• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 3 year recruiting revisited - Where are we now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerInOkieland

Heisman
15 Year Member
Every year I do a 3 year recruiting thread and sometime in the spring or fall, I do a detailed breakdown of each position group. Given the changes currently being made, I thought it a good idea to do a bit of an update on where I feel we are at each position.

Before we start, here are some guidelines. I don’t know who is staying/going/whatever—for the most part, I am not assuming any transfers.

I don’t know Scott Frost’s philosophies per se, I am just taking some educated guesses as to what he MIGHT do. Please bear with me on that one.

This thread is not to discuss how good or bad the previous or incoming staff is at recruiting, development, etc. It is merely an attempt to access where we are right now as objectively as is possible. Of course, I do express some opinions when I feel appropriate—I promise that I will TRY to express my opinions as such.

I’ll start with the offense first and come back for the defense later. Okay, let’s go.

QB

The most obvious question on the minds of most fans is what is going to happen here? Is there a QB on the roster the fits Scott Frost’s system? Can Scott Frost adjust his system to the talents of the existing QB’s? How fast can Scott Frost get HIS QB in position to not only run his system, but run it well?

To be honest, at first glance I was a bit skeptical of this marriage of SF and our current QB’s. I have been asking anyone I know that I trust if there is any hope here. Are we doomed to watch another couple of years of round-peg square-hole quarterbacking like we saw with Riley and Armstrong?

What I have been told is that Frost likes a mobile QB. The key here is QB—not glorified RB. Frost likes to throw the football. But his offense is at his best when the threat of the QB run is in the minds of the defense. At first glance, things don’t look so rosy. Lee isn’t much of a runner. If Lee is Frost’s QB next year, Frost will likely have to alter his offense quite a bit to fit what Lee does. Can he do that? Or is Lee better off going pro even though I believe he could use another year in college refining his game. Personally, I don’t think this is a good fit.

Now, it is my opinion that Tristan Gebbia is a potential superstar at QB. I would hate to have him leave because of our change in offense. Is this a potential fit—not only for next year but for the future as well? After asking around, I have heard encouraging opinions. There are those that think that Gebbia is mobile enough to at least be a threat to run—he was an effective runner in HS. With all of Gebbia’s other intangibles, there is a good enough fit here that Gebbia could be successful in Frost’s system. It has also been pointed out that Frost has actually recruited some pro-style QB’s so it is likely that he is not averse to tweaking his system a bit. If Gebbia is the real deal (you never know until you see it on the field), he may turn out to be THE guy for Scott Frost that makes the offense go.

That leaves Patrick O’Brien. If we believe Gebbia is mobile enough to be a threat to run at least occasionally, then I see no reason not to believe the same of O’Brien. Of course, I could be wrong here. In his limited action in 2017, O’Brien did show the ability to make plays with his legs. He’s a good kid and a good looking QB.

Of course, this is the one position where fans will be watching for any attrition. QB’s tend to bolt when things don’t go their way. That is simply reality. QB depth could be a real issue even if Frost successfully tweaks and matches his system to one of the current QB’s.

FINAL TAKE: Frost will likely try to bring in HIS style of QB ASAP. Not just to take over the reins, but to build needed depth. He cannot afford to wait until 2019 to bring in his QB. Always remember that even a great QB prospect may not be ready to take over right away. There is some talk that he could go JUCO here—the name Terry Wilson ring a bell? But the reality is, if none of the QB’s on the roster (particularly POB and Gebbia) are a good fit, the transition to Frost’s system could be a long, painful one as it may take some time for outside help to arrive. If Gebbia or POB can be as good as their billing suggests, maybe there won’t be a transition at all.

RB

Not really sure what we have here. Of course, we have felt that way for quite awhile now. Tre Bryant looked great for about 7 quarters of the season before going down with a knee injury. What is his status going forward? Can he come back to the level of play he showed before the injury? If so, can he stay healthy or will he always be a health risk?

