• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

3-4 Defense and Current Roster

Well put, this is exactly what I was about to write. While you really desire a stud Nose if you want to run the Alabama version it's not the only thing. The desire for a 2 gap DL is to be able to maintain 2 high as much as possible BUT you can still run an effective 3-4 without a great 2gap nose or entire 2gap DL as there's a variety of ways to account for extra gap sets without moving from a 2 shell.
Agreed, plus just from a numbers perspective, in a 3-4 we are currently lacking a perfect fit for 1 position (NT), and in a 4-3 we are lacking at 2 (both DE's). And I would guess that we are better situated to recruit to make up for the lack of a NT than DE's who can both contain and put pressure on the QB.

They ask what I did...Could Barnett be the guy at Nose. I could definitely see it. He might be the closest thing on our roster to the prototype. Anyone with an opinion on it.
Did Barnett play defense in high school? If he is struggling with the lateral movement demands of the OL, maybe this would be best for both him and the team.

They ask what I did...Could Barnett be the guy at Nose. I could definitely see it. He might be the closest thing on our roster to the prototype. Anyone with an opinion on it.
Did Barnett play defense in high school? If he is struggling with the lateral movement demands of the OL, maybe this would be best for both him and the team.
It could be something to consider...especially if he gets passed by on the depth chart by the younger guys.

We need a big NG but maybe one of the Davis twins can gain the weight necessary to fill that void? Or get a huge (literally) Juco transfer. I think our back 7 (8) is good enough to compete with a 3-4 front. That's just my opinion.

Good write up for the most part, but a couple odd statements. Since the 3-4 DE line up in front of the OT, or perhaps even to the outside, how does his statement that the DL in a 3-4 must be shorter because they face shorter offensive linemen? OT are usually the tallest of the OL and would be the same player if the defense lines up in a 3-4, a 4-3, or a 2-5....the offensive personnel doesn't change.

Also, the end comment....if NU can recruit elite athletes and develop them with excellent coaching and guidance (paraphrase) it will have an very successful defense. Well, I'd say that about fits any system at any school. Simple formula, recruit elite athletes + develop them=good results. Not really going out on a limb there.

Certainly will be a steep learning curve on that side of the ball, teaching defensive assistants without a lot of background in a 3-4 system. JP has been 4-3 pretty exclusively I believe, and Bray too since he hasn't been in too many different systems.

Overall a change that needed to be made and despite all the angst in the past from posters about playing 2-gap, bend but don't break defense (this seems the definition of that from past history) it should be an improvement. Wondering if Diaco has continued interest in a HC position. There wouldn't be an obvious internal successor if great success caused him to leave in 2-3 years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back