• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 * WR Dez Fitzpatrick chooses Louisville (his dad responds to NU fans on twitter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some one seriously needs to take a :chillpill: Pill.... It was never our decision or more specifically, yours. I personally hope he has a great career, it shows that our coaches saw a good thing. He was surely not "obligated" to pick Nebraska because we recruited him heavily, jeez man...
Cool man.

That kid owes NU nothing. Especially doesn't OWE them simply because we recruited him longer. He sat down with Riley, heard what he had to say was open to listening to his pitch. Clemson offered and he did the same thing with Dabo... Dabo (or Venables) pitch to him was the better one in his eyes and he went in that direction.
Sorry, I don't agree. Fair to say we're on opposite ends here. No point in arguing about it. It's all good. Quite honestly, I could care less, my day will go on as usual.

So...Engelhaupt is even worse then, because he flipped to a better option for himself last minute? Simmons wasn't committed anywhere. Clemson came along and he fell in love with that opportunity.
Things are what they are. I believe what I believe, you, what you believe. Bet your ass though, if it was my son, he isn't pulling that garbage, period.

We've all seen your multiple posts about closing or, more specifically, MR's lack of closing ability. I saw your post in another thread where you said you are in the snow removal business. Have you ever been in sales?

To the bolded I wouldn't call it "a lack" I think he is a good overall recruiter: He/staff appear GREAT at making the pitch, gaining initial interest from the recruit and keeping interest (enough to visit, take in home visits from him etc), but at times with some of the guys that they were heavily invested in it seems that NU was just missing something I suppose (Not even to the coaches fault in instances). Ultimately is what I am trying to say is with a lot of the names I have mentioned previously that had NU 2nd on their list behind who they committed to they liked NU ENOUGH to have interest... but not ENOUGH to ever actually pull the trigger and commit. So my intitial post that questioned Rileys closing ability basically is just me wondering why is that? IMO a great closer is a person that just has that knack of finding or saying the right things to push that interested (but hesitant) consumer/ recruit over the top and to "buy" the product or commit. Maybe I am way wrong and Riley is amazing at closing, but these kids are just scared off by the losing record a season ago. However, I it is important to mention that it then becomes the responsibility of the person doing the selling to convince the recruit that last year was just adjustments and not the norm (and he did this with Farniok, Jackson, POB etc and for that I do give him credit)

For the record, never specifically in Sales... but that to me at least is what recruiting is: Selling your program and your scheme/knowledge as a coach and getting the kids to buy what you are selling.

Sorry for ranting yesterday all (Will gladly admit I did- it is becoming frustrating to see us SO CLOSE on SO MANY of these kids just to watch them go elsewhere - I for one was really high on both Dez and Isaiah in terms of having a significant future impact, especially Simmons). But I want to end repeating this and would love for some to share their (civil) insights on what they feel the reasoning was (in general)... A lot of recruits that the staff spent a lot of time on were interested enough to listen (and many times keep listening for a long time, supposdly knowing all that NU offered them), but when push came to shove were not interested enough to actually pull the trigger and give the commit. So I am simply asking what some other opinions are on the matter.

For the record, never specifically in Sales... but that to me at least is what recruiting is: Selling your program and your scheme/knowledge as a coach and getting the kids to buy what you are selling.

If you had sales experience you'd know that in most fields you usually lose more than you win...even if you are a great closer.

Fair enough. Right to your opinion.
Having watched the give and take of the last few days, that is very gracious of you considering there is quit a few posters on here that will not grant you the same consideration. It appears to me, at least according to them, that your opinion is wrong and theirs is fact. ;)

The concept that an opinion is neither right nor wrong (an amoral judgement that may or may not be based on fact) escapes them.

