• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 PF Chang offered - SDSU, SLCC, Mizzou

Will be interesting to see how he does at Washington. Another great NE high school prospect and Nebraska comes up empty.
In fairness, we aren't getting anyone from this state with it being the chopping block year for Miles. And Chang was never coming here with what happened to Arop (even though Nebraska was right to tell him go to prep school, they just shouldn't have offered in the first place). I mean... we have two open scholarships and we told Arop "no thanks".

I think Miles will be gone after this year, unless this group becomes a team out of nowhere. I don't know that Nebraska can attract a better fit for energy and personality. Getting a quiet guy or a curmudgeon isn't going to work, Nebraska still needs a snake oil salesman.

Having said that, I would like it if Miles and Arop can work it out (assuming hard work on both sides) and Aguek ends up as a Husker. Would have liked to seen Chang as a Husker, too.

Washington note: First UNL game I ever saw at Devaney was against UW. Neubert nearly got kicked out for punching one of their 7 foot guys in the sternum from behind. :)

In fairness, we aren't getting anyone from this state with it being the chopping block year for Miles. And Chang was never coming here with what happened to Arop (even though Nebraska was right to tell him go to prep school, they just shouldn't have offered in the first place). I mean... we have two open scholarships and we told Arop "no thanks".

Agree with this.

I think Miles will be gone after this year, unless this group becomes a team out of nowhere. I don't know that Nebraska can attract a better fit for energy and personality. Getting a quiet guy or a curmudgeon isn't going to work, Nebraska still needs a snake oil salesman.

Having said that, I would like it if Miles and Arop can work it out (assuming hard work on both sides) and Aguek ends up as a Husker. Would have liked to seen Chang as a Husker, too.

Washington note: First UNL game I ever saw at Devaney was against UW. Neubert nearly got kicked out for punching one of their 7 foot guys in the sternum from behind. :)

It's all speculative, but I think there's around a 33% chance that they have a big year. It would take some talent development, a hot start, and a little bit of luck, but it's possible. I'm with you, the odds are that we don't and we all know how that will end. Of course with Eichorst, you never know for sure.

If Miles wins big this year, Eichorst's only play is to extend his contract and invest in him. He'd have to given that he hasn't extended his contract for the past two seasons. Whether Miles wins and is retrained or we have to hire a new coach, it's becoming imperative that relationships improve with local coaches and players, especially in the Omaha metro.

As *** stated earlier, Miles made the right decision, this level would be a huge jump for Arop. Should have waited for development before offering. That said, it's absolutely crucial to get the next Omaha metro Sudanese kid who can play at this level enrolled at Nebraska. Should have been Chang but wasn't, we must get the next one. Getting in good with the Omaha Sudanese basketball community will really help boost our program the next decade or two. If we don't tap that pipeline, Iowa and Creighton will.

It's all speculative, but I think there's around a 33% chance that they have a big year. It would take some talent development, a hot start, and a little bit of luck, but it's possible. I'm with you, the odds are that we don't and we all know how that will end. Of course with Eichorst, you never know for sure.

If Miles wins big this year, Eichorst's only play is to extend his contract and invest in him. He'd have to given that he hasn't extended his contract for the past two seasons. Whether Miles wins and is retrained or we have to hire a new coach, it's becoming imperative that relationships improve with local coaches and players, especially in the Omaha metro.

As *** stated earlier, Miles made the right decision, this level would be a huge jump for Arop. Should have waited for development before offering. That said, it's absolutely crucial to get the next Omaha metro Sudanese kid who can play at this level enrolled at Nebraska. Should have been Chang but wasn't, we must get the next one. Getting in good with the Omaha Sudanese basketball community will really help boost our program the next decade or two. If we don't tap that pipeline, Iowa and Creighton will.
Not trying to put the cart before the horse, but I wonder what those two extra scholarships can really do for the next coach if Miles is gone. The recruiting year is basically over except for transfers.

