if you say something enough, with enough conviction and enough group think then it just becomes an accepted fact. NU wasn't beating Iowa State, KU, KSU, Okie State, CU (don't forget...they sucked for a long time), Missou (don't forget...they weren't world beaters), etc. because "they didn't practice against NU's offense" every week. NU beat them because they were BETTER. Better players, better coaches, better facilities, better S&C, better training table. Better. From the head coach on down to the guy selling hot dogs NU was just better than most. And when they weren't...well...they struggled. How often did Miami play an option offense in the late 80s? Not often. Did they have any problem making that offense look absolutely silly to the tune of 3 points and maybe 400 yards of offense over the course of two games? Nope. Why? Because they were BETTER than NU. NU didn't struggle to beat those teams because we never saw passing in the Big 8. NU struggled because they were SLOOOOOOW. When NU changed to a defense that could fly all over the field...what happened? Uh huh....60-3.

2. Sooo...this mental midget goes on the say that because of the Myth...and that's all he knows (my words)...that NU should once again go to an offense that nobody sees week to week. OK, if I was to buy the myth then I might be interested to hear what he has to say here. Obviously he's going to mention Paul Johnson's offense or something like that. Nope. "We gotta get scott frost!" Screeeeetch! What? You mean the guy from Oregon who ran the offense that basically everyone is trying to copy and/or at least incorporate large pieces of. Just about EVERYONE wants that offense. THAT is how, if I'm to buy your b.s. theory that you have to be "different", NU is going to be different? Fail, North Platte. If you had sold me on the myth you might be able to sell me on PJ's offense. But answer me this. If being "different" is this massive advantage then why doesn't Ohio State or Florida State or Texas or Michigan go to the PJ offense? I mean if he can reach TO levels of greatness with 215 lb offensive linemen at Navy and not have to recruit QBs (just throw a RB in there) imagine what one of these recruiting powerhouses could do with that offense that would look like something from outer space to the opposition. Why don't they do it? Because it's a gimmick/junk offense. The definition of one trick pony. No plan B, no plan C and...generally when it comes up against really good competition it is often embarrassed. Anyway, if we want to be different than everyone else it might not be advisable to hire someone who is basically going to do what so many others are doing. (for the record...go ahead hire frost...he may or may not be great but it won't be because his offense is "different").

3. "They play on Tom Osborne Field. He didn't get a field named after him passing the ball." What the....

4. "This callahan/Riley stuff just won't work here. It's not in our culture." What the texas does this mean? What is in the Nebraska culture that says we have to run the ball 80% of the time? The answer is NOTHING. Honestly someone fill me in here. Traits I would say kind of fit the "nebraska culture" are hard work, honesty, integrity. Not a single one of those traits is exclusive to ground and pound offense. Not one. News flash...and don't make me pull the stats again...NU really didn't pass the ball more this year than they did with Beck calling the plays with TA at the QB spot. So where was the groundswell to run Pelini out of town for running that dang fancy pants offense that didn't fit the culture? Silent. Why? Because TO hired Pelini? That's my only guess when it comes to that crowd.

Question...when Miami was beating NU 50-3 over 2 years or when that Half assed QB at FSU was killing NU in the fiesta bowl or Bernie Kosar or Ken Dorsey....how many yards did those QB's run for? Just curious.

People in this state see one coach run an offense that isn't 80% run fail and they think "it can't be done here"? Uh huh...and if this coin turns up heads this time it will ALWAYS come up heads. "All you can get is a statue QB to run it and those guys are just target practice for DE's!" First of all that's nonsense. Again, I can only think that someone who says something like that only remembers 60-3 and what NU would do to guys like Chad May. And it wasn't because he was a statue! It was because NU was just BETTER than KSU. NU's DL whooped KSU's and subsequently put a beat down on May. NU was going to kick KSU's ass those years no matter who they had at QB or what "different" offense KSU was running. What happened when NU lost TO and instead of being ALL WORLD on defense and the Quality of the quarterbacking maybe dropped off and we didn't have guys like LP and Green at RB? 7-7. 9-3. Etc.

