• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 PF Chang offered - SDSU, SLCC, Mizzou

Yeah. Pretty much standard issue with Nebraska basketball. Perhaps someday I’ll write a book of how many mistakes our Athletic Department has made with our basketball program over the decades. It’s hard to criticize Moos’ vision for our basketball program as it’s not yet complete. I’ll wait, but man, it’s hard to not be concerned.

Miles needs the core team back including Copeland in a bad way.
I just don't see how this works in any way. If we get all the guys back (not a given despite none of them being NBA worthy yet in my opinion), Miles' contract makes it impossible to recruit for 2019. If we suck, we should have just canned Miles this year. If we are good we can't capitalize and those guys are all gone for the 2019-2020 season and we are going to get no one good for the 2019 recruiting class.

Miles might have to offer any kid who dunks in a no-defense highlight video just to fill out his roster. He’s not going to be able to recruit in his current situation. Our basketball program is being mismanaged right now on multiple levels. A 2 year extension should have been offered immediately after the season if Miles was going to be retained. $2.2 million is worth 2 recruiting classes not being tanked. Roster talent helps during a coaching search. If this plays out the way I think it will, the next guy who takes this job may inherit a Barry Collier or Doc Sadler type of roster.

I see Nebraska reached out to Chang.

Nope, not worth 2.2 million. If they aren’t confident in Miles, and they don’t have the candidate they want, stay the course.

I just don't see how this works in any way. If we get all the guys back (not a given despite none of them being NBA worthy yet in my opinion), Miles' contract makes it impossible to recruit for 2019. If we suck, we should have just canned Miles this year. If we are good we can't capitalize and those guys are all gone for the 2019-2020 season and we are going to get no one good for the 2019 recruiting class.

Just imagine we have a less than spectacular season, and Moos cans Miles at the end of the season next year. Moos has his candidate in the bag prior to the firing, and it’s a very strong new coach. We immediately attract a couple of strong recruits, and it’s busin as usual with the Huskers, only now we have the energy of a new coach.

Exactly how has this set us back?

Agreed. I suspect that Miles will be coaching for his next job in 2018-19, not his current job. He realizes that if things go badly (and things like injuries, bad calls, and bad breaks are out of his control), he is gone. And if things go pretty well (as they did this year), he probably won't get much of a vote of confidence. In other words, one way or the other, he is probably gone; so recruiting will be difficult. And then we are back to square 1 with NU basketball again. I doubt there are many coaches out there that are anxious to come to a school that does not give an extension to a 22-win coach, and that includes the supposed Moos "ace in the hole target coach."

Last edited:

Just imagine we have a less than spectacular season, and Moos cans Miles at the end of the season next year. Moos has his candidate in the bag prior to the firing, and it’s a very strong new coach. We immediately attract a couple of strong recruits, and it’s busin as usual with the Huskers, only now we have the energy of a new coach.

Exactly how has this set us back?
Because the first signing period for basketball is in November when Miles will still be our coach, and if kids don't sign then they are usually choosing between Kansas and Kentucky. This isn't like football where we can sign a Frost and flip some dudes and get some immediate impact high school recruits. So even if we have a "strong new coach" we aren't getting an impact recruit for 2019 out of high school. Definitely can get some transfers tho, which is what Miles already does.

I'm all about you only fire someone if you have someone better to replace them. But keeping Miles and not extending him sets us back a couple years. He can't recruit, and neither will the new "strong head coach" for the 2019 class and we will hear about how tough of a rebuilding job there is ahead that didn't start a year prior.

Because the first signing period for basketball is in November when Miles will still be our coach, and if kids don't sign then they are usually choosing between Kansas and Kentucky. This isn't like football where we can sign a Frost and flip some dudes and get some immediate impact high school recruits. So even if we have a "strong new coach" we aren't getting an impact recruit for 2019 out of high school. Definitely can get some transfers tho, which is what Miles already does.

I'm all about you only fire someone if you have someone better to replace them. But keeping Miles and not extending him sets us back a couple years. He can't recruit, and neither will the new "strong head coach" for the 2019 class and we will hear about how tough of a rebuilding job there is ahead that didn't start a year prior.
Drat! Drat! The answer cannot be, "same ole same ole". I don't have any answers, but something good has to happen sometime, right? Don't tell me its never gonna happen!
What is the solution? We need to pay top dollar for the coach and give top money for a couple top recruiters. If you tell me that is impossible, then what do we do as husker hoops fans? I guess if we are truly fans, we just settle in for the long haul and be thankful we have a team to root for.