If Bryant comes back strong, the RB room takes on a completely different look. But let’s just imagine that he doesn’t come back strong. What then? I think it is obvious by now that although Mikale Wilbon and Devine Ozigbo are decent useful backs, neither has proven to be THE guy in the opportunities that they have had. True, Ozigbo did have a couple of 100 yard performances in 2017 however, he is likely one of those guys we have been hearing about in reference to discipline. He has had major issues there. That would leave Jaylin Bradley. Sadly enough, Bradley was just starting to make a move for more serious playing time when an injury derailed his season. There are many fans who love Bradley and think he is the next 1500 yard rusher at NU (forget 1,000, at NU our standard starts at about 1,500). Bradley was reported to be struggling a bit with the finer points of RB (picking up blitzes, that sort of thing) but that is not unusual for a freshman RB. What does everybody think? Could Bradley be THE guy?

Lurking in the background is walk-on Wyatt Mazour who probably would have been given a chance to perform in 2017 had an injury not ruined his season. If healthy, he could be an interesting guy. Another walk-on Austin Rose isn’t bad either and can play either the “I” or fullback.

Speaking of fullback, Ben Miles comes off his redshirt year and it will be interesting how Frost uses him. I like this guy’s versatility and was shocked that he redshirted last year.

FINAL TAKE: Skip RB this year? Ah, are you kidding? RB should be one of Frost’s first priorities. He doesn’t need a useful back (roster full of those), he needs to recruit a stud. ‘Nuff said.

OL

Okay, one of the elephants in the room. It doesn’t matter what system you run, if your OL can’t block, you’re doomed. I think all Husker fans understand that. Last year’s OL was remarkably awful. In fact, the last year and a half, I am not sure I have ever seen so many defenders flying free to the ball carriers in the backfield. This usually points to communication as much as anything. Somewhere in 2016, I think opposing DCs figured out that if you do ANYTHING to confuse our OL, our OL became helpless. To me, this points to the center play. Dylan Utter and Cole Conrad were brutal in terms of making line calls. Looking back at just last year, we could actually see a noticeable upgrade in our line play when Michael Decker took over at center. Suddenly, our OL started to show promise. Ozigbo had a couple of 100 yard games. Lee stopped throwing interceptions. Maybe we were on to something.

Then Decker got hurt and we were back to the same awful, helpless line play we had seen early in the season—not that we were sensational with Decker. To me, there were three serious problems with the line last year, center play was the #1 issue in my mind. So can Decker stay healthy? Teammates marveled at his intelligence and abilities to see the defense and make the right line call. He needs to stay healthy because Cole Conrad is a decent player—but he is NOT a center. That experiment was a complete disaster.

So if Decker still struggles with injuries, who else is there? John Raridon wasn’t physically ready in 2017, but perhaps a good offseason of weight training will help him reach his considerable potential at either guard or center. I still think Boe Wilson makes a world of sense at center. And of course, we have recruited a center this year, Will Farniok who has said he is solid with change of coaches.

To me the second issue is something I have been harping on for years and years. Why can’t we recruit tackles? When I say tackles, I am not talking about tackles who move inside to guard (see Matt Farniok) and I am not talking about recruiting Right Tackles and hoping they can be adequate at LT.

In the NFL, LT’s are some of the highest paid players in the league. At Nebraska, we act like we can stick any quick guard at tackle and we’ll be “okay.” Right now we are still a bit short on tackles and that is with a true freshman playing RT last year. Brenden Jaimes may be the only true LT on our roster, but he is playing RT because we moved Nick Gates, a player who excelled at RT, to LT where he has struggled. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings if we switched the two around next year. But either way, we are okay at tackle as long as NO ONE GETS HURT. How often does that happen?

What else do we have? Perhaps Matt Farniok. The previous staff loved him a guard so it will be interesting to see if Frost’s staff agrees. I think Farniok could play both so this could be interesting. Christian Gaylord strikes me as a guy who just isn’t going to be able to get enough meat on his frame to be a factor. I could be wrong but Gaylord was never really seriously mentioned last year in spite of all of our injuries. The next two guys are redshirt freshmen of considerable potential—Matt Sichterman and Chris Walker. Another option should be Cole Conrad who has proven to be adequate at the position.