That Sudanese population in Omaha will definitely churn out a D1 kid every year or two, no doubt. Find the right ones and you can really do well.

Not trying to put the cart before the horse, but I wonder what those two extra scholarships can really do for the next coach if Miles is gone. The recruiting year is basically over except for transfers.

That Sudanese population in Omaha will definitely churn out a D1 kid every year or two, no doubt. Find the right ones and you can really do well.

That's a problem I worry about as well. Not only do we have to deal with players transferring out, but a limited roster to begin with. Eichorst will need to be out in front of things if he decides to fire Miles. Have it all figured out before the season ends and communicating with the players will be important.

You're absolutely right although I thought Miles really should have bit his lip and stuck with the offer to Arop even if it would have been a somewhat wasted scholie. Really couldn't afford to be burning bridges with Omaha coaches and players. Like you said, we have two open scholarships so in the end it really wouldn't have hurt too bad.

Last edited:

The 'Sunshine-Pumper' in me thinks that you may be a little too pessimistic. I rather think I'd be more inclined to reverse your percentages. It's probably more likely there's a 33% chance we won't have a big year if we don't have a little bit of luck. With a little bit of luck, I believe it's more likely there's a 67% chance we Will have a big year.
:Koolaid2:
Think about it: Last year we had all of the above (talent development, a hot start, and a little bit of luck) except for the luck part; leading to the disastrous season end slump. This year, With a little bit of luck (i.e. Duby is eligible for the full year, Copeland successfully rehabs from his back surgery and is able to contribute to his ability, and Gill is able to come back from last-years debilitating knee injury and contribute meaningful minutes), we Can have a big year.

Overall, the team is just that much more experienced than last year. I don't think I've ever seen as much talent across the board on any team fielded by Miles while here. How many Rivals top 150 players do we have on the roster?

For the moment, Eichorst has made his bed with Miles, and his vision; but not to such an extent that he can't let him go on short notice if he doesn't produce results. Miles can recruit; The question is, and remains, how well can he (and his staff) coach-em-up?

While I wholeheartedly agree with both of the following sentiments, does anyone else see the irony of the importance of developing relationships in Omaha; followed by admonishment for offering Aguek too early?

I believe that success on the court is a necessary prerequisite to recruiting the area. If Miles proves he can put a winner on the court, recruiting will follow.

While I wholeheartedly agree with both of the following sentiments, does anyone else see the irony of the importance of developing relationships in Omaha; followed by admonishment for offering Aguek too early?

You should only offer someone that early that you are okay with, even if they don't develop or get hurt. If you do commit to them, you need to stay committed or you end up in the soup that UNL is in currently. I know it's a business, and you have to manage risk; but you have to have the trust of the fans and the community at large if you are going to be great.

Last edited:
You should only offer someone that early that you are okay with, even if they don't develop or get hurt. If you do commit to them, you need to stay committed or you end up in the soup that UNL is in currently. I know it's a business, and you have to manage risk; but you have to have the trust of the fans and the community at large if you are going to be great.

I don't agree. You offer a kid based on certain criteria. They need to keep their studies up, they need to stay out of trouble with the law and they need to continue working on their game.

What would we say if a kid gets his offer and starts gaining weight, bad weight? Or his practice habits get sloppy? I had a coach coming to track meets before I officially signed telling me I better keep in shape, and continue lifting. Even after I signed he wasn't too pleasant at an All-Star game. He hinted things sometimes happened and a kid wouldn't make it on campus.

It's a two way street when you talk about committing. I can all but guarantee Miles told Arop to work on his deficiencies, and I don't think he did. I don't think it was knee jerk, and friend or no friend, Chang had to know Arop wasn't going to cut it. Chang may have looked at the Husker's prior to Arop being dropped, but he was going to get some offers that would have been hard to ignore. And before anyone says how bad Washington is, Hopkins is taking over some decent talent and has picked up 3 top 100 players in this class. Washington is a program with energy and a new coach, and most of the world knows Miles' leash is going to be short.