Incidentally, I happen to agree with some of the opinions you hold and disagree with others. I have pretty much given up posting anything that can be construed as criticism because a lot of folk seem to favor conflict over substance. And that is my opinion! :)

Last edited:
To the bolded I wouldn't call it "a lack" I think he is a good overall recruiter: He/staff appear GREAT at making the pitch, gaining initial interest from the recruit and keeping interest (enough to visit, take in home visits from him etc), but at times with some of the guys that they were heavily invested in it seems that NU was just missing something I suppose (Not even to the coaches fault in instances). Ultimately is what I am trying to say is with a lot of the names I have mentioned previously that had NU 2nd on their list behind who they committed to they liked NU ENOUGH to have interest... but not ENOUGH to ever actually pull the trigger and commit. So my intitial post that questioned Rileys closing ability basically is just me wondering why is that? IMO a great closer is a person that just has that knack of finding or saying the right things to push that interested (but hesitant) consumer/ recruit over the top and to "buy" the product or commit. Maybe I am way wrong and Riley is amazing at closing, but these kids are just scared off by the losing record a season ago. However, I it is important to mention that it then becomes the responsibility of the person doing the selling to convince the recruit that last year was just adjustments and not the norm (and he did this with Farniok, Jackson, POB etc and for that I do give him credit)

Sorry for ranting yesterday all (Will gladly admit I did- it is becoming frustrating to see us SO CLOSE on SO MANY of these kids just to watch them go elsewhere - I for one was really high on both Dez and Isaiah in terms of having a significant future impact, especially Simmons). But I want to end repeating this and would love for some to share their (civil) insights on what they feel the reasoning was (in general)... A lot of recruits that the staff spent a lot of time on were interested enough to listen (and many times keep listening for a long time, supposdly knowing all that NU offered them), but when push came to shove were not interested enough to actually pull the trigger and give the commit. So I am simply asking what some other opinions are on the matter.

If it is any consolation I am with you 100%. After the class is finished I will post a synopsis of the last two years. Here are some numbers that will baffle us. Second lowest amount of 4* or higher players over a two year period. Lowest amount of 5.7 players over a two year period. Lowest two year average in ranking (likely that we will be out of the top 25 two consecutive years when other teams move up).

Meanwhile our competition is hitting up 10+ 4* players. Development trumps recruiting, but recruiting is where you start. It is hard for me to fathom that a guy with no head coaching experience, was out recruiting a guy with almost 20 years of HC experience. So far, in two years HCMR and staff have brought in :drumroll please: 4 4* or better players. (Subtracting those that Bo recruited). That would be the lowest ever at Nebraska.

If it is any consolation I am with you 100%. After the class is finished I will post a synopsis of the last two years. Here are some numbers that will baffle us. Second lowest amount of 4* or higher players over a two year period. Lowest amount of 5.7 players over a two year period. Lowest two year average in ranking (likely that we will be out of the top 25 two consecutive years when other teams move up).

Meanwhile our competition is hitting up 10+ 4* players. Development trumps recruiting, but recruiting is where you start. It is hard for me to fathom that a guy with no head coaching experience, was out recruiting a guy with almost 20 years of HC experience. So far, in two years HCMR and staff have brought in :drumroll please: 4 4* or better players. (Subtracting those that Bo recruited). That would be the lowest ever at Nebraska.

I'm sure it will be a very balanced and unbiased review ;)

I can guarantee you exactly nobody is intersted in your review. Yea, it will get some response because you are entirely likely to make a mostly ignorant post. But trust me...nobody cares about your synopsis

Last edited:
I'm sure it will be a very balanced and unbiased review ;)

Eh I am not that concerned about it. I think we are not recruiting as well as others thing we are, but I think it is ok. We are definitely not recruiting as well as we have in the past, but keeping these players and not having all of them leave the team can go a long way. So I am not all doom and gloom, but HCMR and his staff are not winning the recruiting battles they should be.

I can guarantee you exactly nobody is I Teresa ed in your review. Yea, it will get some response because you are entirely likely to make a mostly ignorant post. But trust me...nobody cares about your synopsis

You cared enough to reply to a summary of it. It seemed to bother you even though what put out was simply some numbers. I guess you count as nobody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back