1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

17 Year Lurker Finally Joins the Fray

Discussion in 'Football' started by Fort Husker, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Smoker

Smoker Ed Force One 5 Year Member

That's the rule!

2. Fort Husker

Fort Husker Recruit

Ha! It is freezing here in Chicago most winters. In 2014 I went to work when it was -50 wind chill (that's not a misprint). And Wheaton is a great town. I used to work in Elmhurst not far away.

3. Fort Husker

Fort Husker Recruit

Would love to! First game I ever attended was the 300th sellout in 2009. Also did:
    2011 v. Fresno State
    2016 v. Fresno State - the Sam Foltz game. Not a dry eye in the house.
    2012 at Northwestern
    2014 at Northwestern
    2015 at Illinois - fun story I was sitting with the Westerkamp brood (there were dozens of them) about two rows from the Nebraska bench. Riley kept having Tommy pass the ball even though conditions were miserable for it (I think Tommy converted like 30% of his throws that day). I got so frustrated I stood up and yelled "Riley, run the ball!" David Knevel turned and shushed me from the sideline. The Westerkamps weren't too happy with me. Very nice family btw.
    2016 at Northwestern

4. All 'N' 011808

All 'N' 011808 Former Walk-on 2 Year Member

Welcome to the board Fort Husker! I found this site read it for about 17 days before I joined. You read it for 17 years. Yet, I see that we are the same since we both bleed the only red that matters...Husker Red!

5. anotherdumbprediction

anotherdumbprediction Recruit

I give you a week before you're thinking, "well, it was only $20."
    Welcome, just the same.

Vinosker and BigRedMax like this.
  6. ThotDoc

ThotDoc Tom Osborne 5 Year Member

Articles:
    That winter they set a weather record for the most consecutive days that the high did not reach freezing (47) and then it hit 34 degrees and then two more weeks below freezing. So, 61 of 62 days below freezing. All of the Great Lakes were frozen over and we had wind chills that hit -65. I graduated that May and only applied to grad schools in the Sun Belt.

7. BigRedMax

BigRedMax Administrator Staff Member 15 Year Member

Articles:
    What took you so long? :D :wink:

Seriously, welcome aboard and the first beer is on @Smoker at the next tailgate. :Cheers:

silvercityHUSKER likes this.
  8. carrolltonsker

carrolltonsker Husker Immortal 10 Year Member

Welcome to the board.

9. Let it be by the code

Let it be by the code My base D is 3 - 4 2 Year Member

Agreed....We're looking for fast blinkers around here.

Welcome!

10. Huskerthom

Huskerthom All Legend 5 Year Member

Welcome to the nut house. Great post.

11. Show Me State Red

Show Me State Red Red Shirt

Thank you for the good motivational hump day morning read!

12. MyBraska

MyBraska Varsity 5 Year Member

Welcome, Fort. I lived for many years in the Chicago burbs in the days before I owned a computer, getting all my Husker news via the Lincoln Journal Star, and felt very alone on that landscape. I wish I had known you were there. Glad to hear your story.

13. Fort Husker

Fort Husker Recruit

You should have ventured to the city! There used to be quite a few watch sites in Chicago. Back in 2010, I couldn't even get a seat at a Nebraska bar for the Washington game, it was so overrun with red. Everyone was really excited about the program then. But Rockwood Place, Beckett's, and Bird's Nest all either closed down or dropped Nebraska as their affiliated bar. I think the only Husker bar in the city is now Kirkwoods.

But there's still GBR fans all over the city. Every time I wear Nebraska gear out and about someone will inevitability shout Go Big Red at me. Also ran into former WR Todd Peterson on the L. He's a surgeon now in Chicago.

14. RedinIowa

RedinIowa 3 star walk on 5 Year Member

Welcome to the community.

15. MyBraska

MyBraska Varsity 5 Year Member

I met Todd one time in Lincoln. One of my favorites. I left Elgin in 1997, and at that point had still never used the internet, so my online isolation was self-induced. I did write a few hard-copy nasty letters to the editor of the Trib or Sun-Times if they dared to be critical of the Huskers, though. Wish I had known about such a thing as "watch sites" in those days.