Guard is a position that baffles me a bit. We seem to have solid players there, but the production doesn’t seem to match the hype. Gerald Foster and Tanner Farmer are two year starters who just have never really taken that next step for whatever reasons. Matt Farniok seemed to have passed Farmer last year and Boe Wilson has may also be a factor if he doesn’t help out at center. The same could be said for John Raridon. Even Cole Conrad could help out here in a pinch. Jalin Barnett has plenty of potential but can’t get his weight in line. Bryan Brokup was practically a no show last year. Meanwhile Broc Bando comes off his redshirt year next year and could be a nice player somewhere down the line.

FINAL TAKE: The center position has been a point of angst for years at Nebraska. Fans have moaned the fate of the position for years. We have a verbal at the position and some talent on the roster. Player development is paramount here. At tackle, the numbers aren’t too shabby at RT but LT is a bit of a concern after Jaimes and Gates (who leaves after next year). A true LT should be a priority. NOTE: The tackle numbers could be affected if Chris Walker moves to DL. At guard, just find the right combination—there is some clay to work with here. I wasn’t really thrilled with the OL recruiting this year from the old staff so a fresh approach may be just the shot in the arm we need. Don’t be surprised if Frost looks for a JUCO here (as Riley did as well).

TE

You may have noticed in my OL discussion I mentioned three main issues but only discussed two of them. Well, #3 was the TE group. YIKES!

The blocking from the TE’s last year was practically non-existent. What was sad was that Riley used two TE sets much of the time and the results often simply meant we were short one receiver running a route. Our two walk-on senior TE’s were as bad as you would expect from two walk-ons who had never played a key down of football entering their final season. Hoppes was a fine receiver but not a blocker. Ketter? . . . I don’t know what to say.

Luckily, there is some talent on the way here. Late in the year, Jack Stoll emerged as a decent receiver and probably will be first in line for the starting job next year. The good news here is that Stoll was known more for his blocking than his receiving skills coming out of HS so perhaps we have a good one. Another TE who saw the field a bit in 2017 was Matt Snyder but he didn’t seem ready to make an impact. Optimism for the position likely rests with sophomore Stoll and a trio of young TE’s. Sophomore David Engelhaupt is an interesting guy who can really move. I was half expecting him to contribute in 2017 however that never occurred. Spring will be really important for him. He is a lanky player so adding some solid weight is probably his off-season goal. There are two freshmen to keep an eye on—not difficult given their massive size—6-8 Austin Allen and 6-7 Kurt Rafdal.

FINAL TAKE: I like the young talent here but obviously, we need to see some quick development from at least a couple of these guys. Fans tend to look at receiving and forget that the TEs are also an extension of the OL. I think there are some receivers here, but who can step in and provide solid blocking in two or three TE sets? Recruiting wise, we have a solid commit from Cameron Jurgens, although some like him more for the defensive side of the ball. It would be interesting to see how aggressively Frost recruits another TE in this class. I am also curious if he sees Jurgens as a TE or a LB. We just need to keep adding talent and develop, develop, develop.

WR

Such a frustrating position. We have been seemingly on the verge of an earth-shaking influx of talent at this position for years now only to be disappointed time and again. Some weird . . . stuff (substitute your own expletive here) has happened to us at this position. I don’t want to restate all of the issues but this year might be no different. Once again, we appeared to be on the verge of cherry-picking some of the best talent in the nation at this position only to have our 4-8 season cast a major cloud over the class. So many of our recruits love our WR coach and fans wonder if he is going to be retained. If he is not retained, what will happen to our WR class?

Let’s look at what we have. We have Stanley Morgan fresh off of a record setting season. What is remarkable about the season is that he missed a full game and suffered through a mind-boggling series of dropped passes (perhaps somewhat due to his injuries). But will Morgan come back next year? Some people think he will leave however, I think he could use one more season. If he comes back, we are in great shape at the top of the board next year as J.D. Spielman is coming off a record setting freshman season of his own. Speilman was simply sensational last year but injuries curtailed some of his production in the second half. With Morgan, NU would have a tandem of WR’s no Big Ten team could match. Without Morgan, the WR room is on scramble alert.

Next up would be Tyjon Lindsey, coming off a ho-hum freshman year. There are those who think he may transfer. If he is thinking of it, hopefully Scott Frost can sit the young man down and talk to him. Lindsey has considerable potential—not sure why he wouldn’t want to stay to play in a Scott Frost offense.

