• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 Scholarship Numbers

Yes, I'm including the +3. We have 78 guys on scholarship with all the signings plus 2 scholarships being held for Smith and Mapieu = 80 total scholarships. To get to 88 (using the +3) that would be 8 more guys. Signing a total of 23. However, there's rumors a few may have already informed the staff they won't be back, but that's not public knowledge yet. That's why I'm saying 8 known openings, but probably even more.
I'm on the same page with you...my getting to 24-26 is with that extra attrition that is being mentioned but not publicly spoken.

I included Smith and Mapieu on the scholarship chart in italics to indicate that they haven't signed their LOIs, but that their scholarships are accounted for. Sitting at 80 scholarships with the possibility of additional attrition.

Yes. I know he hasn't signed his LOI, but he's enrolled. So he's not signed, but he's on campus. I'll just include Smith and Mapieu in italics on the scholarship chart to not cause confusion.
Thanks for the clarification. It all makes sense now.

Added LB/DB Breon Dixon to the scholarship list. Currently listed as an expected redshirt, but that could change if all the Ole Miss transfer appeals are granted. 81 scholarships are accounted for. Should be able to add 7 more pending any additional attrition.

Added RB/WR Miles Jones and WR Dominick Watt to the scholarship numbers. Up to 84 scholarships accounted for. Four left in the class pending additional attrition.

What is the +3? Is there some rule that you can oversign by +3 or are you assuming attrition of 3 to bring the final scholarship count to 85?

Not sure what is meant when some people say "if the guy has high enough talent, we'll find room" I thought 85 was a hard cap. When do we have to be at 85 by? Is there a certain date?

What is the +3? Is there some rule that you can oversign by +3 or are you assuming attrition of 3 to bring the final scholarship count to 85?

Not sure what is meant when some people say "if the guy has high enough talent, we'll find room" I thought 85 was a hard cap. When do we have to be at 85 by? Is there a certain date?
The B1G allows you to oversign by 3. By the start of fall you have to have it below the 85. Attrition will happen naturally at around that rate no matter who the coach is.

So between now and start of fall camp we can be between 86-88 but by fall camp we have to be at 85?

I agree with the attrition, every year it seems there will be someone who leaves after spring, a recruit from this cycle who doesn't make it to campus, and a player leaving during the summer / fall camp.

So between now and start of fall camp we can be between 86-88 but by fall camp we have to be at 85?

I agree with the attrition, every year it seems there will be someone who leaves after spring, a recruit from this cycle who doesn't make it to campus, and a player leaving during the summer / fall camp.
Correct.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...23ff249.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Schaefer seems to think there will be five more scholies going out. That must mean there's 1 more departure that they know about???

Wouldn't surprise me. I'm guessing someone probably told the coaching staff that they wanted to grad transfer out. They just have to wait until they graduate after the second semester. There was that rumor a few weeks ago that someone was transferring to Kansas State as a graduate transfer. That player is still listed on the roster though.

Added CB Braxton Clark. That puts us at 85 scholarships. Room for 3 additional recruits. **Schaefer has hinted that we actually have room for 4 more. I'm guessing if that's true, then someone told the coaches that they are transferring upon graduating after second semester. Just speculation on my part, nothing public yet.

Added CB Braxton Clark. That puts us at 85 scholarships. Room for 3 additional recruits. **Schaefer has hinted that we actually have room for 4 more. I'm guessing if that's true, then someone told the coaches that they are transferring upon graduating after second semester. Just speculation on my part, nothing public yet.

Does anyone know if that would need to be made public before signing day or do they just need to inform the NCAA? I would assume the +3 applies to signing day and that we can’t be higher than 88 on that day.

Does anyone know if that would need to be made public before signing day or do they just need to inform the NCAA? I would assume the +3 applies to signing day and that we can’t be higher than 88 on that day.

The plus three is a Big Ten rule. I think they just have to inform the conference that "Player Name indicated that he's transferring upon graduation in the summer." I could be wrong, but I think they just have to document how they'll get back under the 85 limit.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back