Pull your head out of your backside, North Platte. It's not about the style of offense. It's about the trenches. It's about the coaching. It's about the jimmies and the Joes. But mostly it's about the trenches. Get good on the DL and OL and we'll see good ball. Don't and it won't matter if we have Keithen McCant or Peyton Manning running the show.

toodles.

Last edited:
Northwest Missouri State (D2) has two guys from Nebraska on the o-line. I remember Ken Mehlin as a freshman and then starting vs FSU in 93. Just wonder if those two guys with development would be starters at Neb?

I caught part of the nebraska radio show while driving around tonight and some pinhead from North Platte called in and I just had to vent...figured this was as good a thread as any as he was talking about what NU SHOULD be doing.

I only caught about 30 seconds of the call but there was a lifetime of stupid and ignorance in it.

1. "Nebraska was great because we were doing what nobody else was doing...they never practiced for it!" First of all this is a myth that has been bought hook, line and sinker by a certain % of the fans. It's like if you say something enough, with enough conviction and enough group think then it just becomes an accepted fact. NU wasn't beating Iowa State, KU, KSU, Okie State, CU (don't forget...they sucked for a long time), Missou (don't forget...they weren't world beaters), etc. because "they didn't practice against NU's offense" every week. NU beat them because they were BETTER. Better players, better coaches, better facilities, better S&C, better training table. Better. From the head coach on down to the guy selling hot dogs NU was just better than most. And when they weren't...well...they struggled. How often did Miami play an option offense in the late 80s? Not often. Did they have any problem making that offense look absolutely silly to the tune of 3 points and maybe 400 yards of offense over the course of two games? Nope. Why? Because they were BETTER than NU. NU didn't struggle to beat those teams because we never saw passing in the Big 8. NU struggled because they were SLOOOOOOW. When NU changed to a defense that could fly all over the field...what happened? Uh huh....60-3.

2. Sooo...this mental midget goes on the say that because of the Myth...and that's all he knows (my words)...that NU should once again go to an offense that nobody sees week to week. OK, if I was to buy the myth then I might be interested to hear what he has to say here. Obviously he's going to mention Paul Johnson's offense or something like that. Nope. "We gotta get scott frost!" Screeeeetch! What? You mean the guy from Oregon who ran the offense that basically everyone is trying to copy and/or at least incorporate large pieces of. Just about EVERYONE wants that offense. THAT is how, if I'm to buy your b.s. theory that you have to be "different", NU is going to be different? Fail, North Platte. If you had sold me on the myth you might be able to sell me on PJ's offense. But answer me this. If being "different" is this massive advantage then why doesn't Ohio State or Florida State or Texas or Michigan go to the PJ offense? I mean if he can reach TO levels of greatness with 215 lb offensive linemen at Navy and not have to recruit QBs (just throw a RB in there) imagine what one of these recruiting powerhouses could do with that offense that would look like something from outer space to the opposition. Why don't they do it? Because it's a gimmick/junk offense. The definition of one trick pony. No plan B, no plan C and...generally when it comes up against really good competition it is often embarrassed. Anyway, if we want to be different than everyone else it might not be advisable to hire someone who is basically going to do what so many others are doing. (for the record...go ahead hire frost...he may or may not be great but it won't be because his offense is "different").

3. "They play on Tom Osborne Field. He didn't get a field named after him passing the ball." What the....

4. "This callahan/Riley stuff just won't work here. It's not in our culture." What the texas does this mean? What is in the Nebraska culture that says we have to run the ball 80% of the time? The answer is NOTHING. Honestly someone fill me in here. Traits I would say kind of fit the "nebraska culture" are hard work, honesty, integrity. Not a single one of those traits is exclusive to ground and pound offense. Not one. News flash...and don't make me pull the stats again...NU really didn't pass the ball more this year than they did with Beck calling the plays with TA at the QB spot. So where was the groundswell to run Pelini out of town for running that dang fancy pants offense that didn't fit the culture? Silent. Why? Because TO hired Pelini? That's my only guess when it comes to that crowd.

