• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2017 Royals

Standing
5th in NL West
Record
26-46
Home
14-18
Away
12-28
Only one game out of the wildcard. With a few exceptions, the AL is very competitive this year.
As much as I dislike the Giants, and they suck right now(hahaha) they, like the Royals, are just fun teams to watch. They have this way of coming back in any game. Royals may just be fine by the end of the year.

I'm so torn with KC now.

The Royals are not a team built for the future. But in the mediocre AL Central (and AL as a whole, that doesn't have a dominating team, outside of Houston), they have a chance this season to make the playoffs. A chance. I still wouldn't bet on it. But certainly possible.

The problem is, their farm system ranks as one of the worst in baseball right now. So do you concern yourself with the present (as most fans would naturally do)? Or do you realize what a huge gamble it is to keep this team intact?

Cain, Hosmer, and Moose have been hot the past few weeks. Their trade value is high. Heck, Vargas has good trade value -- and there's no way he'll ever again have this value. KC as a whole has a lot of valuable parts in trades, and the odds are against this being true in another year.

I'd hate to be Dayton Moore.

Last edited:
I would go for one more playoff run. It just hasn't happened often enough in the last 30 years for KC. Don't throw it away. Even improve the team if you have to at the trade deadline. Are there any trade chips that they could move and not hurt the team too much for this year? Maybe sell and buy. They are going to rebuild next year regardless. Any pieces they receive in return will be several years away. I get the "rebuild the farm" process. But see this through.

Took my youngest daughter to the game last night as belated Fathers Day fun. She wore a Gordon shirt and Husker ball cap. The place was rocking a few times and reminded me of 2014-15 (with fewer fans in attendance). Alex made a couple of nice catches but looked totally overmatched at the plate.

I'm so torn with KC now.

The Royals are not a team built for the future. But in the mediocre AL Central (and AL as a whole, that doesn't have a dominating team, outside of Houston), they have a chance this season to make the playoffs. A chance. I still wouldn't bet on it. But certainly possible.

The problem is, their farm system ranks as one of the worst in baseball right now. So do you concern yourself with the present (as most fans would naturally do)? Or do you realize what a huge gamble it is to keep this team intact?

Cain, Hosmer, and Moose have been hot the past few weeks. Their trade value is high. Heck, Vargas has good trade value -- and there's no way he'll ever again have this value. KC as a whole has a lot of valuable parts in trades, and the odds are against this being true in another year.

I'd hate to be Dayton Moore.
I think the AL is competitive rather than mediocre.

I hear you about the Royals and them being in an odd position. Whats even more weird is that their crucial need is a closer.:wow:

I think the AL is competitive rather than mediocre.

I hear you about the Royals and them being in an odd position. Whats even more weird is that their crucial need is a closer.:wow:

I meant to imply the AL Central is mediocre. Not necessarily the AL -- but I can see how it appears otherwise.

I cannot grasp why we didn't hold onto Holland when we decided to trade Davis. Two gambles that backfired.

Last edited:
I meant to imply the AL Central is mediocre. Not necessarily the AL -- but I can see how it appears otherwise.

I cannot grasp why we didn't hold onto Holland when we decided to trade Davis. Two gambles that backfired.
I honestly don't think the AL central is mediocre. I think all the teams besides the ChiSox are pretty good and giving each other losses. The Royals and Indians alone have given the Astros 9 of their 24 losses. When its said and done, the Indians will probably be the team to beat again in the AL.

I honestly don't think the AL central is mediocre. I think all the teams besides the ChiSox are pretty good and giving each other losses. The Royals and Indians alone have given the Astros 9 of their 24 losses. When its said and done, the Indians will probably be the team to beat again in the AL.

Okay, that's where we differ. I think Cleveland has underachieved until recently. And the rest of the division are pretenders. Minnesota is not a playoff team, and they've been the best in the division until a couple days ago. The AL East remains the best division in the AL.

Last edited:
Okay, that's where we differ. I think Cleveland has underachieved until recently. And the rest of the division are pretenders. Minnesota is not a playoff team, and they've been the best in the division until a couple days ago. The AL East remains the best division in the AL.
And yet the Royals have done very well against the east. I think the Red Sox and Yanks have overachieved and would not be shocked to see either at .500 by the end of the year.

Last edited:

And yet the Royals have done very well against the east. I think the Red Sox and Yanks have overachieved and would not be shocked to see either at .500 by the end of the year.

I think you are using KC too much as a measuring stick for what teams and which divisions are good or bad.

Yes, the Yanks have overachieved. That's a young team with its best player being a rookie. 4th youngest team in baseball, in fact.

However, Boston is different. Talent that was young and inexperienced a couple-few years ago is now mature and capable .. Betts, Bogaerts, Bradley. Throw in some veteran all-stars, such as Hanley Ramirez and Pedroia. And two high-paid ace pitchers in Sale and Price. Boston is a team that is constructed to win now. Not saying they won't fold, but they built and paid for that team to compete for a championship in 2017. If they finish .500, the manager will be fired.

Last edited:
Boston and the Yanks are hoping for the young player magic that they had in 2016. I dont have the stats available to me right now but the Sox young guys other than Bogaerts aren't really doing that much. They are the worst HR hitting team in the AL and they play at Fenway. Price has been a disappointment so far. I agree they went all in for this season but I am just not buying the strength of their hand.

The Yanks are actually building a team for once and I think are on their way back but aren't quite there yet.

I would go for it! Buy one more stud starter or reliever. I think the AL will have four good teams going into the playoffs.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back