1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

4 Star WR Demariyon Houston Will Announce His School On NSD At 10AM

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Red Reign, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Farmer Jake

Farmer Jake Recruit

Was Rathman even that Rathman like?

2. HuSkaBob

HuSkaBob Husker Geek 5 Year Member

If you dropped a metric tonne of bricks (or feathers or banjos) from 11 meters, you would have the same impact (110 kJoules). So... yes?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Farmer Jake likes this.
  3. Farmer Jake

Farmer Jake Recruit

I love your quick response with a great example. Thank you for being my teacher today.

HuSkaBob likes this.
  4. HuSkaBob

I'm totally going to get banned from the thread for derailing it, but thank you for the kind words. My profile banner just kicked over to 5 year member today... I'm feeling pretty good about my investment in HuskerMax (at the moment :p)

Farmer Jake likes this.
  5. 2legit2quit

2legit2quit Recruit 2 Year Member

I'm not a physics expert by any means and more than happy to admit if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that the impact (kinetic energy) is correct. I believe mass is a component of that impact/energy. Also, a feather would fall at the same rate if in a vacuum where other conditions (ie wind) do not interfere with it free falling.

6. HuSkaBob

Yup, since I originally stated that it wasn't a vacuum (terminal velocity) and I was in a hurry I didn't mention "feathers in a container" or banjos without yokels attached. :p

Joule = work (energy transferred) = kg * m2 / s2. Mass * distance * acceleration is how I think of it. And I'm really done this time before being banninated. How about that fine athlete Demariyon Houston?

7. Native

Native ToungeInCheek since 2010 5 Year Member

I dismissed it as he didn't provide details on body position adjustment for terminal velocity. Are we talking nose dive, X wing shaped, or freaked out limbs flailing? Too many assumptions for me. ;)

HuSkaBob likes this.
  8. One Man Jury

One Man Jury Red Shirt 5 Year Member

If he joins us, we will have so many guys with breakaway speed on this team that I would like the top 6-7 speedsters get on the track and find who beats whom in the 100m.

9. ColoREDo

ColoREDo REDo posts matter!!! 10 Year Member

So is Houston the last non-transfer gasp at salvaging this underwhelming end of the recruiting cycle?

36Blast likes this.
  10. BubbaGene

BubbaGene Tuff Schist 10 Year Member

Dang you, REDo...

ColoREDo likes this.
  11. ColoREDo

ColoREDo REDo posts matter!!! 10 Year Member

:D

12. 1960Husker

1960Husker Recruit

I am not trying to be a jerk but you are incorrect. You failed to qualify your hypothesis by making it clear that for your statement to be true the drop test must be performed in a vacuum. Otherwise the bricks higher specific gravity will cause the bricks to see a force vector from air resistance significantly lower than the feathers causing the bricks to win the race and impact the earth with higher kinetic energy (all else held constant). Just sayin.........

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  13. RedRum

RedRum Varsity 5 Year Member

Right on. Here is a simple example

Think about dropping a ton of bricks and a ton of bricks with a parachute. They dont have the same impact.

14. Blue Howl

Blue Howl Drink up, Shriner! 5 Year Member

Let's hope we don't have to have this for dinner.
    [​IMG]

15. Discoverer27

Discoverer27 Red Shirt 2 Year Member

Pretty sure he was grabbing his ankles.