Drat! Drat! The answer cannot be, "same ole same ole". I don't have any answers, but something good has to happen sometime, right? Don't tell me its never gonna happen!
What is the solution? We need to pay top dollar for the coach and give top money for a couple top recruiters. If you tell me that is impossible, then what do we do as husker hoops fans? I guess if we are truly fans, we just settle in for the long haul and be thankful we have a team to root for.
I think Moos was willing to pay top dollar and just didn’t have any takers. But I think the answer is you either extend Miles or get rid of him. Not keep him and not extend.

There is plenty of talent around the country to get players as good, if not better than we previously have. One signing class could be flushed down the toilet with a .500 or lesser season, so a coach’s contract is hardly a unique factor in effects on signing classes.

I’d like everyone to remember that there were plenty who were suggesting we retain Riley in order to keep his recruiting class intact, even if he’d managed to eek out a .500 record. Do we feel our recruiting class that got a late start was a failure? I hate to coin the phrase Aaron Rodgers made famous, but I think we need to ‘R...e...l...a...x....relax. No one thinks this is ideal, but we aren’t making a hefty financial commitment on a coach who hasn’t earned it, to appease some high school seniors who may or may not be future contributors for our program.

There is plenty of talent around the country to get players as good, if not better than we previously have. One signing class could be flushed down the toilet with a .500 or lesser season, so a coach’s contract is hardly a unique factor in effects on signing classes.

I’d like everyone to remember that there were plenty who were suggesting we retain Riley in order to keep his recruiting class intact, even if he’d managed to eek out a .500 record. Do we feel our recruiting class that got a late start was a failure? I hate to coin the phrase Aaron Rodgers made famous, but I think we need to ‘R...e...l...a...x....relax. No one thinks this is ideal, but we aren’t making a hefty financial commitment on a coach who hasn’t earned it, to appease some high school seniors who may or may not be future contributors for our program.
Well, considering you are arguing with the person leading the charge that people wanting to keep Riley so his recruiting class stayed in tact were "morons", your comparison seems a bit foolish considering we've already decided to keep Miles. But i'll let that pretty bad analogy slide since I certainly didn't suggest we give Miles money to appease high school seniors. He's either your coach and you back him, or he isn't. And Moos still hasn't made a decision on that, which is why Hunter left which then made Johnson leave. I fail to see how this isn't setting us back. Your make believe story of "we just get a strong coach" which we've failed to do for quite some time and then that coach we have had trouble getting for years "immediately attracts a couple strong recruits" which we've basically never been able to do either to say "how would that be setting us back" is tough for me to realistically think would happen. Of course, I understand why someone trying to make an argument would speak in such hyperbole, but I just can't get on board with it.

Last edited:
Agreed. I suspect that Miles will be coaching for his next job in 2018-19, not his current job. He realizes that if things go badly (and things like injuries, bad calls, and bad breaks are out of his control), he is gone. And if things go pretty well (as they did this year), he probably won't get much of a vote of confidence. In other words, one way or the other, he is probably gone; so recruiting will be difficult. And then we are back to square 1 with NU basketball again. I doubt there are many coaches out there that are anxious to come to a school that does not give an extension to a 22-win coach, and that includes the supposed Moos "ace in the hole target coach."
Nu isn't far beyond square one now. So there isn't far to be set back.

Moos will hire a quality coach if he fires miles. The Miles situation won't prevent that from happening as it will be very easily explained. "We had a 35% winning coach in conference. I wasn't extending multiple years for that."

Well, considering you are arguing with the person leading the charge that people wanting to keep Riley so his recruiting class stayed in tact were "morons", your comparison seems a bit foolish considering we've already decided to keep Miles. But i'll let that pretty bad analogy slide since I certainly didn't suggest we give Miles money to appease high school seniors. He's either your coach and you back him, or he isn't. And Moos still hasn't made a decision on that, which is why Hunter left which then made Johnson leave. I fail to see how this isn't setting us back. Your make believe story of "we just get a strong coach" which we've failed to do for quite some time and then that coach we have had trouble getting for years "immediately attracts a couple strong recruits" which we've basically never been able to do either to say "how would that be setting us back" is tough for me to realistically think would happen. Of course, I understand why someone trying to make an argument would speak in such hyperbole, but I just can't get on board with it.
I am with you. I agree with all that you say as long as you can help identify the path to success. Moss is dragging his feet for some reason... He should at least pretend to back Miles 100% (incl extensions and raises) Then when he gets the real deal coach lined up, make a swift move and pay the price on both ends. Pay for the best coach and pay his recruiters top dollar. Do everything and anything short of cheating. I believe that it can be done, Miles was only a half step away this season with mostly brand new transfers. Imagine that group (or something similar) with a couple studs brought in with a new coaching staff. Keep a group around like that for a couple years then you have a trend and things will go up from there.

