• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2019 4* ATH Ty Robinson predictions rolling in

He has a legendary work ethic. You can tell a lot about a coach by what other coaches say about him, and the closest that other coaches come to criticizing Saban is to talk about him being too obsessive, too controlling, too driven, but is there anybody who thinks that you can be a successful D-1 coach without living somewhere in the vicinity of crossing those lines? I thought it was interesting that Saban was upset about the NCAA adding a rule that head coaches could only visit a player once in home, but his observation was that only he and Urban Meyer were out visiting players like assistant coaches, so other coaches complained--not because they couldn't do the same thing--but because they weren't willing to go out and do the work, so they didn't want Saban and Meyer doing it either. I think that there was a heck of a lot of truth in that.

As for what @wheat and @alabamahusker said about hating Alabama before Saban, I absolutely get that, but if anyone hates Saban, himself, well, you may want to stop and think about how much he and Osborne admire each other. I don't know if it's still true, but in one Saban biography he said that he likes to talk with Osborne from time to time because he values his input on organizational questions, etc. Charlie McBride and company have a lot of praise for him, too, because he does things the right way, and he won't ever be outworked.

For those who still harbor hard feelings, fwiw, I don't think that he's happy. I don't think that he can ever be content. I think that he's got a great wife and marriage, but he lives in the world of coaching to fill a void, and I think that it haunts him. His father was pretty much an @$$hole, and he's still living to try to please a dead man who could never be pleased. Saban is a reminder to me--a mediocre coach with a wonderful family in a no-name town--that all of the success that you can imagine in a coaching career will not be enough to fill a spiritual vacuum. I'd love to be friends with the guy.
Those are well recognized sentiments! Somebody has to set the bar, and you don’t reach it by tearing the other guy down. You get there by work and and doing things the right way.

Per Gabriel's article the whole staff will be at his home for dinner tonight.
It would really be awkward if Ty was to tell everyone during dessert that he had decided to go to Alabama. ;)
Anchorman-2-The-Legend-Continue-Ron-Burgundy-Will-Ferrell-What-Gif.gif

He has a legendary work ethic. You can tell a lot about a coach by what other coaches say about him, and the closest that other coaches come to criticizing Saban is to talk about him being too obsessive, too controlling, too driven, but is there anybody who thinks that you can be a successful D-1 coach without living somewhere in the vicinity of crossing those lines? I thought it was interesting that Saban was upset about the NCAA adding a rule that head coaches could only visit a player once in home, but his observation was that only he and Urban Meyer were out visiting players like assistant coaches, so other coaches complained--not because they couldn't do the same thing--but because they weren't willing to go out and do the work, so they didn't want Saban and Meyer doing it either. I think that there was a heck of a lot of truth in that.

As for what @wheat and @alabamahusker said about hating Alabama before Saban, I absolutely get that, but if anyone hates Saban, himself, well, you may want to stop and think about how much he and Osborne admire each other. I don't know if it's still true, but in one Saban biography he said that he likes to talk with Osborne from time to time because he values his input on organizational questions, etc. Charlie McBride and company have a lot of praise for him, too, because he does things the right way, and he won't ever be outworked.

For those who still harbor hard feelings, fwiw, I don't think that he's happy. I don't think that he can ever be content. I think that he's got a great wife and marriage, but he lives in the world of coaching to fill a void, and I think that it haunts him. His father was pretty much an @$$hole, and he's still living to try to please a dead man who could never be pleased. Saban is a reminder to me--a mediocre coach with a wonderful family in a no-name town--that all of the success that you can imagine in a coaching career will not be enough to fill a spiritual vacuum. I'd love to be friends with the guy.

Yes my feelings about Alabama run long and deep. About 50 years give or take. Not about Saban. I’ve said time and time again to folks around here who know where I stand, that the man is a hell of a coach. I also believe it isn’t as much about his actual game day coaching, as I think there are many more talented minds out there. But his grasp of “the process” is currently unmatched in CFB.
I respect what he’s done there, just ready for it to be over :frost::Huskerflag:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back