Things start to drop off pretty sharply at this point in terms of proven production. The graduation of Pierson-El will be felt. It now appears that wayward Keyshawn Johnson Jr. will make his return to the Husker team this spring. The word is that his attitude has really improved and he has made tremendous strides reshaping his body. He has genetics and talent on his side, but how much can we really count on him in 2018? He may need some time to complete his adjustment to college life. The forgotten man in the room to me is Jaevon McQuitty. Remember him? He’s still here. After working his way into the rotation for the 2017 season, McQuitty suffered a season ending injury and took a redshirt. If healthy, I love this guy’s potential.

What’s left on the roster at this point are a number of useful players who have played or flashed some potential. Somewhere in the group of Keyan Williams, Bryan Reimers, and Conor Young, there might be a contribution here or there. Kade Warner should also be back from injury and who knows, could be a surprise. I also like young walk-on Christian Banker.

FINAL TAKE: If everyone stays, there is some excellent top end talent here and maybe enough pieces to scrap together a decent group of backups—provided of course the injury bug doesn’t rear its ugly but all too familiar head again. If Morgan goes (and Lindsey transfers), then open auditions start in the spring and continue right into the fall. It is paramount that Frost either hold on to the current class of verbals and players rumored to have been leaning to Nebraska OR recruit some top end talent of his own. Retaining Keith Williams would probably go a long ways in bringing in the original class but Frost may decide to go with a fresh start. Our current board sits with Joshua Moore and Cameron Brown as verbals.

Some names we appear to be in on are Tommy Bush, Jacob Copeland, and athlete Bryan Addison. This is not a complete list but all three players have commented that they are still interested in NU since Frost being the new coach.

A JUCO is not out of the question here. One thing that Scott Frost has on his side, he can sell playing time and immediate opportunity for both 2017 and 2018.

OFFENSE-FINAL TAKE: All in all, not bad. There are some fit issues here but for a 4-8 team that failed to produce a 500 yard rusher, had a shortage of WRs, scrambled to put an offensive line together, and QB’s that threw 17 interceptions . . . the talent level is not bad. The QB situation is the first item. Even if Lee comes back, he isn’t guaranteed to be the starter or even second string. Spring camp should be exciting. Next item is get the OL straightened out and patch together a WR and TE corp.

Given Scott Frost’s offensive talents, the transition on offense may not be so bad with a little bit of luck. Now defensively . . . oye, that’s a different story.

Defense to come in second post.

Last edited:

Okay, now a look at the defense. Cue: Do I have to?

This is going to be a hard group to evaluate with all the issues with injuries and given the fact that everything went wrong last year and the wheels came completely off. Defense is so dependent upon 11 guys all doing their jobs that when things go wrong the simple question always is . . . Is the problem the “sum of the parts” or the “whole?” When things are going wrong, it is hard for a player to keep doing his job and his assignments when the other team is scoring touchdowns right and left. It’s only natural for the player to try to “cheat” to try to make a big play and that leads to even more breakdowns. After a while, what you have is a complete mess. It’s one thing to give up 50 points to Ohio State with 3 safeties out. In fact, it is predictable. Ohio State put 50 points up on a lot of teams. Penn State? . . . okay, I’ll buy it. But it is another to get boat-raced by Minnesota and Iowa. There really is no explanation for that.

But there is one major issue the new coaches will need to address regardless of talent, tackling ability, etc. Think of this. We sacked the QB 14 times last year. We also had 14 QBH’s. That means we inconvenienced the other teams QB a grand total of 28 times last year—all year. For Tanner Lee, that was almost a two game average much of the year.

Now let’s look at the talent at each position.

DL

I start with the position group I am the least sure of. Over all, I like the talent in this group. However, I admit I am not an expert on the prototype for 3-4 DE’s. I’m not sure what we have here. I feel pretty comfortable with the NT position. Mick Stoltenberg is certainly a big guy in the middle who can tie up multiple linemen. Deontre Thomas looks like he is a keeper and is versatile enough to move outside when needed. Don’t forget Damion Daniels is coming off a redshirt season and we have a solid verbal commitment from Masry Mapieu. And given that Khalil Davis can play about anywhere on the line—we seem pretty well stocked at this position. In fact, maybe even an embarrassment of riches if the young guys pan out. Now there are times when we show a 4-3 front, but both Davis twins can move to the second DT position during those times so that seems okay. And a quick note: I love the fact that we offered Bryson Williams.