I am with you. I agree with all that you say as long as you can help identify the path to success. Moss is dragging his feet for some reason... He should at least pretend to back Miles 100% (incl extensions and raises) Then when he gets the real deal coach lined up, make a swift move and pay the price on both ends. Pay for the best coach and pay his recruiters top dollar. Do everything and anything short of cheating. I believe that it can be done, Miles was only a half step away this season with mostly brand new transfers. Imagine that group (or something similar) with a couple studs brought in with a new coaching staff. Keep a group around like that for a couple years then you have a trend and things will go up from there.
That's my thing, an AD should never hinder a head coaches ability to do his job. If we would have retained Riley, I would have been furious if he was sitting here with a 2 or 3 year contract. He's either your guy or he isn't. Again, best case scenario is Miles does well but it still leads to no recruits because of his contract. Worst case scenario is we are bad this coming year, new coach who has a diminished pool of recruits and we are bad the year after as well. The bottom line is Moos keeping Miles and not extending him has set Nebraska back at least one year, whether that is this year or the 2019-2020 season, it's tough to get excited for the future that way.

Last edited:

Say you give miles a 3 year extension and he gets a couple nice recruits. Then he predictably flops next year and you fire him. Those recruits stand a good chance of doing just like Johnson did this year when "his" coach bolted and they ask for their release. What's the difference really?

Hunter probably takes that UCONN job either way...we'll probably never know for sure though. But even with an extension he knows the gauntlet is being layed down behind the scenes so he knows there is little job security.

Say you give miles a 3 year extension and he gets a couple nice recruits. Then he predictably flops next year and you fire him. Those recruits stand a good chance of doing just like Johnson did this year when "his" coach bolted and they ask for their release. What's the difference really?

Hunter probably takes that UCONN job either way...we'll probably never know for sure though. But even with an extension he knows the gauntlet is being layed down behind the scenes so he knows there is little job security.

That could very well happen. They probably don’t stick around, at least the talented ones don’t. You never though though, people develop relationships and may look at it as home. Valid point though.

This scenario may not be very likely, but walk with me here. What if the dominos all fall into place and Nebraska has a really good season. Let’s say Sweet 16. The kind of success Nebraska has never had. The decision is made to extend Miles and back him fully. However, due to the slow play, he’s basically thrown a year and a half of recruiting away. Now, recruiting would pick up for sure in that scenario, but the soon-to-be Sophomore class is really a lost class and good relationships for future classes aren’t good.

That could very well happen. They probably don’t stick around, at least the talented ones don’t. You never though though, people develop relationships and may look at it as home. Valid point though.

This scenario may not be very likely, but walk with me here. What if the dominos all fall into place and Nebraska has a really good season. Let’s say Sweet 16. The kind of success Nebraska has never had. The decision is made to extend Miles and back him fully. However, due to the slow play, he’s basically thrown a year and a half of recruiting away. Now, recruiting would pick up for sure in that scenario, but the soon-to-be Sophomore class is really a lost class and good relationships for future classes aren’t good.
I certainly get the downside.

It probably does do a number on the November recruiting period. But as we said...November signees are probably going to ask for a release in the spring if Miles is canned anyway.

But the Spring period can be salvaged with a good season. The conversations, recruiting etc. would be happening as the season is progressing. "Hang in there...don't commit to ____ until february...we'll have a pretty good idea where this thing is headed in Feb." I know it's not ideal. But neither is giving a 3 year deal at this point.

Think about it as an AD might. Remember when SP gave callahan a deal and he was fired that same year? I can't recall if Riley had been extended but I'm sure he was....and I'm sure SE took a beating for that. So if we want to think of Moos in a calculating way he may be thinking of it this way. "Damn, Bill...you just extended the guy for 3 years and now you fire him? That's $6M you didn't need to burn!" Under the apparent current scenario there are a handful of message board types that are not happy about it but...quite frankly...not THAT unhappy. Point being for HIM there is way more downside to the extend scenario than there is to the current one.

The reality is Miles was lucky to have not been fired 13 months ago. Under any other AD situation he would have been. His record at Nebraska, this past season notwithstanding, is absolutely abysmal. The fact that his two predecessors weren't any better isn't a mitigating factor IMO. They sucked too. Nobody can say they or Miles were not given enough time. AND Miles has the benefit of the new facilities and 14,000 people in the stands every night. He hasn't EARNED an extension...if he had gotten it it would have been ceremonial anyway...the guys recruiting against him aren't stupid.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back