• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2015 Women's World Cup Thread: USWNT vs Germany (Semi-Final)

This may fall on deaf ears, but Jill Ellis needs some kudos as well. She's taken a lot of heat, but she led her squad to a win over the #1 ranked German squad. The squad that most believed was the strongest in the tournament. Defense is what has this team in a position to win the biggest championship of them all.

Last edited:

I looked at that again and it probably should have been a red....but hey I will take it as we have had our share of cards that were not legitimate...so we were due....

Last edited:
True....but sometimes its best just to let it go.....they still have another game to play on Saturday....and she may be in the stands now after getting a ban for these comments....

• Grant Wahl ‏<s>@</s>GrantIn defense of Silvia Neid, she's being asked these questions about the penalty and the non-red. Not throwing it out there on her own.

Bottom line is the defense and the goalie have gotten us to the final....they have been beyond brilliant....the offense has been nowhere near where it should have been with the talent we have on the attacking side of the ball and that is on the coaches....we are blessed to have such a rock wall on the back four...and a pretty damn good goal keeper too.....

If its what we ride to a world championship so be it....we should be the favorite no matter who we play on Sunday....with this defense and goalie there is no excuse to not close out and hoist the cup......

Should be fun.....

Last edited:
We definitely should be the favorite. Japan is the more likley opponent. As much as people think our offense has struggled, Japan's hasn't been any better, and probably not as good.

Japan does not have the defense that USA has either. But anything could happen, and it won't be a given. All we kept hearing was how the Germans were favored to beat us, and we saw how that played out. 2-0!

Can Jill Ellis lead this team to its first WC title since 1999? We all know Pia didn't do it.

Last edited:
Do not underestimate Japan as some have done....they are 5-0 in this competition....and that is damn good and I do not care who you play against....

Japan's offense has been as it was advertised....anyone who follows them or women's soccer knows what I am talking about....very possession oriented and clinical and they use the whole field.....they have done what they set out to do....and frankly their offense has done what it normally does.....

We will be the favorite....no ifs, buts or ands....and we should be....after beating Germany....

First they have to beat England and then we can start smack talking...because I can tell you my other country England thinks they can win this game.....just spoke to my Uncle in England yesterday and they are very excited for this game....I would not undersell them at all....

Japan's offense has struggled to score goals in this WC much in the same manner USA's has. The biggest difference is the USA has played against tougher competition overall. Possession oriented or not, the objective is to score goals, and Japan has struggled to do so. Their offense has been clinical? If that were true, one would expect more goals, especially against the level of competition they've faced.

Japan scored 7 goals in 5 matches, the exact amount of goals the USA scored in their first 5 matches (not counting USA's 2-0 win over #1 Germany).

FIFA rankings of the first 5 opponents of each team:

(Japan , USA)
19 10
53 5
48 33
12 28
10 16

Average ranking of Japan's opponents: 28
Average ranking of USA's opponents: 18

One common opponent: Australia
USA 3-1 over Australia
Japan 1-0 over Australia

Last edited:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Carli Lloyd: &quot;We didn't come here just to make the final. We came here to win it.&quot;</p>&mdash; Grant Wahl (@GrantWahl) <a href="https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/616057849572012033">July 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

:wave:

Sure you can......;)

:cheers:

Bottom line is its all fun....we all make predictions that we are right on some of the time and wrong some of the time....like I have said often on HM if I am right 50% of the time I'm lucky....and I think that pretty much goes for all of us....and with our massive egos its hard to admit sometimes.....:)

Bottom line is just enjoy it and talk some smack and high five and enjoy the company......

Oh and sneaky trying to slip that sentence in after I answered your original post....

Anyway here is to a USA win on Sunday....:)

After reading it again, Liviu's rankings aren't about who the best teams are.

The rankings quoted above are who he thinks has the best chance of winning the WC.

Having said that, ranking the teams based on chances to win the WC, it's hard not to rate Japan in the Top3, as they are in the easier side of the bracket (although I think Australia can beat them).

Going just off of WC play, I'd rank them:

1. Germany
2. USA
3. Japan
4. France

However, I think the 3 best teams are Germany, USA and France. I do agree with having Canada above England, though.

I'm taking Canada over England.

We all can't offer your brilliant insight like 'Germany and England would beat the USA'. One day, maybe...

Last edited:
All kidding aside should be a great second semi-final tomorrow....

And which ever team makes it through the USA will be the favorite....

Should be fun....

:wave:

Sure you can......;)

:cheers:

Bottom line is its all fun....we all make predictions that we are right on some of the time and wrong some of the time....like I have said often on HM if I am right 50% of the time I'm lucky....and I think that pretty much goes for all of us....and with our massive egos its hard to admit sometimes.....:)

Bottom line is just enjoy it and talk some smack and high five and enjoy the company......

Oh and sneaky trying to slip that sentence in after I answered your original post....

Anyway here is to a USA win on Sunday....:)

I immediately edited that last sentence in there. There's nothing sneaky about editing a post after sending the original. I have no problem telling it how I see it.

Here we are, in the finals (you didn't think it would happen), and Ellis still hasn't gotten credit from those pushing their agenda.

Note: This post was also edited after I hit "Send."

Last edited:
All kidding aside should be a great second semi-final tomorrow....

And which ever team makes it through the USA will be the favorite....

Should be fun....

Agreed. USA will absolutely be the favorite. Will you alter your prediction that they would lose to England or Japan?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back