• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2020 & '21 conference skeds; no more Black Friday Iowa; Purdue to be '20 season opener

JHudson

Administrator
Staff member
20 Year Member
From the Athletic Dept.:

Big Ten Announces 2020 and 2021 Conference Schedules

Nebraska will open the 2020 football season with a Big Ten Conference game against Purdue at Memorial Stadium. That game was one of the highlights of the 2020 and 2021 Big Ten football schedules announced by the league office on Tuesday.

The Huskers’ matchup with Purdue on Sept. 5, 2020, will mark the first time Nebraska will open a season with a conference game since playing host to Oklahoma State to open the 2003 campaign.

In addition to opening the 2020 season against Purdue, Nebraska will play host to Illinois (Oct. 10), Penn State (Nov. 7) and Minnesota (Nov. 28) at Memorial Stadium. The Huskers will play road games at Northwestern (Oct. 3), Rutgers (Oct. 24), Ohio State (Oct. 31), Iowa (Nov. 14) and Wisconsin (Nov. 21).

Nebraska will play five Big Ten Conference home games in 2021, playing host to Ohio State (Oct. 2), Northwestern (Oct. 9), Michigan (Oct. 30), Iowa (Nov. 6) and Wisconsin (Nov. 20). The Huskers’ four conference road games in 2021 include trips to Michigan State (Sept. 25), Purdue (Oct. 16), Illinois (Nov. 13) and Minnesota (Nov. 27).

Nebraska 2020 & 2021 Big Ten Schedules

Sept. 5 Purdue
Oct. 3 at Northwestern
Oct. 10 Illinois
Oct. 24 at Rutgers
Oct. 31 at Ohio State
Nov. 7 Penn State
Nov. 14 at Iowa
Nov. 21 at Wisconsin
Nov. 28 Minnesota

Note: Nebraska has non-conference home games scheduled against Cincinnati on Sept. 12 and Central Michigan on Sept. 19.

Sept. 25 at Michigan State
Oct. 2 Ohio State
Oct. 9 Northwestern
Oct. 16 at Purdue
Oct. 30 Michigan
Nov. 6 Iowa
Nov. 13 at Illinois
Nov. 20 Wisconsin
Nov. 27 at Minnesota

Note: Nebraska has non-conference home games scheduled against Northern Illinois on Sept. 4 and Buffalo on Sept. 11, and a non-conference road game at Oklahoma on Sept. 18.

- 2020 Big Ten schedules, all teams
- 2021 Big Ten schedules, all teams

Conference schedulers continuing to not do us any favors. There is a massive gap between the top 4 programs (Michigan, MSU, OSU, PSU) and the bottom 3 (Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland). Between 2017 and 2021, we play 11 of 15 crossover games against the top 4. 6 of the 11 are on the road.

For what it is worth, Iowa has 10 of 15 games against the top 4 crossover opponents, and Wisconsin has 9 of 15. Maybe not a huge difference, but it can really be a deciding factor in a year like this one, where Wisconsin gets a pretty easy crossover slate.

Conference schedulers continuing to not do us any favors. There is a massive gap between the top 4 programs (Michigan, MSU, OSU, PSU) and the bottom 3 (Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland). Between 2017 and 2021, we play 11 of 15 crossover games against the top 4. 6 of the 11 are on the road.

If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. I'd much rather play the top 4 than the bottom 3. I'm more concerned that they don't respect our Thanksgiving tradition. But then we haven't held up our end of the bargain either (by being a worthy team to watch).

If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. I'd much rather play the top 4 than the bottom 3. I'm more concerned that they don't respect our Thanksgiving tradition. But then we haven't held up our end of the bargain either (by being a worthy team to watch).

I do get that, I really do. I just don't think there should ever be a situation where you can go undefeated against all the teams in your division, and yet another team gets to go to the championship game because they drew a much easier cross-over slate.

I don't understand B1G crossover scheduling. Why do we play tOSU every year? We get brutalized on the crossovers. In those two years, our six crossover games are Ohio State (twice), Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, and Rutgers. No Maryland, no Indiana.

I haven't seen what Iowa and Wisky got for crossovers, but I hope they got loaded up in a similar fashion. Otherwise, that is BS. When is the last time Iowa played Ohio State? I think this will make six straight years of Ohio State games for us.

Okay, rant over.

At least Iowa got hit pretty hard in 2020. Not so much in 2021. Wisky got off easy in 2020, but has Michigan and Penn State I'm 2021.

I don't understand B1G crossover scheduling. Why do we play tOSU every year? We get brutalized on the crossovers. In those two years, our six crossover games are Ohio State (twice), Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, and Rutgers. No Maryland, no Indiana.

I haven't seen what Iowa and Wisky got for crossovers, but I hope they got loaded up in a similar fashion. Otherwise, that is BS. When is the last time Iowa played Ohio State? I think this will make six straight years of Ohio State games for us.

Okay, rant over.

We didn't play them in '13, '14 or '15. We also haven't played Michigan since 2013. There's certainly some discrepancies, but its tough to get it right 100% of the time. Who's to say how good teams will be 4 or 5 years down the road, or even who's coaching which team that far in advance.

Last edited:

I do get that, I really do. I just don't think there should ever be a situation where you can go undefeated against all the teams in your division, and yet another team gets to go to the championship game because they drew a much easier cross-over slate.

Perhaps they should change the criteria so that your Division record has first priority.

And then take into account the strength of crossover games.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back