Question...when Miami was beating NU 50-3 over 2 years or when that Half assed QB at FSU was killing NU in the fiesta bowl or Bernie Kosar or Ken Dorsey....how many yards did those QB's run for? Just curious.

People in this state see one coach run an offense that isn't 80% run fail and they think "it can't be done here"? Uh huh...and if this coin turns up heads this time it will ALWAYS come up heads. "All you can get is a statue QB to run it and those guys are just target practice for DE's!" First of all that's nonsense. Again, I can only think that someone who says something like that only remembers 60-3 and what NU would do to guys like Chad May. And it wasn't because he was a statue! It was because NU was just BETTER than KSU. NU's DL whooped KSU's and subsequently put a beat down on May. NU was going to kick KSU's ass those years no matter who they had at QB or what "different" offense KSU was running. What happened when NU lost TO and instead of being ALL WORLD on defense and the Quality of the quarterbacking maybe dropped off and we didn't have guys like LP and Green at RB? 7-7. 9-3. Etc.

Pull your head out of your backside, North Platte. It's not about the style of offense. It's about the trenches. It's about the coaching. It's about the jimmies and the Joes. But mostly it's about the trenches. Get good on the DL and OL and we'll see good ball. Don't and it won't matter if we have Keithen McCant or Peyton Manning running the show.

toodles.

Great post. If that offense were such a great talent equalizer, a lot more teams would be using it. Frank Solich doesn't even run it for crying out loud. He basically runs a balanced offense with a 2016 average of 32 passes and 38 runs per game. Even if Riley flips that on its head, we are talking about a half dozen plays. 6 more passing plays and apparently NU's offense becomes "finesse." I also laugh when I hear fans clamoring for Nebraska to be more "physical." It's a fine goal but is there a team out there, regardless of offensive system, looking to get pushed around? Every team wants to be more physical, including Cal, T Tech and Washington St.

I think it's comforting for fans to believe that Tom's success was basically a cook book recipe. Thinking of it that way means all NU has to do is find a coach willing to to follow the recipe. In reality, it was the cook. I'd be all-in on running Tom's system if we can bring back 1997 Tom Osborne. Without him coaching and recruiting to that system, it's nothing special. If it were, Frank and Turner would still be running it.

Another Osborne myth is that he took a bunch of no-talent Nebraska farm kids who could barely walk 5 yards without tripping and turned them into all-Americans. I feel pretty confident that Ahman Green, Scott Frost, Eric Crouch, and Zach Weigert had some athleticism before they showed up in Lincoln.

If there is one thing Tom did that is easily repeatable, it's offering more local kids. His classes routinely had at least 5 Nebraskans. I'd take a Nebraska project over a 5.5 kid from Louisiana all day. That said, it's easier said than done these days - there is tons of pressure to have highly ranked classes and local kids don't do a coach any favors on that front.

Last edited:
I definitely don't like it when I see Nebraska boys go out of state to teams, although that's a smaller school you're talking about.

As far as running the old school offense or running the ball most of the time, we are going to see real quick if a passing offense that's reliant on talent at skill positions can work in Lincoln. That's exactly what Riley likes to run and seeing how things develop over the next couple of years will be fun to watch. I personally hope it does work, but I do have my doubts at the moment. Getting some more big time commits at the receiver position sure would help.

I definitely don't like it when I see Nebraska boys go out of state to teams, although that's a smaller school you're talking about.

As far as running the old school offense or running the ball most of the time, we are going to see real quick if a passing offense that's reliant on talent at skill positions can work in Lincoln. That's exactly what Riley likes to run and seeing how things develop over the next couple of years will be fun to watch. I personally hope it does work, but I do have my doubts at the moment. Getting some more big time commits at the receiver position sure would help.
I will just add that if Riley DOESN'T work out in Lincoln it does not necessarily mean that an offense similar to what he runs may not work. It means HE failed. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I will just add that if Riley DOESN'T work out in Lincoln it does not necessarily mean that an offense similar to what he runs may not work. It means HE failed. Nothing more. Nothing less.
You are right to a certain extent. But people will definitely associate that type of offense's ability to succeed in Lincoln with how successful Riley is or is not.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back