But what about DE? Given our lack of pass rush, it is hard to be satisfied with this group. I love both Davis twins. I believe Carlos Davis is one of our best players on defense and Khalil Davis flashed at times last year. They are so unusual and versatile, I am not sure what their best positions are though. Then there is Freedom Akinmoladun. He is the one DE who is a DE. He is not a DT that moved to DE or an OLB moving to DE. But Akinmoladun was mostly MIA last year. He just hasn’t looked the same as he did before his injury his freshman year.

A question that I still have concerns Ben Stille. Is he a DE or an OLB? He seemed to move back and forth quite a bit last year. Either way, I hope we are witnessing the early stages of a great career. We had a number of promising performances last year from redshirt freshmen and outside of J.D. Spielman, Stille may have been the nicest development. He led the team in sacks with a whopping 3.5 sacks and he also led the team with 10 TFL’s. What is most impressive about this is that he did all this while playing virtually not at all early in the season. The Davis twins and Stille combined for 8 of our 14 sacks so there is some production there. Outside of this group, there isn’t much else. DaiShon Neal hasn’t made much of a mark so far. Neither has Peyton Newell mostly as an interior player. We have a verbal from DE Tate Wildeman—a prospect I am particularly excited about. I have him pegged as perhaps our most underrated recruit. He seems excited to play for Frost so hopefully, that is a good sign.

FINAL TAKE: We seem to be fine on the interior and are looking to get even stronger. At DE, there seems to be some nice talent there but we need more production from these two spots. Wildeman is a nice start to recruiting but I feel like we might need one more guy—especially if Stille ends up at OLB. We do have a verbal from David Alston but he might end up at OLB. A JUCO certainly would not be out of the question. You can NEVER have enough quality defensive linemen.

LB

Ugh.

Our linebacker play is bordering on ridiculous—particularly on the outside and more specifically at the CAT position. The lack of production at the CAT position may be skewing our view of our DE position. In fact, two of the key players last year—Alex Davis and Sedrick King—were former DE’s in the old 4-3. The quality of their play was about what you would have suspected from two guys who couldn’t sniff the field at DE. There is absolutely no position on this team that needs an infusion of either talent or development (preferably both) more than the CAT position. Fortunately, there are some young guys on the roster who have some potential for the new staff to work with.

Ben Stille has already been mentioned, but he may be needed at DE. Another redshirt freshman who saw some time late in the year was Collin Miller—another converted DE. I like his potential quite a bit. I think Miller might have been higher on the depth chart but an injury wiped out his spring. Now healthy, he should be in the mix for some playing time. He has a reputation of being a good pass rusher. Another guy—pardon the pun—is Guy Thomas, who redshirted last year. Thomas was recruited as a DE however his talents suit the OLB position perfectly. Hopefully these two guys can wage a competitive battle in the spring.

The DOG position is in much better shape. The position belongs to Luke Gifford whose injury was just about the final nail in the coffin for the dismal 2017 season. Gifford was absolutely terrific last year as the staff desperately moved him around to plug any of the countless holes that kept springing up all over the field. When he went down, the ship quite frankly, sank to the bottom of the murky deep.

Perhaps it wouldn’t have been so bad if young Tyrin Ferguson hadn’t also suffered a season ending injury. Ferguson was quietly starting to assert himself into the mix when he went down. The combination of Ferguson, Gifford, and at times Marcus Newby was pretty effective at times as Diaco basically let the DOGS out and crated the CATS. With Newby gone now, Ferguson could be the heir apparent to Gifford at the DOG.

