• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2020 Title Odds - GBR

How's this for a prediction:

Next year NEITHER Clemson nor Alabama will qualify for the CFP.

Clemson loses a non-conference game to aTm and another conference game likely FSU.
Alabama loses a cross-over conference in September to Georgia and again in the SEC championship game!

I can't imagine both of them not making the CFP. At least one will, but I like your thinking....

8th best odds in the whole country or just out of the Big 10? The latter seems more realistic.
I disagree with that ... next year conservatively somewhere between 8 and 9 wins? Would you not agree?

That puts us somewhere between 3rd and 6th in B1G.

Favorable conference schedule ... a manageable non-conference schedule.

I disagree with that ... next year conservatively somewhere between 8 and 9 wins? Would you not agree?

That puts us somewhere between 3rd and 6th in B1G.

Favorable conference schedule ... a manageable non-conference schedule.

If the odds were for 2020, I could buy NU having the 8th best odds nationally.

For 2019, I do agree they will be better than 8th in the conference, but probably still quite a way from national Top 10.

If nothing else, being ranked early in off-season so highly may add motivation and spirit to the upcoming team. For players to see what is already being said about them being ranked, may pump them to go even harder in off season workouts. Start believing early and it may stoke the flames. I cannot see the Huskers being ranked this highly to start, but it would be amazing if it gets the Huskers in the actual Top 25 AP and Coaches Polls to start the season in the Fall. It all starts to build the narrative that Frost and the Huskers are on an upward trajectory. Get on board now.

Last edited:

How's this for a prediction:

Next year NEITHER Clemson nor Alabama will qualify for the CFP.

Clemson loses a non-conference game to aTm and another conference game likely FSU.
Alabama loses a cross-over conference in September to Georgia and again in the SEC championship game!

I can see A&M beating either or both, but it's hard to imagine FSU being capable of beating a litter of kittens at this point. Miami is down, too. I don't know what Syracuse, Pittsburgh, or Duke have back, but they're not exactly a Murderer's Row of opponents either. Clemson has the easiest path to the CFP every year for the foreseeable future, and they also seem to be ... you know ... decent.

How much longer can Saban keep doing what he's doing? 'Bama fans are flippin' nuts. It's not like they're going to call for his job, but he will now have to spend the next year hearing every Billy Bob and Bubba telling him how disappointed he was in their showing, etc. I think that Saban will go back to the NFL. He's a lot like Bellichick as far as just wanting to be left alone.

Last edited:
I can see A&M beating either or both, but it's hard to imagine FSU being capable of beating a litter of kittens at this point. Miami is down, too. I don't know what Syracuse, Pittsburgh, or Duke have back, but they're not exactly a Murderer's Row of opponents either. Clemson has the easiest path to the CFP every year for the foreseeable future, and they also seem to be ... you know ... decent.

How much longer can Saban keep doing what he's doing? 'Bama fans are flippin' nuts. It's not like they're going to call for his job, but he will now have to spend the next year hearing every Billy Bob and Bubba telling him how disappointed he was in their showing, etc. I think that Saban will go back to the NFL. He's a lot like Bellichick as far as just wanting to be left alone.
Clemson also plays at Notre Dame next year. They darn near got beat by Syracuse this year. They also have to replace half of that defense who is going to get drafted. Nevertheless having neither in the CFP next year is an outlandish risky prediction. It takes some doing to project such a scenario but sometimes ... ya just gotta have faith!

Clemson does seem to have the easiest / most direct path to the CFP. The rest of the ACC is trash. Who are their second and third best teams right now? Syracuse? NC State? BC? WF? 2018 Nebraska might have finished second or third in that conference!

Syracuse has given Clemson trouble the last few years, but no one else in the conference is even competitive with them right now. Florida St. and Louisville approached historical lows this season, and Miami is very average.

The kind of team Clemson has been producing lately would not have had major competition in any conference, inclduing the BIG (maybe with the exception of one or two years of OSU). The exception would be that there are a couple of teams in the SEC that would have gone toe to toe with them. But that is not a prediciton for future success. I doubt they will be undefeated next year - they'll have a down day when another decent team has an up date against them, and a couple of bounces go the wrong way for them. I also think that who that might be is very hard to predict.

The kind of team Clemson has been producing lately would not have had major competition in any conference, inclduing the BIG (maybe with the exception of one or two years of OSU). The exception would be that there are a couple of teams in the SEC that would have gone toe to toe with them. But that is not a prediciton for future success. I doubt they will be undefeated next year - they'll have a down day when another decent team has an up date against them, and a couple of bounces go the wrong way for them. I also think that who that might be is very hard to predict.
Don't the words in red contradict the words in bold? If a team plays consistently good teams--bowl-worthy teams--even the best team in the country will usually lose a game. The ACC is not a very good conference, right now. Their teams that went to bowls would not have gone to bowls if they had played in the B1G and had played a non-conference schedule that looked like something from the SEC. Indiana wasn't good enough to make it to a bowl game,... but they beat Virginia, who won a bowl game. Purdue finished under .500 and barely slipped into a bowl game, where they got crushed by Auburn,... but Purdue had no trouble whipping Boston College. If Indiana, Maryland, and Nebraska could have played an ACC team's schedule, any or all of them probably would have been bowl eligible this year. Illinois would have beaten a lot of those teams, too.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back