• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

3-4 Defense and Current Roster

BehindEnemyLines

Scout Team
15 Year Member
Assuming reports are true and we do go to a 3-4, how will that look for our current roster? Where does that put the Davis twins and others?

Davis twins would be excellent DEs in That system. Traditionally you need a huge NT who we DO NOT have. Stoltenberg would probably get it by default

Others would be better to answer this than I, but I think the Davis twins and Nick are pretty good fits because they can all move around to different positions on the DL. It would be nice to have a healthy Valentine type guy. I worry about overall depth of big bodies but we'll see.

Of our current ends, I would think that these guys would bulk up to be 3-4 ends: Neal, Natter, King (maybe)

I would think these guys would transition to the rush OLB position: Freedom, Alex Davis (maybe), Miller, Alexander

Those are just a guess and a couple might be primarily situational guys.

Yeah, a 3-4 works great if you have a Suh and two Grant Wistroms. Hopefully if we go that route we'll land some good LBs that can play rush end like Trev Alberts used to do. Personalities aside, I always liked the concept of Pelini's Peso, but instead of having an Eric Haag, I'd want a guy who can bounce between LB and smallish DE. Randy Gregory did that a TINY bit, but I think in the Big Ten it could be vital. Would allow us to be flexible against the run but still get secondary against the good passing teams like OSU, PSU, Michigan State, etc

I've been wondering what a switch to a 3-4 would mean for the current coaches. Seems like a pretty significant shift in defensive strategy, tactics, and playing style

Others would be better to answer this than I, but I think the Davis twins and Nick are pretty good fits because they can all move around to different positions on the DL. It would be nice to have a healthy Valentine type guy. I worry about overall depth of big bodies but we'll see.

Of our current ends, I would think that these guys would bulk up to be 3-4 ends: Neal, Natter, King (maybe)

I would think these guys would transition to the rush OLB position: Freedom, Alex Davis (maybe), Miller, Alexander

Those are just a guess and a couple might be primarily situational guys.
Also add Jefferson to the rush OLB position.

Who would be our other 3 LB's in that scheme? Roach and Roberts in the middle (backed up by Simmons and Domann), and Mo Barry/D. Young/etc., in the other outside LB position?

Yeah, a 3-4 works great if you have a Suh and two Grant Wistroms. Hopefully if we go that route we'll land some good LBs that can play rush end like Trev Alberts used to do. Personalities aside, I always liked the concept of Pelini's Peso, but instead of having an Eric Haag, I'd want a guy who can bounce between LB and smallish DE. Randy Gregory did that a TINY bit, but I think in the Big Ten it could be vital. Would allow us to be flexible against the run but still get secondary against the good passing teams like OSU, PSU, Michigan State, etc

How flexible against the run? Like 408 yards flexible?

:Sarcastic:

The 3-4 is wonderfully flexible. Just depends how you want to play it......which in turn is predicated on your personnel.

I've been wondering what a switch to a 3-4 would mean for the current coaches. Seems like a pretty significant shift in defensive strategy, tactics, and playing style
Mainly DL and LB. Can not speak for Bray but I believe that JP played in both during his career in the NFL.

seems to me that our front 7 gets even smaller with a 3-4, cause your changing out a DL for a LB, and that is a 60-70 lb change. of course we want bigger 3 man line. Dont know who will be the nose, we need a 6-2 320lb guy back like valentine last year.

I think Avery Roberts and Dedrick young would be outstanding OLB's in a 3-4 defense.

Last edited:

I think Avery Roberts and Dedrick young would be outstanding OLB's in a 3-4 defense.

Watching him this year . . . Young sure doesn't seem to have the speed, nastiness or instincts to be an outside rusher in a 3-4. But who knows? Your "ends" need to be athletic, mean, nose-for-the-ball/qb guys. Young seemed slower than Bando, which is mind boggling.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back