The interior of the LB position is a bit rosier. Gone is Chris Weber—a gamer who deserved better than what happened last year. Next up is sophomore Avery Roberts. Roberts played special teams last year while mentoring under Weber. Roberts has top-shelf talent. Hopefully, he blossoms under Erik Chinander’s defense. He could be a very good one. At the other spot is every NU fans favorite player (sarcasm alert)—Dedrick Young, he of the quantity vs. quality tackling style. Young is always among the team leaders in tackles, but it just doesn’t seem like he really ever “makes a play.” Meanwhile, fans love his backup, Mohamed Barry. Barry is a quick backer who seems like a reasonable candidate to move outside if needed. Barry has been slow to develop as he has sometimes struggled to learn the nuances of the position. But he has a knack for playmaking and he could be on the brink of turning the corner.

Behind these players is a pretty fair list of young linebackers who did not see the field last year. Some fans wondered about redshirt freshmen Pernell Jefferson and Quayshon Alexander when the injuries piled up but it is possible they were dealing with some injuries of their own. I am going to be honest, I am not 100% sure what positions these guys are even playing at much less where Chinander would place them. Last year, we redshirted Andrew Ward and Willie Hampton (in addition to the previously mentioned Guy Thomas). One player who did see the field was walk-on sophomore Jacob Weinmaster. If you are all about the walk-ons, young Jordan Paup might be a guy to keep an eye on.

FINAL TAKE: In terms of numbers, we have a much bigger LB room than we did under the old Pelini “we already got two linebackers, why do we need a third?” recruiting philosophy. But quality wise, the verdict is still out on virtually all these guys. Remember, we don’t need all these young players to develop, just a few of them. Look for some attrition at this position based on sheer numbers alone. We were in on some quality instant impact OLB names including Micah Parsons—but now it seems more likely Parsons will next come to Lincoln wearing an opposition jersey than a Huskers jersey. There were a couple of other good looking guys out there (Daniel Carsons for example) but I am not sure if we are still in the picture with them or if Frost will continue to pursue them. As mentioned in the DL thread, we do have a verbal from DE/LB David Alston who gives the recruiting class some nice versatility. Someone mentioned to me earlier tonight that he would like to see us pursue a JUCO LB. I love that idea as long as it is a stud. We have numbers. We NEED difference makers—particularly if they can rush the passer.

DB

Perhaps no position was affected by injury more than the DB position last year. Going into the Ohio State game, we were without Aaron Williams, Josh Kalu, and Antonio Reed. What a mess. Some fans wondered why Kieron Williams wasn’t higher on the list throughout the season . . . and the answer is that he was not the answer. If confused, go back and watch the Iowa game from 2016 and watch his play. That should explain everything.

Nursing these guys to health will be an important piece to the 2018 puzzle. Aaron Williams and Antonio Reed should be back next year. This is a very good start. Williams is a smart “QB type” safety whereas Reed is more of a “striker”. This team NEEDS strikers. In fact early in 2017, you could trace the improved play of the defense almost to the moment Reed stepped into the starting lineup. The more he played, the better the defense played. Then he got hurt and the bottom completely dropped out for the defense. With injuries, comes opportunities. Marquel Dismuke suddenly saw quite a bit of playing time and looks likes he could be a solid player. But don’t forget, we lost young JoJo Dohman to injury early in the year. I have a feeling that Scott Frost’s staff is going to absolutely love Dohman. If he can stay healthy, I see Dohman forcing his way on the field sooner than later and starting at least by 2019.

Behind these guys would be Tony Butler—he of the sleepwalk run into the punter play against Iowa. Butler has split time between CB and safety. It is unclear where his future is (probably CB due to need) but he has some talent. I think Avery Anderson is back at safety again (from CB) but I blink every once in awhile and he might have moved again. Either way, he has never made a move for serious playing time.

At CB, the 2017 season took a huge hit when NFL prospect Chris Jones went down with an injury before the start of the season. Suddenly, three young players were thrust into the fire—Lamar Jackson, Eric Lee, and Dicaprio Bootle. The results were not good. Lamar Jackson stunk, pure and simple. The good news is that since Jackson plans to go pro as a junior after next year—he must be in for one heck of a great season next year. Good DB play is often about eye placement, but it is hard to see clearly when your head is in the clouds. Eric Lee was okay at times, struggled at others. It is so hard to judge these young players because Diaco went to a big cushion style of coverage to help avoid the big play. Of the three, I thought Dicaprio Bootle was by far the best. He even swung over to safety for the Ohio State game. The kid is fast and I don’t believe that I saw him back down all year. But of course, he too was injured late in the year.

