• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2019 Burke High recruits (Hickman Setting Up OVs) Update: Visiting for the Colorado game

For as much emphasis as this staff is putting on in-state recruiting, losing out on Henrich would be tough. I have a bad feeling that we could end up 0-3 on Duggan, Henrich, and Hickman.

I'm not trying to criticize or bash Frost and staff in any way. It's just disappointing that the very best local players don't seem that interested in getting on board at this point in time.

This is distressing for those of us who can remember a consistently dominant Husker team every year, but these kids coming out of high school now are from a generation that only saw those teams from the YouTube archives. They grew up with inconsistent Husker play that could tank any given season. They never recognized the Huskers as the dream team to play for, but rather just some mediocre program that is still trying to resurrect a contender program. Hence they find interest in other programs that have shown more remarkable and consistent success during their childhood. Hence they simply have little interest in trying to restore program still searching for its mojo. I ran out of "Hences" in my back pocket. I'm tired.

Good points. Part of the problem may be that today's high schoolers are a lost generation of sorts, in the sense that they have never experienced NU football as most of us remember it. A lot of HS seniors were born in 2001, about when Black Friday and the Rose Bowl disaster went down. And it's generally been downhill from there.

That is definitely the case. Add to this the cultural change in our society due to technological advancements, and it is much easier for in-state kids to go elsewhere. The internet and social media make it so much easier to establish and maintain connections to programs far away. Peer recruiting didn't exist the way it does today. Twitter, texts, emails, IM's, internet articles, etc. make is so much easier for someone to follow a team or program at a distance. I realize you know all this, just thought it was prudent to the discussion.

For as much emphasis as this staff is putting on in-state recruiting, losing out on Henrich would be tough. I have a bad feeling that we could end up 0-3 on Duggan, Henrich, and Hickman.

I'm not trying to criticize or bash Frost and staff in any way. It's just disappointing that the very best local players don't seem that interested in getting on board at this point in time.
Well, I won't fault SF. It's an unusual circumstance that both the Burke kids grew up not being big Husker fans while living in NE. Plus, our recent record isn't exactly exciting to them.

Here's OWH article with quotes from him about his visits...other visits were to Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Iowa State.

On his Nebraska visit: "It was awesome," he said. "It was great getting to know the new staff. I got a chance to sit down and talk with the staff on a personal level and they are really great. I talked to their strength coach (Zach Duval) a lot and he seemed like he was great at developing guys. You can tell that the players are really buying in and you can tell the coaches are doing everything they can to flip the program around."

Henrich is undecided on if he will attend Nebraska's spring game Saturday — Omaha Burke's prom is on the same day.

"If I do go, maybe it will be for the first half or something like that," he said.

"Before my senior season starts I want to get my commitment out of the way so I can focus on my senior season."

Henrich is the state's top prospect in the 2019 class and a national recruit. He ranks No. 75 overall nationally, according to 247Sports. If he stays in the top 100 when the final rankings are published, he will be 247's highest-rated recruit from Nebraska since it began ranking prospects in 2010.

I think Frost and staff will be able to pull in at least one of these kids. They just seem to be dialed in with everything they do, and the players seem to genuinely think they are top notch. They see what UCF and want to be a part of something like that.

Iowa? Pffft. What do they have? We beat Riley 3 years in a row? Who didn’t?

A 4th CB for Henrich to Notre Dame. They're from a Notre Dame insider (Tom Loy) who's usually pretty accurate, a Minnesota and Ole Miss insider (two of his perceived favorites) and Steve Wiltfong.

A 4th CB for Henrich to Notre Dame. They're from a Notre Dame insider (Tom Loy) who's usually pretty accurate, a Minnesota and Ole Miss insider (two of his perceived favorites) and Steve Wiltfong.

The welcome sign to recruiters from other programs has been ignored by Ne. for too long a period and won't be rectified in one year.

ND is poised for a big year on the field. I have every confidence they can screw it up and hopefully put some serious heat under Kelly. That might just be enough to persuade some local boys to stick around.

Even back in the 80's and 90's when NU was rolling under Osborne, Notre Dame was the one school that was able to poach some local guys that we wanted. Junior Bryant, Ty Goode, and Tim Ridder may have been the three most highly-rated instate players that we lost out on in the Osborne era. (Bryant and Ridder likely would have been 5* recruits using today's rating system.) More recently, we lost out on Trevor Robinson to Notre Dame.

Even back in the 80's and 90's when NU was rolling under Osborne, Notre Dame was the one school that was able to poach some local guys that we wanted. Junior Bryant, Ty Goode, and Tim Ridder may have been the three most highly-rated instate players that we lost out on in the Osborne era. (Bryant and Ridder likely would have been 5* recruits using today's rating system.) More recently, we lost out on Trevor Robinson to Notre Dame.
Larry Station and Scott Frost were others

Last edited:

Dave Jandric from Prep was another. I'm pretty sure NU offered and he chose ND. HS class of '86.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back