• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 Royals

A few short years ago everything worked. I mean everything. Now injuries mean a drop in production or pitching and nothing they do in game seems to make any difference.
For a small market team, the margin for error is huge. The last few years have seen both extremes of that.

For a small market team, the margin for error is huge. The last few years have seen both extremes of that.

Without question. I've just got my fingers crossed that this downturn isn't the start of another two decades of crappy baseball. Looks like it's at minimum a few years to rebuild in the free agent market and through trades just to get the big league club back up to the level of a contender for the division. Problem is they can't dump a big contract on any one incoming free agent or that'll be it. Guys either early in their career who've not proven anything or guys on the downhill side are all they'll get. It'll be five years plus to rebuild the farm system, so that makes the margin of error even smaller if one of the trades or free agent signings doesn't pan out.

Without question. I've just got my fingers crossed that this downturn isn't the start of another two decades of crappy baseball. Looks like it's at minimum a few years to rebuild in the free agent market and through trades just to get the big league club back up to the level of a contender for the division. Problem is they can't dump a big contract on any one incoming free agent or that'll be it. Guys either early in their career who've not proven anything or guys on the downhill side are all they'll get. It'll be five years plus to rebuild the farm system, so that makes the margin of error even smaller if one of the trades or free agent signings doesn't pan out.
The Royals almost have to have a bunch of guys come up together and peak together. If we have great players come up here and there, they are snagged by large market teams. We saw that happen for over two decades in the 90's and 2000s.

The Royals almost have to have a bunch of guys come up together and peak together. If we have great players come up here and there, they are snagged by large market teams. We saw that happen for over two decades in the 90's and 2000s.

You're right. Timing is everything. They don't pick the right kids for a few years out of a decade (Starling for example) and there's a hole in the pipeline. It's hard to look at what's left and not think the few remaining tradable players will be gone before year's end and they damned sure better get value for them or this will turn into epic suckage for years to come. Front office rework, new manager, rumors about moving the team, etc.

Good point.

It only adds to the urgency in dumping as many veteran players as we can now.

From all indications, KC's farm system is really lacking of great player potential. Definitely not enough talent available to avoid mediocrity as a team for years to come. We could develop another Beltran or Damon -- stud players on poor teams -- and wave goodbye all over again.

We need to stock the farm system with as much potential inexperienced talent as possible.

Good point.

It only adds to the urgency in dumping as many veteran players as we can now.

From all indications, KC's farm system is really lacking of great player potential. Definitely not enough talent available to avoid mediocrity as a team for years to come. We could develop another Beltran or Damon -- stud players on poor teams -- and wave goodbye all over again.

We need to stock the farm system with as much potential inexperienced talent as possible.
There is nothing to get excited about in the near future thats for sure but in the lower levels, there is supposedly some talent. But at that level, its all a lot of promise. Who knows what will happen?

Agree that you dump the talent that you can to get as much to work with as you can. Salvador Perez will stay as his contract is too big for anyone to want to take on. Nobody is going to touch Gordons contract. Everyone else is fair game.

There is nothing to get excited about in the near future thats for sure but in the lower levels, there is supposedly some talent. But at that level, its all a lot of promise. Who knows what will happen?

Agree that you dump the talent that you can to get as much to work with as you can. Salvador Perez will stay as his contract is too big for anyone to want to take on. Nobody is going to touch Gordons contract. Everyone else is fair game.

No doubt that both Moose and Merrifield will be goners. It wouldn't pain me at all to see Escobar gone, but I can't imagine any interest. Duffy?

Last edited:
No doubt that both Moose and Merrifield will be goners. It wouldn't pain me at all to see Escobar gone, but I can't imagine any interest. Duffy?
Duffy is hard to figure out. He has been so inconsistent all season. He has pitched well the last three starts including tonight but he had a stretch where he looked awful for 4-5 games. Hard to take a chance on that when you are looking to make a move.

Escobar will not be a Royal next year but nobody else will want him this year. They have experimented with him playing other positions than short as well maybe to up his value for other teams but I expect Mondesi to sink or swim next year at SS for KC.

At this point, you may as well DFA Escobar. He's batting below the Mendoza line and his defense isn't significantly better than what his replacement's would be to justify keeping him as a regular in the lineup. He's at a -1.8 WAR. People were railing on Omar Infante in 2015 and 2016 (granted KC was actually playing for something those years), but he never reached that low of a WAR and had a better bat.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter at this point, but KC lit up the Twins starter in the 2nd. Up 5-1 after 2. Gordon also made a great throw to get a guy at third...after misreading a line drive off the wall. He giveth and he taketh away.

Kennedy's at 54 pitches through 2 2/3 with two on and I'm already four beers into a six pack.

It doesn't matter at this point, but KC lit up the Twins starter in the 2nd. Up 5-1 after 2. Gordon also made a great throw to get a guy at third...after misreading a line drive off the wall. He giveth and he taketh away.

That further points out just how crappy KC's record is.

The AL Central is horrible. Worst in baseball. Every team sucks with exception to Cleveland -- with a record inflated due to playing a lot of garbage teams.

When you're in the running for 110+ losses and you play in a division as bad as the AL Central is .......................... ugh.

Last edited:

That further points out just how crappy KC's record is.

The AL Central is horrible. Worst in baseball. Every team sucks with exception to Cleveland -- with a record inflated due to playing a lot of garbage teams.

When you're in the running for 110+ losses and you play in a division as bad as the AL Central is .......................... ugh.

It's brutal.

I keep having to Google 'World Series Winners' to make sure I didn't dream 2015.

Three freaking years ago and we're this damned bad.

On a side note, I know I'm getting old when guys who played when I was in my early 20's are now managing...and have been for some time.

At this point, you may as well DFA Escobar. He's batting below the Mendoza line and his defense isn't significantly better than what his replacement's would be to justify keeping him as a regular in the lineup. He's at a -1.8 WAR. People were railing on Omar Infante in 2015 and 2016 (granted KC was actually playing for something those years), but he never reached that low of a WAR and had a better bat.

Escobar got the night off this past Saturday. He had the longest streak of consecutive games played in MLB until that point. Talk about an overdue day on the bench!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back