Last edited:
You have to remember that it's not as simple as you painted it here. Miles had no relationships so barely even knew Patton existed, Creighton gets a commit from him and around Omaha the sentiment was "at least one in-state coach knows about the talent here." Miles proceeds to just start crushing the panic button, and offers Arop, to which the metro coaches said "huh"? The one I spoke with even stated "if he would have just asked, i'm pretty sure everyone but South's coach would have told him to hold off and see how he develops, he isn't a B1G player unless he grows or develops his game." So it again went back to Miles offering without getting any input from local coaches because he didn't have relationships. There were multiple other kids those metro coaches would have pointed Miles to if he just asked before Arop. But an offer went out to a local kid without even asking what other coaches thought, the metro coaches said "that's a big reach", and 3 years later the scholarship was pulled, compounding the local coaches ability to say "I told you so" and second-guess the coach down in Lincoln. I mean, Miles is so desperate now, he had Agau's brother that transferred to California down for an unofficial and that kid wasn't even eligible as a senior in high school. He is grasping at any straw possible at this point to get any sort of relationship back.

Last edited:
You have to remember that it's not as simple as you painted it here. Miles had no relationships so barely even knew Patton existed, Creighton gets a commit from him and around Omaha the sentiment was "at least one in-state coach knows about the talent here." Miles proceeds to just start crushing the panic button, and offers Arop, to which the metro coaches said "huh"? The one I spoke with even stated "if he would have just asked, i'm pretty sure everyone but South's coach would have told him to hold off and see how he develops, he isn't a B1G player unless he grows or develops his game." So it again went back to Miles offering without getting any input from local coaches because he didn't have relationships. There were multiple other kids those metro coaches would have pointed Miles to if he just asked before Arop. But an offer went out to a local kid without even asking what other coaches thought, the metro coaches said "that's a big reach", and 3 years later the scholarship was pulled, compounding the local coaches ability to say "I told you so" and second-guess the coach down in Lincoln. I mean, Miles is so desperate now, he had Agau's brother that transferred to California down for an unofficial and that kid wasn't even eligible as a senior in high school. He is grasping at any straw possible at this point to get any sort of relationship back.

Man that's painful to read. Truly amazing it has gotten to this point.

Man that's painful to read. Truly amazing it has gotten to this point.
+1 Even if Miles somehow has a decent season next year, he's got a heck of hole to climb out of as far as still getting Nebraska kids and coaches to consider NU.
I'm admittedly bias because my information is coming from the mentioned metro coaches on their thoughts. You are all right, he has a hole to get out of with them. That previous paragraph doesn't even mention how he wouldn't recruit Omaha and lost an assistant because of it.

Now that being said, Miles was burned by Omaha kids which led him to that conclusion. So do I fault him for the stance, no. But the byproduct is not good, as we have zero scholarship Nebraska kids on the roster again. I'm cool with that stat if we are middle of the pack in the B1G or making the dance. I'm not ok with that when we are sub .500 every year and bottom of the B1G. You get hindsight to look at Patton, Thomas, Hollins, Thurman, and it really stings. Someone once sent me this roster to ponder:

Nebraska recruits
Hollins
Thomas
Patton
Thurman
Daum
Agau

National recruits
Morrow
Watson
Webster
Jacobsen
Roby
Tshimanga

Granted, you aren't getting all those guys for one reason or another, I get it. But that lineup is doing some damage.

Last edited:

You nailed the comment about Arop not having the skills in the eyes of the coaches in the Metro, but I don't think many if any saw Patton doing what he did. A former college ball player, very smart evaluator of talent and slobbering Bluejay fan thought Patton might be able to give them some help in 3 or 4 years, based on what he saw watching him in high school. He wasn't opposed to Creighton taking a shot at him as it's always good to be proactive with the local talent, but he was floored by how his game, body and mindset picked up in a year. Most people I know that the offer for Patton was sowing seeds for players down the road, and a hope to get a year or two of role play.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back