• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

4 Star WR Demariyon Houston Will Announce His School On NSD At 10AM

I love your quick response with a great example. Thank you for being my teacher today.
I'm totally going to get banned from the thread for derailing it, but thank you for the kind words. My profile banner just kicked over to 5 year member today... I'm feeling pretty good about my investment in HuskerMax (at the moment :p)

If you dropped a metric tonne of bricks (or feathers or banjos) from 11 meters, you would have the same impact (110 kJoules). So... yes?

I'm not a physics expert by any means and more than happy to admit if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that the impact (kinetic energy) is correct. I believe mass is a component of that impact/energy. Also, a feather would fall at the same rate if in a vacuum where other conditions (ie wind) do not interfere with it free falling.

I'm not a physics expert by any means and more than happy to admit if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that the impact (kinetic energy) is correct. I believe mass is a component of that impact/energy. Also, a feather would fall at the same rate if in a vacuum where other conditions (ie wind) do not interfere with it free falling.
Yup, since I originally stated that it wasn't a vacuum (terminal velocity) and I was in a hurry I didn't mention "feathers in a container" or banjos without yokels attached. :p

Joule = work (energy transferred) = kg * m2 / s2. Mass * distance * acceleration is how I think of it. And I'm really done this time before being banninated. How about that fine athlete Demariyon Houston?

This has to qualify for the funniest/inventive/thoughtful post of the year (and the year is still young. So it might be supplanted but I doubt it)

I dismissed it as he didn't provide details on body position adjustment for terminal velocity. Are we talking nose dive, X wing shaped, or freaked out limbs flailing? Too many assumptions for me. ;)

If he joins us, we will have so many guys with breakaway speed on this team that I would like the top 6-7 speedsters get on the track and find who beats whom in the 100m.

So is Houston the last non-transfer gasp at salvaging this underwhelming end of the recruiting cycle?

If you dropped a metric tonne of bricks (or feathers or banjos) from 11 meters, you would have the same impact (110 kJoules). So... yes?

I am not trying to be a jerk but you are incorrect. You failed to qualify your hypothesis by making it clear that for your statement to be true the drop test must be performed in a vacuum. Otherwise the bricks higher specific gravity will cause the bricks to see a force vector from air resistance significantly lower than the feathers causing the bricks to win the race and impact the earth with higher kinetic energy (all else held constant). Just sayin.........

Last edited:

I am not trying to be a jerk but you are incorrect. You failed to qualify your hypothesis by making it clear that for your statement to be true the drop test must be performed in a vacuum. Otherwise the bricks higher specific gravity will cause the bricks to see a force vector from air resistance significantly lower than the feathers causing the bricks to win the race and impact the earth with higher kinetic energy (all else held constant). Just sayin.........
Right on. Here is a simple example

Think about dropping a ton of bricks and a ton of bricks with a parachute. They dont have the same impact.

So is Houston the last non-transfer gasp at salvaging this underwhelming end of the recruiting cycle?
Let's hope we don't have to have this for dinner.
big_goose_egg_games_postcard-reaf3f877bf9e41249bde4f4b03bb130c_vgbaq_8byvr_540.jpg

I dismissed it as he didn't provide details on body position adjustment for terminal velocity. Are we talking nose dive, X wing shaped, or freaked out limbs flailing? Too many assumptions for me. ;)
Pretty sure he was grabbing his ankles.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back