Walk-on Jeremiah Stovall isn’t a bad player as a reserve. He has seen some action at both safety and CB. Late in the year, walk-on sophomore Eli Sullivan saw some action at safety.

FINAL TAKE: Perhaps no position was hit harder by injuries last year. Unfortunately, perhaps no position was hit harder by the fallout of the 2017 season in terms of recruiting. Three players have decommitted from what was a promising recruiting class, an exceptional class. Mike Riley has said that conerbacks are like gold (among other positions). Well, Fort Knox has been robbed. Scott Frost is going to have to reconstruct this recruiting class. We need CB’s badly. And not just numbers, we need quality instant impact type CB’s. Like salt in the wounds, Bookie (Brendan Radley-Hiles) is now a 5* prospect and has said he is still open. He could probably start day one here as this position is in bad shape. A JUCO is a very smart idea here. Safety seems a bit better but Williams and Reed are both seniors. We need to bring in a couple of good players there.

DEFENSE-FINAL TAKE: When you can’t rush the passer, you’re CB’s can’t cover anyone, all of your safeties are hurt, and you are giving up massive chunks of yardage on the ground to mediocre rushing offenses, the outlook is usually pretty bleak. But that is where we are. We need to get pass rushers and quality CB’s into the mix ASAP, ASAP, ASAP. I think the DL is sound and safety isn’t too shabby (if healthy). Linebacker is a mixed bag that is still developing but there is some hope there.

If we don’t bring in immediate impact player at CB, can Bootle, Lee, and Jackson grow up a bit and handle the CB duties in 2018? Can some combination of the Davis twins, Ben Stille, Collin Miller, Guy Thomas, et al produce some kind of pass rush if no immediate help can be recruited for 2018? Or can Scott Frost bring in some immediate impact talent at these positions? Or is 2018 just a lost cause on defense and we look to the future?

Please stay for the answers to these and other pertinent questions regarding the fate of the 2018 Cornhuskers and beyond.

Good luck to Coach Scott Frost and his new coaching staff!

Last edited:

Great analysis.

I think the JUCO offers at RB and OL are telling. He's not waiting to implement his plan. I am very pleased we offered a JUCO RB and would love to see the WR room expand via that route as well.

I know defense is pending, but the JUCO LB would be exciting as well.

I think defense will play with much more confidence. This team was lost on defense last year. Now the team will gel and you will see defense rise from its ashes.

Great thread by HIO and fun to look at the very early work SF and crew have done already through early signing to plug some of the holes, and shore up weaknesses.
Class QB that fits Frosts scheme? Martinez.... Check
Juco DB help? Williams....Check
Juco WR depth? Woodward.... Check
Juco Heat Seeking Missile LB? Honas.... Check
Juco All American RB? Bell.... Check
Add the holdovers like Farinok, Jurgens, Alston, Pickering and all and there is the foundation of a good class that fills a lot of the areas of need.

Scotts staff still has time left to fill out this class, and based on what we've seen so quickly, I would not be surprised if we are all very pleased on the second signing day! I think it will go down as a very successful transition class. GBR!!

Great thread by HIO and fun to look at the very early work SF and crew have done already through early signing to plug some of the holes, and shore up weaknesses.
Class QB that fits Frosts scheme? Martinez.... Check
Juco DB help? Williams....Check
Juco WR depth? Woodward.... Check
Juco Heat Seeking Missile LB? Honas.... Check
Juco All American RB? Bell.... Check
Add the holdovers like Farinok, Jurgens, Alston, Pickering and all and there is the foundation of a good class that fills a lot of the areas of need.

Scotts staff still has time left to fill out this class, and based on what we've seen so quickly, I would not be surprised if we are all very pleased on the second signing day! I think it will go down as a very successful transition class. GBR!!
Fully agree,could be a top 25 class.GBR.

Frost and his assistant coaches are going to find and play the talent ignored or not developed. The defensive side of the ball is going to see makes improvement simply because the D.C. will let the coaches coach unlike the previous one who micromanaged.

After reading that today, one thing stuck out. 14 sacks by the blackshirts.:Bananalazy:. Nice read, thanks for all the research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back